iPhone Web Browser Speed Tests: Opera Mini For iPhone Vs. Mobile Safari

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Web Browser Speed Tests: Opera Mini For iPhone Vs. Mobile Safari

As you may already know, the Opera Mini Mobile web browser for iPhone is now available on the App Store and its already the top free iPhone app on the App Store. The web browsing app had received a lot of rave reviews prior to its launch thanks to claims...

Read the full story here

Comments

• iPhone
    iPhone Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

safari is way better, the quality and controls are easier to use!

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

It's a lot slower even booting iclarified.com website opera is 5 seconds slower thsn safari

• klutch
    klutch Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Try loading iphonehacks on a tmobile iPhone with edge. Time is 1.5-2 MINTUES. opera mini under 30 seconds. The one thing apple will never understand : CHOICES

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

So far I've found Opera to be seriously quicker to load over 3G compared to Safari
    On WiFi, Opera loads quicker than safari but not a huge difference.
    What Im not keen on is data entry and a Non user set zoom rate in Opera
    I really do like the customizable shortcut 'tabs' on Opera's home page
    Then again, it's still only version 1, hopefully the company will listen to the gripes & provide updates frequently

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

the only serious advantage i see is tht y9ou can search for text on a page. This is a VERY nice addition. But otherwise, safari seems better to me.

• anonym1234
    anonym1234 Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Its faster but everything else about it sucks. I don't want some crappy GSM converted website, I want the whole thing or the iphone version!!

• Chavo7
    Chavo7 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I agree with you. In Edge (or even in slow 3G services, like mine) Opera really makes a big difference browsing the web. I think nobody cares about load time

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

Opera mini is a little faster loading iphonehacks(2 seconds) than Safari on 3G but not enough for me to worry about. I like the tabs on Opera but with Safari you can see the entire page on the screen (sideways) and still read the articles(like an actual computer). On Opera you have to zoom to read anything(argh!). Pinch and zoom also makes safari 100x better than opera. But for Edge Opera is the way to go. Still, Opera has allot of improvement till it is anywhere near as good as Safari.

• Macsimos
    Macsimos Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

Safari is definitely more crisp and iPhone friendly, but it's the default web browser that has been out for a much longer period of time on the iPhone and other iDevices. For it's first version on the iPhone, Opera Mini isn't bad. Opera Mini definitely has speed. It just needs a few updates to be a little more refined to be smooth like Safari. Agree?

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I really like the speed on Opera especially when I'm not getting a good signal however I still prefer the look and feel of Safari. Here is a list of things I would change on Opera:

Title Bar - Get rid of it or hide it! All it does is take up space at the top.

Zoom & Scroll - Pinching, double tapping, and scrolling through a page feels like a driver with a heavy foot; it speeds then breaks hard. Safari does the same thing but in a smoother motion.

Speed Dial - Take a look at the Facebook app from the App Store. That's exactly how Speed Dial should look and feel like. I always tend to want to swipe to another page but end up accidentally hitting a Speed Dial. I'd also get rid of the "Recommend to a friend" at the top of the page. Again, it takes up space and if I really want to recommend to a friend, I can find a way to do so without your help thank you.

• metronome
    metronome Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

It doesn't support Ajax! Try going to hotukdeals.co.uk mobile version and you can't expand the posts to get more information. Most likely you can't bolt more content into their file format once it's been rendered.

Epic fail!

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

If it had pinch zoom like safari that would seal the deal for me, but early days, it's certainly got the potential.

I've found since rolling back to 3.1.2 that Safari actually is smoother and closes pages quicker than it does in 3.1.3, anyone else noticed that?
    Think I'll stay on 3.1.2 for now, it just feels 'right' :)

• dennis
    dennis Posts: 89
    via Wordpress

are opera faster than safari ?????please can anyone tell me are opera faster than safari ??

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

not sure if i have a different version, but my version has pinch zoom in/out, its not as smooth but it gets the job done.

no one has mentioned this so i will point it out, unlike the safari browser ive noticed that opera mini actually caches the pages visited, so going back 3 or 4 pages is instant unlike safari which was to reload the page every time.

another sweet feature is u dont have to double tap in order to zoom in, just hold down ur finger for more than a second and let go, and it zooms in.

if the first version is this good i cant wait to see it a few versions down the road.

• Xian
    Xian Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

What kind of metrics do you use when you consider a slightly faster load-up time to be better than a consistently faster browsing experience? I think your review has a fair amount of bias.

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Sigh... Opera has a lot of things to like in terms of speed and functionality. Still screws up some pages and zoom is just two level instead of a nice analog.

I'll use Opera for a while to take advantage of the features but I end up going back to Safari because of a few impossible to ignore annoyances. Best thing about Opera is that it gives some competition to Apple and should, in theory, motivate Apple to do better with Safari.

I may be an iconoclast but I think Safari is at best a mediocre browser and iphone users deserve much better. And that goes for the email and calendar apps as well.

It makes me wonder what development and management constraints are on the Apple dev teams. Er... I have started using Apple products recently after a LONG time with Unix-type os's, RTOSs and Windows. So far, I have been thoroughly underwhelmed.

Nice machines; sometimes great/intriguing UIs; crappy applications*. Poor configurability. Poor utility if your need is not within Apple's locus of approved ways of problem solving. Third party apps for Macs are excellent but Apple is bad. Thoroughly arrogant company (comes from the top?).