iDongle - Standalone Tethered Booting For Your Jailbroken iPhone

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiDongle - Standalone Tethered Booting For Your Jailbroken iPhone

The new iPhone 3GS models with updated ROM do not allow users to perform the traditional full jailbreak. As a result, there may be instances when the user may be required to perform a tethered jailbreak everytime their iPhone crashes or reboots. This can be an annoying experience especially if...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dave Dischord
    Dave Dischord Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

That's nice. The price I hope will not be terrible. I have a girlfriend that need tethering and has a bad habit of letting her phone die.

• Trapp
    Trapp Posts: 109
    via Wordpress

Rofl i wouldnt be surprise if apple was behind the dongles themselves xD xD

• Kinvig
    Kinvig Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

@Dave Dischord

I had to laugh at your comment, I guess you mean the fone needs tethering, not your girlfriend ;)

• Dan c
    Dan c Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
  • dwight
    dwight Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Is this a freaking joke? We're supposed to carry around this stupid f#cking thing in case our phone needs a reboot? And we're actually supposed to pay for this half-assed looking, jerry-rigged device? Just give us a new jailbreak that gets rid of this tethered bullsh!t. Geohot, are you listening? Get yer azz in gear and do what you do best.

• mabbent
    mabbent Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

This the type of reply/user who should be banned from replying.
    Let's over look the foul and nasty language, you should be able to read before you make a comment. The atricle clearly states that the device is still a prototype. If you can't see a need for such a device don't buy it, clear a previous poster does have such a need.

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

mabbent is right, and in case you arn't aware of it nobody is charging for jailbreaking.. if you can't wait buy yourself a touch instead and stay away from the iphone.

• dwight
    via Wordpress

Dude's, relax. And I'm going to make a prediction right now. This device will never go into production, ever. People have these things called laptop computers that they carry with them wherever they go. That makes this silly iDongle obsolete. What puzzles me more than how iphonehacks can give this piece of crap publicity is how Geohot and the devteam have totally dropped the ball on a real tethered jailbreak fix.

• King Antonius
    King Antonius Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Wait...so is there a way to jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 MC Models? Even if it only lasts til a reboot? Just wondering, because I always keep my phone charged up so the whole rebooting thing wouldn't be an issue.

• King Antonius
    via Wordpress

Oh, and to clarify, I'm not looking to unlock my iPhone. I just need to jailbreak it so I can tether to my laptop for internet every so often.

• dwight
    via Wordpress

King Antonius, the best, fastest, easiest way to set up internet tethering is with MyWi. It costs a couple bucks but it works every time. Download on Cydia or Rock.

• im the boreds
    im the boreds Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

who needs to carry around an iphone that doesnt work? this fixes that, douche.

• Tweek
    Tweek Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Dude, granted it probably will not go into production, but i can see some nice "How To"z poping up on somewhere like hackaday. needless to say the thing that rely gets me is how people can be critical of geo hotz and the dev team. BE PATIENT, there WILL be a fix to the current boot roms but if you think you can do better, then by all means, stop moaning and do so! ohh and i dont want to be carry around a laptop/netbook all day, this is a perfect temp solution.

patience is the greatest virtue...

• bigd@gmail.com
    bigd@gmail.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Or get MyWi for free with Cydia Repo http://sinfuliphonerepo.com

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

hey dwight..ur not really paying attention, are you?
    King Antonius wants to know if he can jailbreak his phone..not what app will work. if he cannot jailbreak his iphone, he cannot get MyWi Got IT??

btw.. i don't like toting my laptop everywhere either. i actually thought of such a device but never thought to make it a reality. to be perfectly honest..i'm not sure if it'll be worth purchasing..considering the new firmware is right around the corner from being release (i think).

• King Antonius
    via Wordpress

It has a USB connection, so it's safe to assume that as a new OS comes out, then the subsequent jailbreak, all you will have to do is download some updated software for the iDongle and you're good to go.

Also, unlike many people, my laptop goes everywhere with me except to work or the bathroom. So I am never far from iTunes or any other programs, which is the underlying reason why I want to jailbreak and tether my iPhone. Would be nice to whip out my computer whenever I wanted to and be online the same way I could with my Samsung Jack.

• Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

If you actually did a little research, you would see that a poll was taken and they decided to save there bootloader loopholes for 4.0 instead of wasting on any 3.x.x because that would be fixed quickly.

• Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
  • jan
    jan Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

i would love to buy this if its makes my iphone jailbreak,

and the price is oke by me

well done, but if geohot can come up with fix that would be much better, the people how now how to mke the jailbreak possible for us , u have my respect

• f
    f Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

If this thing could automaticly jailbreak a device, that would be awesome. Be like i will jailbreak for 10, go to a phone, plug it in, press a button, and your done.