AT&T CEO Claims Variable Pricing Model Is The Future, Sees Less Demand For iPad 3G

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T CEO Claims Variable Pricing Model Is The Future, Sees Less Demand For iPad 3G

Would the data hogs on AT&T network be castigated with a variable pricing model? AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega was the first to hint at such a possibility. However, earlier this year, David Christopher, the CMO at AT&T dismissed these speculations claiming that his company was actually "OK"...

Read the full story here

Comments

• TAGH
    TAGH Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

As long as they DROP the current price for those of us who use less. They always want to raise it for high bandwidth users but never drop the price for the rest of us. Plus they sign a contract with Apple to provide unlimited data on the iPad for $20 a month. They need to stop sending mixed messages. $10.00 for the first 5 gigs and $5 for each 5 gigs after that would be a fair price (none of this per meg billing nonsense.) If the pricing was based on their actual cost it would be $10.00 unlimited (given that they make some outrageous amount like a $1,000 per meg on text messages!)

• Xian
    Xian Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

What's the point of uncapped data plans if everyone get's poor speeds, and even worse, poor call quality?

In Australia capped plans have always been the norm, and whilst the price sucks, the service is fast and reliable. There are some services which are unlimited, but they have a Fair Usage policy.

I can't believe that none of these ideas (as annoying as they can be) haven't even been considered by AT&T in America.

• iPhone user
    iPhone user Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

All cellphones, and almost every device in the world is moving towards some form or Internet connectivity and just like everything there are people that vary in the spectrum of intenet usage. There will be those who use as much as 10gbs or even more and others that will use a messily 10mbs. The technolgy market isn't waiting for cellphone companies to upgrade their networks and as technology mves forward people demand around the clock Internet access at all times. In order to keep costumers happy the cellphone companies will eventually have to be a step ahead of technology and allow a fluid and reliable around the clock network that allows for users to be on the Internet as long ad they please. Whichever company does this, will win the race.

This is obvious because if companies eventually put a cap on data usage, then competition will lead to one company allowing a bigger and bigger cap that will lead to unlimited use. Seem familiar? This is how we got to our plans today

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

Why would i pay more to use more data when they cant handle it as it is? And its not like they are low on resources or money, their busniss whent up 2000% since the start of the iPhone, a explotion that big means alot of money comming in with not enough time to spend it all, hence they still have enough money to upgrade their network, so no i will not pay more for my data usage when i wont be able to use what i pay for cuz their network cant handle it.

• Pulpit
    Pulpit Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Now that verizon has the phone as well I bet there are a lot MORE hacks for it