iPhone OS 4.0: Apple Removes Google Branding From Mobile Safari Search, "Rate To Delete" For Apps

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone OS 4.0: Apple Removes Google Branding From Mobile Safari Search, "Rate To Delete" For Apps

Earlier this year, there were rumors that suggested that Apple was in negotiations with Microsoft to bring the Bing search engine to iPhone users. This was seen as a move to potentially replace Google as the default search engine on the iPhone. In addition to this, there were also speculations...

Read the full story here

Comments

• annaonoimous
    annaonoimous Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Apple has not completely removed 'Google' branding from Mobile Safari.

The placeholder for the search-box still reads 'Google', and 'Google Suggestions' appear when typing something.

The main reason is probably because google has previously expressed it dislikes it's brand being nounified, this is probably why Apple replaced it with the more generic 'Search'.

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

I just wonder if this is going to start problems. So apple must of found out that u don't need to us google name to use there search engine. Maybe there a hole in google agreement. If there isn't a hole that's problems for apple. Watch this is going to piss google.

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

The rate on delete might seem to skew ratings lower because of the associated action, but it is a good counter-act to the rate flooding most developers do to boost their ratings.

• Amadeus
    Amadeus Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

On 4.0 now... Googles still there...

• Hmmm
    Hmmm Posts: 45
    via Wordpress

does this mean i cant use google in the search bar or is it a choice?

will i have to go to the website now?

apple startin to pee me off now. search engine should be up to the person using the phone not apple.

its my bloody phone not apples, let me choose how i use it.
    what next, apple gonna block the Microsoft site cos they dont like them

steve jobs your a tosser.

• Hmmm
    via Wordpress

how are you on 4.0? its not out yet is it

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Yup, thanks for pointing it out.

And that could be a reason. We have updated the post with your views.

Thanks!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

We have updated the post with screenshots from iPhone OS 3.1.3 and iPhone OS 4.0. It should give you a better idea of the change made in iPhone 4.0.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Apple has released iPhone OS 4.0 Beta to developers of iPhone Developer program.

• Hmmm
    via Wordpress

ah.

whats the verdict then, any good or aload of hype for nothing.

curious to know what 4.0 does that i couldnt already get from cydia

• Hundra
    Hundra Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Bing is crap......

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress
  • Steveo
    Steveo Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

Bing is definitely total crap! I hate the stupid name and it never gives me what I'm looking for. I don't really like Yahoo either.

Google is the only one that consistently gives me what I'm looking for in the first few results. Also, they have great software spanning many areas. Apple better not ever take away my right to use Google. It is my decision and only my decision to choose my search engine!

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Ummm wouldn't "Google" be used as a verb here, not "nounified?" Google is a proper noun to begin with--it's used as a verb here, which is something they dislike as you correctly noted. Why? Google, the verb, is in the dictionary now, which means anyone can use the word google and not be sued for it.