Apple Patent Hints At Technology To Replace Conventional Keys With iPhone

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Patent Hints At Technology To Replace Conventional Keys With iPhone

Carrying a bunch of keys in your trouser pockets could soon be a thing of the past if a fresh patent filed by Apple is anything to go by. In the patent application, Apple has described a technology that can replace conventional locks with electronic alternatives that can be opened...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Stan
    Stan Posts: 192
    via Wordpress

hey,
    I don't think this is a good idea because imagine your battery is empty , how do you open your door , you are locked outside .... and if you lose your iphone your s****ed ... or even if you want to sell it , you will have to clean it up carefully and everything ... its innovating but there would be too much problems.
    I hope to see other comments to have deferent points of vue :D

• Fig
    Fig Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I agree that if it gets stolen or the battery dies, it would suck. but the locks can possibly have built in chargers to give your phone some juice to open the door, and people run the risk of losing physical keys, too- you just have to be careful

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

All they're doing is cashing in on possible future technology

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

Non-issues. You never design a lock that can only be unlocked wirelessly - you always have a backup method, either a key, or a numeric keypad (preferably both, in case the lock loses power).

You should always wipe your phone before selling it anyway - you already have personal information on it. Best to have a remote solution as well in case the phone is lost or stolen. iLocalis for jailbroken phones, or MobileMe for those too timid for jailbreaking.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

That's My thoughts also, Apple are just forward thinking of upcoming ideas and banking them so other companies cant use it without a license from Apple. I don't like this behavior I think it slows progress down.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

This is pointless. I will still need my keys in my hand to start my truck. Using my phone would take more time and be a pain. Why would I get my phone out, find the app, enter a password, do some waving motion, then put the phone back in my pocket, and then have to get my keys out to start it when I can just hit the unlock button on my Viper remote attached to my keys that I am already getting out to start my truck.

I love my iPhone but this is getting ridiculous. I think the ultimate goal of Steve Jobs is for our iPhones to never leave our hands.

• banjamiz
    banjamiz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It has its pros and cons like anything else out there. Its cool if your in a situation were you forget your keyes you have your phone as back up so you avoid calling AAA. But like some people here said if you lost your keyes and your phone is dead then good luck.

• balla420
    balla420 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

na man..like it says...they already have this tech. surely all the luxury auto makers offer this, or something similar. Even MAZDA (3 years ago) had something like this...but better. No need to type in a password. You just carried around a computer chip (the size of a credit card but slightly thicker) that would easily fit in your wallet. Then whenever the chip gets within 5 feet or so of your car, it would automatically unlock..you can just open the door, start the engine (push button, no key needed) then when you walk away, you don't even have to lock your doors, Once the chip moves beyond the 5 or so feet, the doors automatically lock.