Steve Jobs Responds To Complaints About Apple's Decision To Ban Apps Built With Cross-Compiler Progr

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSteve Jobs Responds To Complaints About Apple's Decision To Ban Apps Built With Cross-Compiler Programs

Mashable has just reported that Apple’s CEO, Steve Jobs has weighed in on Apple’s decision to ban applications built with cross-compiler programs in the iPhone developer SDK agreement for iPhone OS 4.0. Developer Greg Slepak, CEO of TaoEffect claims to have emailed Steve Jobs to voice his concerns about Apple’s...

Read the full story here

Comments

• steeeve
    steeeve Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

so all apps thusfar made prior to the new TOS are substandard.....straight fom SJ himself , , ,

asshole

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

I think it's a bad move on Apple's part... and agree 100% with Greg. Developers don't like it when they have to write special versions of their software for certain platforms... it is VERY discouraging. Sun lost the "write once, run anywhere" war for Java (in my opinion) and Apple was a big part of that loss... now Apple is taking it a step further with the 3.3.1 TOS stuff.

It's too bad too because they've done so well up to this point.

• bennisatva
    bennisatva Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

It's in Apple's best interest to streamline any of their products, from developer concept to finished Apple software on Apple hardware. The more Apple can buy up chip makers and advertising agencies to control their user experience completely, the more they can sell a "consumer experience." If Apple demands that developers use Apple dev language, they are going to be more familiar/comfortable with Apple products... and help push the business forward. They are not in the business of being fair to all, they're in the business to make their own best products, and earn income.
    The discussion reminds me of the old model-T car drivers who probably complained that trains used their own "tracks" and got to destinations in an indirect way.. not the easiest route necessarily. It's in the train's best interest to do things their own way. They make more money, and get more riders on the journey.

• samsung jack10835
    samsung jack10835 Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

apple is becoming to suck now windowsmobile and android is better to many rules with apple.

• FRANK HOGG
    FRANK HOGG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Flash does not work well on a Mac. Whenever I see my Mac slowing down I look for and always find a browser window with Flash running and once closed the problem is cured. For reasons known only to Adobe, they chose not to have Flash work as well on a Mac as it does on a PC and they are now paying the price for it.

Flash is bad software on Macs and the sooner it dies the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm pleased that Apple is banning software that was made to work on junk from running on the iPhone. Adobe, for whatever reason, caused this problem, they could fix it, the real question is why they don't. So don't blame Apple for protecting their product by keeping software that crashes from running on it.

I use a product, ClickToFlash with Safari to selectively block Flash on websites. That has reduced my problem with Flash but occasionally I do need to see the Flash content and just click to see it. Using ClickToFlash has reduced the crashes from Flash. The fact that ClickToFlash exists shows that Flash is unreliable on a Mac. Again it's Adobe's buggy software that got them banned. If and when they fix it they can make an argument for it. Until then they are just trying to foster a defective product on Mac users. My hat tip to Apple for standing up to a monopoly like Flash and making a stand against buggy software and companies like Adobe that refuse to fix it.

• Petey
    Petey Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'd found ways to defend apple on most of it's controversial decisions until this. For me, this is the last straw, and i really think they're crossing the line. It's one thing to not support flash in the browser, it's another thing to stop people from using an adobe product to create an application. I'm bloody angry.

• PeterSW
    PeterSW Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

As a noob dev for iPhone and Mac I thought I'd add my 2c worth...

I think the HTML5 CSS and Javascript guys are fine but the other frameworks aren't a good fit to recompile into the iPhone/iPod Touch / iPad dev world.
    Even PHP and Python have limited usability to recompile (thinking Titanium).
    This is why PhoneGap and Titanium (and others) that use the HTML5 CSS and javascript route are kosher. Apple after all is supporting HTML5 development in-house with iAd and these run fine.
    Performance and memory release issues are the really critical thing here - esp when looking at the multitasking and backgrounding requirements and sleep/suspend app capabilities.

None of these are insurmountable and given that XCode allows use of Obj-C, C and C# (the latter of which is the real lingua franca for coders) I don't think it's a major problem.

If you're a flash dev and want to write iPhone apps I think an export to CSS/ HTML5 and JS would be more lightweight than a container app anyway. XCode would compile these just fine using the PhoneGap template and the result would be a light, fast app. If I were Adobe I would write a flash to HTML5 export tool and consider the job done.

Oh and I might buy Appcelerator because Titanium is sweet...

PeterSW

• Patrik
    Patrik Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • e
    e Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

English. Do you type it?

• Timuric
    Timuric Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Adobe should ban cs5 for mac :D that will be fun!! Well atleast they can make it expensier

• Fukc you
    Fukc you Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

YOU ARE A STUPID MOTHERFUCKING IDIOT

• Suzoongu
    Suzoongu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I am sorry... Steve Jobs is going to loose this battle... Out of pride he won't allow flsh on the Ipad or Iphone... and he will probably refuses to allow it on lap and desk tops... Well so far the video in HTML 5 does not look as good as Flash, no one is going to write a game in html 5 only to have every one rip off by viewing the source...
    1) When Chrome OS Tablet comes out and more and more people can experience the entire internet from their open tablet... and the sap sitting across from you with the Polly Pricy Pants Ipad only gets to view a couple of Sites... the sucker with the Ipad will know he has been duped by Jobs...
    2) When the Killer app comes out for all mobile phones and tablets accept for Ipad and iphone... you can bet people are going to say... well you elitest green tea bag hippies can your Ijunk... I am going to a more open platform so I can view and use what ever I want and not what Steve Jobs says is okay

• Macination
    Macination Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I could not agree with you more. Well said! I have been an Apple product fan for many years but this situation tears it. I am done with Apple placing restrictions on how I use the technology that I PAID FOR!!! Enough with Steve Jobs. If he continues this line of proprietary ownership and dictatorial logic, we will be sitting back following his demise on our open source Google tablets.
    At this point, the only way to slay the egotistical giant is for developers to stop being lured into the Apple money machine, grow a set and STOP whoring themselves for a few bucks in the app market. While Google is no saint, at least they want developers to have an open world for their creativity versus the locked dungeon at Apple headquarters.