iPhone OS 4.0 Features: Multitasking, Folders, Better Mail App, iBooks And More

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone OS 4.0 Features: Multitasking, Folders, Better Mail App, iBooks And More

Apple just given us a sneak peak of its next generation iPhone OS. iPhone OS 4.0 will include 100 new features for iPhone users and more than 1500 new APIs for app developers. Apple previewed the following new features in iPhone OS 4.0 during the special event that was held...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

Why are they releasing the iPad version in fall?? I would expect they release it at the same time..that pissed me off a bit..

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

I think they'll unify the iPhone and iPad platform in iPhone OS 4.0 and need more time for it. We had speculated about this:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/03/will-iphone-os-40-unify-the-iphone-and-ipad-platforms.html

But you're right, it's a little disappointing.

• Shrivatsa
    via Wordpress

Unifying it is fine, but if there is barely a difference between the two now (cause iPad is just 3.2) i would expect they actually release it for iPad as well, and then leave the unification for later. Its not like they will have a massive media event just for the unification anyway.

Its just surprising because they just launched this product that they are trying to push so hard, but they make the more inferior product (in terms of price) get such a huge update a good 3 months before the iPad..it really makes little sense to me.

• TJG
    TJG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Apple is finally starting to negate some major reasons to jailbreak. 3.0 was a start, but 4.0 really hit the nail on the head. Of course, so long as Apple keeps things closed, there will always be reasons to jailbreak.

I would have liked to hear something about calendar appointments/meetings, email attachments, and bluetooth enhancements to name a few things that were not discussed. Maybe in 5.0.

• Shrivatsa
    via Wordpress

I think the only reason to still jailbreak for most people today would be to have customizable backgrounds and OBEX file transfer for bluetooth.....otherwise categories is there as folders, multitasking is there and obviously they are are both better than their JB alternatives.

However, props to the Categories and Multitasking JB developers for doing such a fantastic job without having the resources for R&D. amazing!

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

3g user. yes I'm upset about no mutitasking for me. But at the same time I only have like two more months for this contract to be over with. So I'll see if I stay when 4g comes out.

• moz
    moz Posts: 63
    via Wordpress

The whole OS update is a disappointment for me.
    The only thing that could get me to upgrade the OS is the Game Center and even that update is not of much interest to me. I'll hold on my jailbroken 3G thank you very much.

-I already got Folders installed (Categories)
    -Got MultiTasking (Circutous)
    -Better mail (I can already save attachments)
    -Got switching Wallpapers (BossPaper)

and so much more

-QuickSMS Send/Receive
    -Call/SMS firewall
    -Phone Shake call answering
    -Quick Settings change (SB Settings)
    -Wifi-Scanners (now only available on Jailbroken phones)
    -Password lock on apps
    -Haptic feedback
    -New Gestures/button presses
    -File downloads in Safari
    -Video download in Youtube
    -Picture display in contacts
    -Expose like access to apps pages
    -Support for 3rd party not licensed audio/video cables

• @FastMall
    @FastMall Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hopefully iphone for verizon is next.

• TJG
    TJG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Well, there are still a lot of small reasons to jailbreak. Maybe alone none are enough to make me do it, but when combined, they are significant: SBSettings, LockInfo, QuickReply (for test messages), GV Mobile, Inspell, Elert, etc. Geez, now that I think of it, there are probably still some very good reasons to jailbreak.

• Clepto
    Clepto Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

So how the 6 hour battery life working for you? I have a 3g aswell with like half of what you have and my battery sucks balls

• Klasniedryg
    Klasniedryg Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Apple seems to be a year behind the jailbreaking community. Most of the things that they want to improve on have already been possible with jailbreak

• Brandon
    Brandon Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

They've been possible through JB, yes, but Apples methods to it will be far more efficient, cleaner, prettier, and far less buggy!

Plus remember, they only talked about a handful of the 100 new user features.

• Spook
    Spook Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Still no radio app :(

• peterparker
    peterparker Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

People still jailbreak to get full customization of the Phone & free apps...

• peterparker
    peterparker Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

there are radio apps...try "ooTunes"

• blueice
    blueice Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Thank u thank u thank apple.....ive been debating the HTC EVO 4g since i heard about it....now i know for sure im done with u....The iphone 3g hardware not being able to handle multitasking is as laughable as the iphone 2g not being able to handle picture messaging. DONE and not coming back.

• Spook
    Spook Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Yeah, but they are all for streaming. I want hardware radio, the 3gs even has it.

• SteveJobs
    SteveJobs Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I don't think anyone realizes that Apple knows what they're doing... Go ahead, buy your POS Android phone and when the battery is worse, you don't even get calls, and you pay more to have Verizon or Sprint I will only thank you for opening up more bandwidth. Multitasking is possible with 3g however IT IS BUGGY AS F*CK!!! Winterboard ALONE on a 3G makes it really sluggish. I sold my old 3g to a friend who has T-Mobile and when I saw him the other day his phone was SOOOO SLOW. I took WB off and all he could say was "Holy crap my phone is actually working!? I can play Doodle Jump and its not choppy at all!! I don't care THAT much about a wallpaper and icons, MY PHONE WORKS GREAT NOW!" So really, you call apple chape and YOU won't even upgrade! Any other phone is out dated month to month. Look at the Voyager, PalmPre, HTC, MoTo, you name it there's a new model every month that's better than the last. In 3 years Apple has released 3 phones, all that have been MAJORLY improved. ALL which out of the box work FLAWLESS. How many blackberry's have come out in JUST the past year!? I can think of at least 5. Don't get me wrong, I love hacking my phone for the extras but people who don't actually know what they're doing will only cause it to crash. Apple doesn't need that bad rep. So if you don't like iPhone, go elsewhere. I promise, you'll be back.

• Shrivatsa
    via Wordpress

Yeah, you are right in that sense.

Though you have to hand it to apple, 4.0 was more than i expected. Especially the GameCenter thing....whoa that was literally out of the blue! They are really pushing the competition against the PSP and DS..

• jaksenlanier
    jaksenlanier Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Such a very nice topic about this article i read this artilce and agree with this artilce.

Force Factor

• opmpypumpy
    opmpypumpy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Such a wonderful topic for me.I read this article and agree with this article.Thanks to talking us about this article.

Bactium

• saumlens
    saumlens Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • kkolfan
    kkolfan Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Such a wonderful topic for me.I read this article and agree with this article.Thanks to talking us about this article.
    dermalift

• bevil acqua
    bevil acqua Posts: 1
    via Wordpress