Steve Jobs Confirms iPhone OS 4 Won't Support First Generation iPhone

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSteve Jobs Confirms iPhone OS 4 Won't Support First Generation iPhone

When Apple's CEO Steve Jobs gave a preview of their next generation iPhone OS at a special event last week, he had mentioned that iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second and third-generation iPod touch. There was no mention of support for the first...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jnko
    Jnko Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Who still owns a 1g? Stop being poor.

• katsuboi
    katsuboi Posts: 99
    via Wordpress

I've got a 3G, but an upgrade to OS 4.0 and a jailbreak will work for me.

This sucks for 1st gen owners, but it's probably time for them to upgrade to the new iphone coming out this year anyway. Don't know many people who have a 3-year old phone anymore.

• Matt Katawicz
    Matt Katawicz Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I'm a student and I don't make very much money. I have the 1st gen iPod Touch. This is really upsetting. I don't really care about multitasking, but the fact that they won't be supporting it or updating it anymore creates some major problems. I don't think I can afford to upgrade, so I'm not sure what to do.

• d brown
    d brown Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

i have a 2g and can not afford to upgrade, and why should i, i spent hundreds buying this one and should not be held hostage to apple. and if i change then i will proberley go to a better phone. it wont be long before they are doing this to the 3g eh

• d brown
    via Wordpress
  • d brown
    via Wordpress

id like to send my comments to steve jobs, how can i get his email

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

I knew this was coming for the 2g users. Remember when Apple introduced the 3g? Nothing was done for the millions of 2gs it had sold the previous year. There were no consideration to the fact that 2g owners who spent nearly $700.00 could not upgrade because of AT&T contract restrictions. Apple completely ignored its most expensive 2g owners, or was telling them f you for buying Apple's first generation smart phones.
    By next summer (2011) 3g and most 3gs will be obsolete if one is go by Apple's pattern. So, today it's the 2g owners; next ones in line are those who with today's latest iphones.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

honestly, its not that big of a deal. Its 3 years into its cycle, and the difference is just huge. I am sure they need to keep the experience good. Alright suppose you did update to 4.0 on the first gen iPhone....and it becomes sluggish beyond belief. You will still crib about it, so either way Apple gets shot at.

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Look, I don't mean to be offensive here, but whether it's the iphone or a computer, newer OS's usually only support hardware that's a generation or so old. Try running OS X Snow leopard on a G3/G4, or Windows 7 on a Pentium 2/3! The iPhone is still a computer at it's heart, so it will be governed by the same rules of support. Is it right? Is the industry pulling a fast one? No, it's just that newer OS's always take advantage of improvements in technology, and the improvements do not always translate in to backward compatibility.

• Traxx Trigga
    Traxx Trigga Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

preach! ... still sucks for my GF who has a 2g tho.. i got her to get an iphone because it was said she wouldn't have to upgrade her phone (hardware )ever again because of the "forever changing interface" due to having no buttons and it being full touch screen... but they forgot about GPS - and 3g and now faster hardware.. I'll just get her the new one when it comes out

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

sigh my 3g screen is going out apple says will cost 200 bucks to fix so i am just hoping i can limp it along till i can upgrade to the next gen iphone

• Troy
    Troy Posts: 45
    via Wordpress

I agree with Brian, why do you hold Apple to such a high standard when just about every electronic device becomes outdated and is no longer supported. Most motherboards don't get bios updates after the first year.

It's not like Steve Jobs is going to flip a switch and all those first gen phones and touches will stop working. They just don't get the latest and greatest features.

We should be lucky that Apple gives us new features for a couple of generations, that usually wasn't a standard on phones prior, so please stop.

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

its just a reason to make people buy another damn iphone... smh

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

Whats the difference between the 2g hardware when being compared with the 3g except for the 3g antenna? They both have the same cpu, ram and memory dont they? I have a 3gs that I use but I also have a 2g that I gave to my brother.

• Manny
    Manny Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

This sucks for people with older models and they cannot afford to upgrade. However, this is how technology works. Companies are always inventing and selling the latest product. Same with computers, phones, televisions, cars, etc. I don't see why Apple should be held to a different standard. Even though your phone is an older model it still should work properly. If Apple somehow forces you to upgrade then that would be wrong!

• ern
    ern Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I have a 1st gen iphone and I will never pay full price for a 1st gen. Apple product! I may buy a used 3GS just so I don't have to give Apple anymore money.

• Rocky
    Rocky Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

I started with a new 3g, but my area has zero 3g coverage, so I sold it and went back to a 2g, I could care less about new features, plus I save 15 bucks a month on the 2g.. My iphone does more than I need to to, thanks to jail breaking it.

• Thorgvin
    Thorgvin Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

heymatt,

you have a working ipod touch, right? you have no problems.

If it develops problems, you will have to pay to repair or replace it - that's life. You want new features? Hurry up and graduate and get a better job. Or teach yourself software engineering and hack something together yourself.

Apfel can't afford to test and tweak the updates for your phone - they use revenue from past sales to pay for testers on older platforms up to a point, but your ipod's past that point.

happy

• Thorgvin
    via Wordpress

hey d,

you spent hundreds on a 2g with its featureset at the time and a limited amount of support and update, which has now expired - live with it as it is now or go elsewhere.

No one is holding you hostage.

• Thorgvin
    via Wordpress

Apple does suck ... didn't you know this before?!

No need to point out the obvious.

• Thorgvin
    via Wordpress

I suppose the only people who can legitimately claim to be held hostage are those who have a larger investment into iphone than just a phone contract.

Such as those who have a large collection of DRM itunes stuff and/or apps.

But even that's not a legit claim, as they will always be able to continue enjoying what they paid for as long as they don't expect free updates.

They can either upgrade their Apfel hardware to stay in the platform and keep their content. Or keep their old hardware to keep their content without further cost. Or they can bite the bullet and go to a new platform and lose the value of their old content (they'll still have it as long as they lug around their old iphone with whatever new phone they get, but it defeats the purpose of convenience).

• Thorgvin
    via Wordpress

"wouldn't have to upgrade her ... (hardware) ever again" ... people are still falling for that?!?! Really?!?!?

This doesn't apply to phones, computers, cars or even houses really. Not even to humans.

• Brandon
    Brandon Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

I know right?!

These people need to stop complaining about not getting the OS update and start complaining to their parents or about getting a new phone. (I only say "parents" because they whining like little kids!) I mean a 3G is only 99 bucks! I used to have a 2G, upgraded to 3GS last summer. The difference is unbelievable. There is no doubt in my mind that 4.0 on a 2G phone would make it fail hardcore.

• Zeh
    Zeh Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Don't be ridiculous.
    The iPhone 1st gen is great. Nice piece of hardware.
    It's just a matter of time. The jailbreakers will deploy 4.0 with all the features to 1st gen iphone and ipod touch.
    I'm using my 1st gen iphone with A2DP stereo bluetooth and it's great.

Stop being so mentally poor.

• Zeh
    via Wordpress

And i will only get the iphone 4g. I don't think there is enough new features to upgrade to 3GS. Have used one and it is just about speed.

• Zeh
    via Wordpress

It's proven. The 2g hardware can do more than Apple wish to.
    It's nice.
    No need to upgrade now.
    I'll only buy a new iphone with A4 processor and ichat. That would be great.

• mydan99
    mydan99 Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I have the iPhone 3G and i know i cant have multi-tasking, but with OS 4.0 JB'd i can install multiflow and backgrounder as multitasking. Also i heard that you can edit the plist on OS 4.0 so that multi tasking works on 3G... Has anyone else heard about this...?

• far
    far Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Jobs said iPhone cant do certain things, but Jailbroken 3G iPhone can multitask really well seeing its hardware is outdated. Imaging how 4G iPhone will fair. I have 3G iPhone and can run 6 apps in background with hardly and lag

• Steveo
    Steveo Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

first off ... I have a 1 Gen phone and my parents have nothing to do with it.. or being cheap... I HATE AT&T and will not use them... I prefer Tmoblie....

And the phone only costs 99 bucks if you have a AT&T **** contract and the RIP OFF data plan.....

i may not upgrade due to the fact that I am tired of APPLE holding out on FLASH for the Iphone and since CS5 ports applications to the Iphone why would anyone stay with this smart phone since 75% of the top wevsite use flash and you can not view it... WTF Steve Jobs pull your head out of your ass and catch up.. either sell an app for the iphone that you can make tons of money off of or let us hackers do what we do and stick it in your ass for being selfish!!!!

• filthyjason
    filthyjason Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

LOL, wow, yeah, I'm sure a screenshot of an email thread must be true! Really? did you have to show us the screenshot? haha! Well there's no getting around that type of proof.

Not that I care really, it's just funny to me that someone shows that as proof.