Sprint Ad Claims Overdrive Mobile Hotspot Makes Your iPhone 4G

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSprint Ad Claims Overdrive Mobile Hotspot Makes Your iPhone 4G

AT&T may be the nation's fastest 3G network and Ma Bell may be fervently building additional capacity to improve its network infrastructure, but that is something competition would not like us to believe. After Verizon ran a series of advertisements targeting AT&T's clogged wireless network during the holiday season, it...

Read the full story here

Comments

• nonoie
    nonoie Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

oh pls we dont need another lie..... we need facts, not some rumors that a network publish....how can u make it for a 4G if u cant even do the 3G... tell it to the monkey...

• henry
    henry Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Really I think that the service is great, but unfortunately not is available yet in NY.... when is ready I want buy one, thanks for your information......

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Why would they target iPhone users? Would any iPhone user pay the extra monthly charge to use a wi-fi hotspot they need to setup and plug in on their MOBILE device!? It's more likely that they are implicitly trying to get iPad buyers to skip the 3G contract, but the iPad is a mobile device too so why would anyone take this over the 3G deal? Do you have to plug this into an outlet or just carry it around having it charged by a battery? If an outlet--POINTLESS and commercial is a complete waste of money.

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

Shoot I'm sure u have to pay for that monthly. Hell no! We get free wifi in many places. Talk about trying to steal customers lmao.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

This is no more no less than a wifi router. Instead of allowing you to share one wired broadband line. It allows you to share sprint's 3G or 4G network connection. It gets the network from Sprints towers and let's you connect to it from any wifi capable device, iPhone included.
    How they thing they can "lure" iPhone users is odd, unless we're talking about unlocked iPhones. A little digging in Sprint's site shows the gizmo costing $99 (after rebate...), upfront and $59.99 per month. I guess Sprint thinks a substantial majority of iPhone users are jailbroken/unlocked and ready to fork over an *extra* 60 buckos for the added speed?!

Must be missing a bit.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

lol no iphone user is dumb enough to pay 60 bucks on top of what were already paying that would be dumb most people have wifi in their homes so i dont see why anyone would do this.

• Asa
    Asa Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

it's not for their homes. It is for the go. It a wireless access point, you don't have to be hacked to use it. You select the wireless 802.11g access point that is the 3G/4G router from sprint. You can leave the device in your back pack and have 4G speeds through Wireless.

• mabbent
    mabbent Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

Thank you;
    It's amassing how many people like the taste of thier foot.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

Foot In Mouth!

Mea Culpa! mabbent is right of course. I humbly apologize for my haste. There's no need to be jailbroken/unlocked as the Sprint gizmo provides a sort of permanent wifi access point. Still $100 + $60/month for more speed? I'd qualify that as delirium on Sprint's part. May be at $30 + $10/month it'd be compelling enough. Even if Sprint was to operate it at a loss, it could at least be a great marketing tactic. Since a lot of speed freaks (like me) would have a permanent Sprint ad in their pockets, purses, back packs and other briefcases.

• davedevo@yahoo.ca
    via Wordpress

This is retarded. Why would I want to carry around a router for the extra speed? And, pay an extra $60. Ya right. Maybe if I was Rollin in the dough. No, eventhen I wouldn't.
    For me, 3G is sufficient for now. I can patiently wait until LTE evolves a little further and until 4G capable devices come to the market. The few clunky ugly ones out there now are not in my taste. Yes, I love iPhone even though I may not like apple all that much. I'll wait for the next generation iPhone 4G to come to the floor.

• JB
    JB Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I think the iphone speed is pretty fast. They act as if it is dial up speed.

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress
  • jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

What I meant to say was...

I could dump my iPhone - get an iPod Touch and use headphones to make calls over VoIP... if this were $39.99/mo I would think about it!

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Not to mention there's a cap as to how much you can download. I think I read somewhere it was set at 300 MB for $60. I think that guy better put a security key on his router.

• ABG
    ABG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I have an Ipod touch and sprint service...I love Sprint service because of the Unlimited Simply everything plan, I get like 3000 Anytime mins, network is pretty stable, especially on phone calls...I love my Ipod too, this would eliminate the need for me to get an Iphone and stay with Sprint, I could still use apps via my Ipod...so for those who have I phones, yes this is retarded, but for those who dont, you could use your ipod or ipad and stay with sprint...just a thought.

• Tom Grugle
    Tom Grugle Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Have the overdrive and use it daily when I'm mobile. When my iPhone can't get a 3G signal, my sprint network is right there as a backup. My iPad works great with the overdrive as well. Since the iPhone sucks as a phone on the AT&T network, I often Skype over the sprint overdrive instead. $60 a month, unlimited 4g and 5 gigs 3 g per month is more than I will ever need. Oh, and it worked in Mexico. People make fun of me until they need an internet connection, then they want the logon for the overdrive.

For some people, $60 a month is not a lot of money.

• Tom Grugle
    Tom Grugle Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Wrong. Unlimited 4g downloads. 5 gigs per month on 3 g.

4 g is present in most major cities.