XML Co-Creator Tim Bray Joins Android Movement - Cites Apple's Walled Garden Policies As Reason

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageXML Co-Creator Tim Bray Joins Android Movement - Cites Apple's Walled Garden Policies As Reason

Ever since Apple initiated a crackdown on certain third party iPhone apps last month, the debate on Apple's walled garden policies have once again been hogging the headlines. While a few iPhone apps like Wobble have been tweaked to remain on the App Store, developers of other apps like WiFiFoFum...

Read the full story here

Comments

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

No, Apples mentality will remain unchanged.
    As Devs leave, more are waiting in the wings to take over.
    A Name' leaving the fold and speaking out won't ruffle Apples feathers one bit as they know they have the foundation for the future.
    In this case, one man can't make a change, and there's no way the majority of users would boycott their iPhones due to Investment or Contractual obligations.
    If the masses spoke out as one, Apple would have to listen
    so if safe to say.... It'll never happen

• Jenny
    Jenny Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

@TimW..

Although I value everyones opinion here. I have to say yours is quite odd. "In this case, one man can't make a change..." He may not make make "the change", but people like him will start the reaction of it for sure.

You might as well have said, one vote won't change the verdit - but you would be wrong.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I do see your point about a reaction and would love nothing more than to see Apple 'open' their OS or seriously review their app acceptance policy and publish what they want in plain language.
    But..
    For one persons voice to change a major players business plan, or even start any type of protest reaction, is wishful thinking.
    The head iPhone Facebook dev quit a while ago and stated similar, but it transpired he stayed with facebook and took a promotion instead. 2 days later they released FB 3.0.
    my point is that even though people 'jump ship' and voice their grievancies, they won't topple the Apple mentality, if developers quit 'en masse' then maybe, just maybe, Apple would take notice. Of one voice, they'll sit happy knowing that that place will be filled by the next upcoming dev.
    One vote can change life, but one voice is just words, and no matter how loud, won't be heard unless the same words are from the mouths of the masses.

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

apple has right to protect it's business
    from pirates and viruses.also I m with
    apple for banning adult stuff no body
    likes that to his family to whatch that
    is not freedom like if you see somebody
    nacked in the street don t tell that s his
    body he can do what ever with it!
    apple should find a way to let people
    customizing their iPhone the way they
    want like when you buy a house you have the
    right to customize it the way you want it.
    That s way they sit with saurik and work together.

• Jerry
    Jerry Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Apple following their typical "control freak" business model will eventually relegate the iPhone to the same fate as the Mac (vs. the PC). Android will become the defacto standard OS of the smartphone world and iphone will be the toy for only the most diehard Apple zealots.

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

I would say, as Tim Bray mentions in his post, that whoever gets over the 'native app' paradigm and starts supporting a standards-based (read 'web') app may 'win out', although once that happens, there is no need for a winner and loser.