Apple Reportedly Working On Mini iPad - To Launch In Q1 2011

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Reportedly Working On Mini iPad - To Launch In Q1 2011

It is just over a week since the iPad launched in the US. However, we are already hearing rumors of Apple working on an iPad with a different form factor. According to reports on Taiwanese publication DigiTimes, Cupertino might launch a mini iPad as early as the first quarter of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• skg
    skg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i think the ipod is the smaller version of the ipad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reed
    Reed Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Mini iPad? They could call it.. the iPod! ;)

Seriously, I'm a huge Apple fan, I have an iPad now and a 3G on order. However, this "innovation" reminds me of the Hudsucker Proxy, when they're brainstorming ways to make money off the hoop. A larger version for the portly, a version with sand in it for the hard of hearing, etc. Hardly innovative, coming from such an innovative company.

• graphixauthority@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

Heck no. But if it runs all the appstore apps then it may be a nice alternative for a kid/teen to use for scholastic purposes or entertainment.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

True, but lets remember that this is just a rumor, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Let's not judge them for something they haven't done. They haven't given us an opportunity to complain when it comes to innovation (especially if you look at other tech companies).

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

this is BS - Apple is looking to be bigger and better not smaller and cheaper

• Ron
    Ron Posts: 69
    via Wordpress

I would prefer to see a larger version; something like two sheets a paper size. Might be unwieldy, but would certainly be cool!

• Mark Dionne
    Mark Dionne Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Ever since getting an iPhone, I have wanted a bigger one, but one that would still fit in a large pocket. I was disappointed a bit when the iPad came out.

When you consider all the work that developers would have to do to make yet a third size of apps, it seems unlikely that Apple would do this.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I thought the whole point of the iPhone was so that we could carry less stuff around. Remember when people had to carry car keys, a phone, a gameboy, a map, and a camera back in the day? That's why I don't believe in the iPad and that's why I think a "Mini iPad" would be a total joke. I'm still waiting for digital driver's licenses so I don't have to carry my wallet.

• EskimoRuler
    EskimoRuler Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I don't see there being a need for a smaller iPad. It may be useful for some but anyone who already has an Ipad is not going to want to a smaller one. Apple already was marketing to a small amount of people with the iPad. This mini iPad would be an even smaller market.

• Blah
    Blah Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Even if someone wanted one to just focus on reading ebooks the iPad Is just a bit bigger than a book. It's still really thin though. If they wanted something smaller they should just get an iTouch or iPhone.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

I think you are right,

and take it with not pinch, but a nice fat bag of salt. MINI iPad...how much smaller will they make this? its already 10 inches...what 7inches? are u serious? Apple is retarded.

You can see the massive ecosystem of apps the iPad is churning out, they cant create yet another fork to confuse consumers...honestly i am quite certain apple does not CONFUSE customers in that way.

• Devin
    Devin Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I say go for it. Apple is just looking for ways to let people have exactly what they want and at the same time make money. There's nothing wrong with that. After all they are a bussiness and need to profit.

• Jedoonat
    Jedoonat Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I think making a smaller version of the iPad is a bad idea. Then again who really knows the final conclusion till the release. I happen to like the iPad's current size. I think that 9.7" is practically perfect!

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

The iPad is not meant to replace your iPhone, it's meant to complement your laptop/desktop. Clearly not a "must have" but perhaps a useful tool for some and a primary laptop/internet device for others.

A smaller form factor may not appeal to everyone but it doesn't have to. Apple just has to sell enough to make a profit. I'm just interested in seeing the specs, if they can fit almost the same functionality into a smaller device, they can certainly add more to the iPad. Some of the missing features I was looking for could have a chance (user facing camera, USB or SD port, video out).

• anonym1234
    anonym1234 Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I would absolutely buy something like this! I want a bigger iphone not a smaller laptop that can't even perform as a laptop (iPad)

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

If you mean "retarded" as in generating a 40 billion dollar bank account, then I'd love to be retarded!

• John
    via Wordpress

I agree.

Too many people seem to be blind and ignorant to new ideas and ways of doing things. Apple is known for reinventing ways of doing things and it's worked out wonderfully for them so far.

The nay-sayers are quick to judge and bash every new apple product. Who cares? Really though... If a product appeals to me, I'll buy it. Plain and simple.

And if I don't like a product, I'll ignore it. And be done with it. I'm not gonna get online and search for every post containing that product and create a million accounts just to post how crappy that product is... It's pointless.

The ones who want a tablet with a full OS, usb, etc., then don't buy an ipad. Problem solved.

I personally could find some good uses for the ipad. I'd use it as a reader, web surfer, email, video, while taking a shyt in the crapper. Also while I'm layin in bed but not quite sleeping yet. It could sit on my coffee table for friends to quickly get online.

Why would I want a full OS? I have a home pc and several full fledged notebooks for that already.

• tai376
    tai376 Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Hey y'all it would be called iPad Mini. Not Mini iPad.

On topic it would be lame.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

oh **** i meant to say ***ISN'T***

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 45
    via Wordpress

of course, with a name like mini iPad, the risk is what people would start call the current larger iPad? lol

• hemingway25
    hemingway25 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I dont see why its a bad idea, how many different version of the macbook pro and ipod are there? The key to a mini ipad would be the same as it is with the different ipods, price and space.

• nsfw
    nsfw Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I might actually buy this. the current ipad is unwieldy.

• Hmmmm
    Hmmmm Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Apple are taking their fanboys for a ride.

spit out a new ipod every year. new colour so thats an extra £50 for that
    Iphone was a great success, so they make a bigger version, now thats popular they are making a smaller version. you fanboys will keep buying them, theyll keep conning you. what next a big iphone (not ipad) a phone.
    atleast the ipad was a decent price for a change instead of usual apple charging double what its actually worth.

steve jobs doesnt care about you, he cares about his wallet and slowly monopolising the market, so everyone has to go through itunes to buy anything

Apple = new microsoft.

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

But wait till the iPhone 4.0 comes out in June and everybody back on the bandwagon. Who cares you like it buy it and if you don't then don't

• GENEX
    GENEX Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

YOU NEVER GOING TO HAVE THAT KING OF MONEY BECAUSE. YOU DONT HAVE A MILLION USER THAT NOT MATTER WHAT APPLE INVENTED THAT MILLION STUPID PEOPLE BUY. THAT THE WAY APPLE MAKE MONEY. **** THAT LIKE

• Clark
    Clark Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I personally think that there wouldn't be much of a need for this product. The only thing that could get me to buy it is a really good price tag. I mean the 32 GB iTouch is $299 and the iPad is $499. This would make a $400 eBook reader that no one would use. Just my opinion.

• Zeh
    Zeh Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Ipad nano. That would be great i think.
    Not so small like an ipod and not so big as an ipad. Apple go the picture with the iphone OS.
    I really can't understand why MS and other companies never figured this out.

• John
    via Wordpress

Apple isn't taking anyone for a ride. It's the consumers themselves that are taking other consumers for a ride.

Apple products have a high resell value. That's key to their products.

I paid full price for an iphone 2g when it first came out. Sold it for $250 and paid $199 for an iphone 3g. Sold my iphone 3g for $350 and paid $199 for an iphone 3gs. Guess what? I'm gonna sell it again this summer for around $350 and buy the new iphone. Who's losing money here? Not me, I could care less about the contracts. I need a phone and will pay a phone bill whether I'm on a contract or not.

The same with ipods, they resell very well and are hot items. I sold my att tilt for $50 after trying to sell it for a few months but couldn't get a buyer.

All companies are in the business to make money. Why single out apple?

• xenosteel
    xenosteel Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I think everyone will hate me for saying this: Maybe its a very late April fools' joke?

• Vipin
    Vipin Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

no ipad 9 nich is the best to view contents in nice way. small screen sucks by the way ( 6-7inch) .if the put camera ,steming contents and so other ectra features