Steve Jobs: iPad Won't Tether To The iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSteve Jobs: iPad Won't Tether To The iPhone

If you were hoping to buy Wi-Fi only version of Apple’s iPad and tether it to the iPhone then we have some disappointing news. A long time Apple fan from Sweden sent an email to Apple to enquire about iPad tethering, and he received an answer from none other than...

Read the full story here

Comments

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I have a jailbroken iPhone with a cydia app called mywi or somthing like that but anyways it sends out a wifi signal like my wireless router does. So I don't see why it wouldn't work..

• Jeffrey Johonson
    Jeffrey Johonson Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

MiWi will work unless I am missing something here ... no need to jailbreak the iPad, only your iPhone.

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

1. Jobs is an arrogant ****. Love Apple, but Steve an't Jesus. (Jesus ain't Jesus either)

2. It will tether with any app that creates a signal that looks like wife, such as myWi on Cydia.

• Joe got problem with dev team
    via Wordpress

hi guys anybody knows how to jailbreak
    3.1.3 mc model with new bootrom?

• Ben sanders
    Ben sanders Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The better question-does the wifi only model have real a-gps?
    If so, mywi all the way!

• Timothy
    Timothy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I don't see jailbreaking the iPad being an issue since they do use the same OS (or a super-similar one anyway). Why Jobs still uses 3.1.2 doesn't really matter to me (maybe he hasn't found time in his busy schedule to download the update, I had to try six times sitting at my PC without using the internet in order to successfully download the 3.1.3 update). Yeah, I spent 2 days trying to update my iPhone and then I realized that I couldn't jailbreak it then.

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

******i think the reason why Steve jobs is still on 3.1.2 because his iphone is jailbroken******

it is the only answer why he did not update he is waiting for the 3.1.3 jailbreak

sound crazy but it is true

LOL!!!!!!

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress
  • Reguard
    Reguard Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

cant rember but isnt teathering officaly avable in some countries that dont have crappy carriers? and if so y not cant we teather it seems to make sence to me but screw the ipad ill just get a tablet pc that actually has some fuctionality to it saw a decent one that cnet just reviewed

• Tagart
    Tagart Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
  • Tagart
    Tagart Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I totally agree with you about MyWi. I think that when Steve Jobs said this he was referring to the official tethering built in the iPhone. From what I see in mine iPhone tethering looks like it only supports Bluetooth and USB. I doubt that iPad would have a USB port to plug your iPhone into and we all know how much love apple has shown Bluetooth so far. :-P

• Vinko
    Vinko Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I too don't understand why Apple would intentionally prevent the iPad and iPhone from being tethered to each other. The only possible reason I can think of, is that Apple is forced to do so by their respective carrier partners around the world through clauses in their contracts with Apple.

As we all know the only thing carriers believe is to lock customers into long term contracts that they cannot break, or at least not without a high penalty.

Having said that, all the iPhones sold in Hong Kong were tetherable, until the upgrade to OS 3.1, then these iPhones became tetherable only if the iPhone has a SIM card from one of the Apple carrier partners in HK.

Yes, all iPhones in HK are officially carrier unlocked, and all iPhones are tetherable; without being jailbroken, if they are using Apple official HK carrier partners' SIM cards.

Although the iPad uses similar OS to the iPhone, I believe its jailbreakabilty is not necessary certain. Apple may have some hidden feature in the chipsets; in particular the A4 CPU, that prevents the iPad from being jailbroken.

I do not think that we should be forced to sign multiple 3G contracts with our carrier(s), for use on our various mobile devices, but I do believe the WiFi+3G version iPad is the only viable version for a device that is mobile and connected.

• mr apple
    mr apple Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

There is nothing there that says that was Steve Jobs. Why would he even bother... Come on and stop making stuff up... USe MyWi and you will be all set.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

LMFAO, every one is discussing how they are going to by pass this, im still stuck on how Jobs replied, lol straight up "NO" not and explination, not sorry but no, not anything, just NO lol poor dude. I think i would sell all my apple products if that happend to me. Thats just cold. LOLz

• Devin
    Devin Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I was looking forward to tethering the wifi-only iPad to my iPhone, but I didn't expect Apple to release an official solution. If I do buy an iPad (I've decided to wait until I get a chance to try one out at my local App store) then I'll just use MyWi. Why should I pay a second fee? I don't think it will be inconvenient since I won't be pulling my iPad out spontaneously, so I don't think it should be much of a problem- just a hell of a lot cheaper.

• mladd
    mladd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

"I too don't understand why Apple would intentionally prevent the iPad and iPhone from being tethered to each other."

They CAN'T, regardless of what Jobs says. Any phone that can tether wirelessly can connect an iPad to it. Even if it's an iPhone. Apple has made tethering available on the iPhone. The carriers have to enable it in their countries. If AT&T will get off their ass and enable tethering, yes, you will be able to connect your iPad to it, and there is nothing Apple can do about it. Otherwise, EVERYONE will jailbreak their iPhones and do it anyway.