Should iPad Apps Be Free For Existing iPhone App Users?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageShould iPad Apps Be Free For Existing iPhone App Users?

When Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad at the YBCA on January 27th, one of the significant revelations made was that the iPad could seamlessly accomodate all the existing iPhone apps on the App Store. In other words, iPad users who have already purchased an application for their iPhone need not...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Blue
    Blue Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

Absolutely. This will be a 'deal maker/breaker' for me, on whether I keep or sell my incoming iPod pre-order.

As far as charging for added functionality, there would need be significant added functionality to justify additional price for iPhone to iPad versions.

• iPhone
    iPhone Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

It will be free!!! Every app on iPhone will work on ipad, unless it made for ipad, than you would have to pay.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

yea significant changes for the iPad, and does anyone know what the pricing will be for iPad apps anyway. will they be the same for iphone and ipod touch apps or will they cost an extra dollar or so in general for all apps. an extra dollar wont be that bad but 2 or 3 more for the same app will cause an uproar for a while.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Of course you should pay for iPad only versions. That's like saying I have a DVD and a Blu-ray player. You can watch your DVD on it but if you want to watch it in HD then you still have to buy that same movie in Blu-ray. That's why I'll stick with my DVD player.

• ybt
    ybt Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be free as long as it's not the ipad spacific version. I've had so many different iPhones and iPod touches all my apps were free. It's based off of the iPhone os so why not?

• L33T
    L33T Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Pay. It's like VHS and DVD it's the same thing but you don't get it for free. And upgrades for computer apps charge but iPhone apps don't so deal with it.

• stevie
    stevie Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Should offer 3rd pricing bundle option...

Here's the scenario:
    iPhone version: $0.99
    iPad app: $0.99
    iPhone + iPad App: $1.49 (25% off the total price) to buy both.

If user already both the iPhone version, they only have to pay the difference: $0.50.

I bet this pricing model will increase customer loyalty to the product as well as purchase satisfaction.

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

If a developer has to create a new version, it's not going to be free, nor should it be. You don't ask people to spend time and money to do something without compensation. What they should offer is some sort of upgrade strategy if you've already purchased the iPhone version.

• Motorola Phones
    Motorola Phones Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I was told by my friend that it will be free.! I do not know how true it is.

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I would say free, unless users would like to upgrade to a higher resolution (iPad version) app then they can pay a small upgrade free, and the way to do this can be done easy by using in-app purchase :)

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I meant upgrade fee, not upgrade free, sorry for that :D

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

You just stole that from me except you went back in time

• SantiagoDraco
    SantiagoDraco Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I think it's pretty simple.

If you paid for the app you should get it free. However. You should have to choose which device to run it on. If you sync it to your iPad you should have to remove it from your iPhone first.

Applications are generally sold as a single device/computer license. If you want to run it on two you should pay for two copies. If the vendor wants to discount, great, but the second copy should NOT be free.