Adobe CEO: Apple's Decision To Ban Flash-To-iPhone Compiler Really Isn't A Technology Decision As Mu

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAdobe CEO: Apple's Decision To Ban Flash-To-iPhone Compiler Really Isn't A Technology Decision As Much As It's A Business Decision

April 12 was a momentous day for Adobe. The company officially unveiled its latest version of Creative Suite (CS5) that will bring a whole new version of products like Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign to the market. However, the unveiling was overshadowed by an Apple decision announced a couple of days...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

Honestly, although im a HUGE apple fan, i do think jobs is being slightly too anal about this. If flash is buggy, they should work with adobe to bring it to the iPhone OS. Fair enough they have put all their weight behind HTML5....but look at the result, every single person competing with them has flash....now if Adobe ends up making flash a lot better (in terms of processor usage etc) and the rival devices have almost no detrimental effect on battery life and speed, Apple's one and only excuse for it no being there goes poof. Then what?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

The problem is we've heard Adobe say that they're working with their partners to bring Flash to smartphones for quite sometime now and we'll have to still wait until second half of 2010 to see how well it works.

iPhone was launched almost three years back and Adobe had enough time to convince Apple. We don't understand why Adobe thinks it's not a technology decision, that decision was to go with HTML5 as Flash doesn't work well on any smartphone currently let alone the iPhone.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Flash for the i-Phone/Pad is a dead issue.
    HTML5 is all that Apple will allow
    Personally, I think Flash is rubbish, forever crashing, so good riddance to it.

• Daksh
    Daksh Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i just wish that apple can keep the OS open to users as OS X is...that wud make life much easier for people to decide whether they need functionality, battery life or speed...apple products...which are so awesome..are forcing consumers to buy them..and these consumers buy these idevices with a hope that the next major software update will make life alright..as for me..i'm kewl wid imobilecinema for flash videos atleast!

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

I think adobe needs to stop being on apples butt and forget them. Why would they want to do business with Steve jobs, He already said they suck. Adobe Said apple is only doing this because apple love to keep there garden closed and that it's a business move that would benefit apple, Of course it would and it would benefit adobe if apple allows them to put flash on to. This is not about the ppl it's all about the money and the ppl are paying the price. Apple and adobe need to grow up and work it out for the ppl.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I don't see what the big deal is with flash. I never really even use it on my desktop. I'm glad it stays off of my iPhone. I really like the HTML5 content in the iAds Steve Jobs showed back on the 8th and I think that is the way to go. Adobe needs to realize that sometimes a technology dies. Flash has run its course in my opinion. Also, flash was never designed for smart phones. I don't like seeing things like flash being ported to a device that it was never intended to run on. Flash sometimes requires keyboard input. It almost always requires mouse input. There are certain mouse actions that do not make sense being ported to a touchscreen phone.

I'm glad that Apple realizes that software needs to be designed specifically for the hardware it runs on. Instead of doing something like Microsoft trying to run Windows 95 on a phone. That made no sense. The iPhone OS is great and one of the things that sets it apart from other smart phones. With a device such as the iPhone, I believe Steve Jobs has every right to be more protective and selective with what goes on it. It ensures that every iPhone runs as intended.

Also, I'm not a huge Steve Jobs/Apple supporter. I've been buying/building PCs since the mid 90s and have never owned a mac. I've used every version of Windows since 3.1 and really like 7. The iPhone is the first and only apple product I've ever owned but I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other phone. I support Jobs' position on Flash. Adobe should just stop worrying about the smart phone market. If they want to create a new technology specifically for smart phones, I say go for it. I don't think they should stretch Flash any further though. Websites have mobile versions of their sites for a reason. Adobe can't expect the iPhone to run like a desktop. Battery life is already an issue as it is. I sure don't need some flash content making my phone work overtime and draining the battery.

• Young James
    Young James Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i totally agree dude , said it perfectly

• Tyler S.
    Tyler S. Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

You are missing a couple of important points, first, flash does not always require mouse or keyboard interaction. I happen to be a flash/flex developer and can tell you it is one of the few languages out there that has full support for accelerometers and multi-touch built in. The language has all the potential to be a great platform for applications on these devices, and to create extremely unique web experiences. How many websites have you been to on an iPhone that support multi-touch or accelerometer input? flash could make that possible on the iDevices, something JavaScript, HTML5 and CSS3, Apple's official party line simply cannot. And it could do this with one site, not having to develop multiple sites for every platform but just checking the device and changing the way the input works.

Another important point is that Adobe already made a market change and wrote a mobile technology for smartphones, flashlite, it has been around for years and supported on over 150 phones running Brew. The issue is that it is a truly mobile solution and not the same as the desktop flash, which is what users want. Adobe appreciates their customers and responds to their needs, so they have been working on desktop flash for mobile devices closely with the manufacturers, and I can tell you that the Android flash really is unbelievable in terms of performance and battery life, virtually the same as any native application.

My final point is perhaps the most frustrating in watching the flash/HTML5 battle. Apple users hate flash because it is buggy on apple devices, this is because Apple has consistently decided that keeping its platform closed is more important than giving its users an optimal web experience, and as a result flash on the mac doesn't have any of the great features that flash on the PC has, like full hardware acceleration and much tighter browser integration, resulting in poor performance on a mac compared to a PC. However, as a developer I can tell you that HTML5 has a lot of cool things going for it, but it is a MARKUP language, flash offers a full PROGRAMING language for the web which to put it basically means there are many many things your can do in flash that simply cannot be reproduced easily in HTML5, no matter what you do (sure it's fine for video, but I am talking about rich interactive experiences beyond the simple page navigation that was presented with iAd). As a developer I am responsible for creating a lot of the experiences you guys hit on the web and I can tell you that in terms of a time investment on my part, it takes 10 times as long to create anything in HTML5 compared to flash. Since I am the person the companies are paying to represent their company online (and a good experience is not cheap) they are interested in getting as much for their money as possible, meaning that in certain applications flash is a far far better choice than HTML5 or CSS3 which is only supported in 2 browsers and hasn't even been formally standardized yet. Sure, companies would ideally like their site or RIA to be supported on mobile devices, but if it is going to cost them 5-10 times as much you can bet they are seriously considering whether or not it is worth it.

As a side note, flash is far from dead like apple wishes, over 80 of the Fortune 100 companies use flash on their site. It's tough to call it dead too when it's desktop adoption rate is over 98%. (That means more people have flash on their computer than people who have the Arial and Times New Roman fonts installed)

The root of this issue is not capability or Adobe's work ethic or anything else. It is apple wanting to control it's user experience. Flash takes that out of the hands of the app store approval process and puts it in the hand of other companies and web publishers, outside apple's walled garden and profit grabbing. I can respect that they want to protect their developers by imposing these limitations, what I can't respect is their ignoring the demands of their customers and claiming that they offer a full web experience without flash, a crucial technology on the web today.

I challenge anyone who thinks they can recreate the experiences of
    http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/
    or
    http://www.bellbetterservice.ca/
    in HTML5 and CSS3. The capabilities simply aren't there.

I use my jailbroken iPhone prodigiously, I just wish that it had flash...

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

hmm, i didnt think about that part. i stand corrected.

• luigy
    luigy Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

You know ****. Adobe can made a plugin that work on touch screen devices, in don't believe that anyone in the world have good experience in the web without flash, is sucks. The only thing that want apple is stay with their monopoly on iTunes. But the will regret soon. al the apple fan remove the Steve Jobs **** of his ass. I am not fan of any brand I just fan of technology no matter how brand made it. Capish

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

Is this new York times newspaper.
    Dude we need some news about those
    lazy hackers that they couldn t jailbreak

• Eddie
    Eddie Posts: 69
    via Wordpress

Anyone who says that Adobe doesn't have the right to interfere with Apple's decisions is a retard for saying so on an iPhoneHacks.com website. I wonder how many of those people jailbreaked or unlocked their iPhones? seriously.. it's simple, if you hate flash, then don't install it! Let it at least sit in the App Store like the thousands of other worthless apps that make it through, if that's how you feel about Flash. You've got to be joking if you think the iphone/ipad will kill flash.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I know that it doesn't ALWAYS require keyboard/mouse interaction which is why I said "Flash sometimes requires keyboard input. It almost always requires mouse input." Your other points are valid though.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I am not a huge Apple fanboy but I know if I buy a Iphone,Ipod,Ipad that it is going to work. I would not by a mac because I am in IT and the company I work for is windows. And we will let the iphone or WM device connect and get mail. And we have a policy that if some thing go wrong on the WM or on the Iphone reset the device as we will provide no support. Kind of drastic setps but we have little problems with the Iphone and most of out users want one.

• Nick Sharratt
    Nick Sharratt Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I would Look at those sites, but since I use an iPhone for 90%+ of my web use and you've indicated you've resorted to proprietry closed platform 3rd party software extentions, I doubt they would be any use to me at all.

Of course, if the CONTENT were useful or important to me, that might worry me, but I very very rarely find any web designers stupid enough these days to design web sites which prevent access to content by only making it available through such a limited and inaccessible approach - I'm sure you would agree that any company relying on such a short sighted web developer would deserve the loss of business and reputation they deserve.

Any web site which doesn't fail back gracefully to even a text only version for those using screen reader software etc really ought to be fixed - using a flash only version of a design would be just one glaring bad practice though.

Thankfully, most good web designers appreciate that not relying on flash is about much more than supporting mobile platforms, and iPhone users can benefit from that by not missing flash either.

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

@ mike, that didn't make sense.

@ apple, U Suck although I do love my iPhone 3G[S]. Just let us have flash and then there will not be this big debacle. maybe they dont want flash because they have come up with their own proprietary software for running this ****. Just like they did with safari and opera. Im going to buy that htc incredible and then return it if it sucks and go buy the new iphone.
    who cares. whatever.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress

Well said! I think that as an avid Apple user, including iPhone, iMac and now iPad, I should make my own decision as to what I use based on my personal preferences. It is somewhat disappointing and very concerning that this decision seems to be motivated around the money.

Let me have options and make my own decisions. I am rather disappointed that I have gone the iPad route now - although I love the device and find it totally amazing, I want the freedom to use my preferences.

Further, don't cut off Flash until a far better and more extensive option is fully available. That is kind of like stopping chocolate flavor ice-cream until we find a better flavor - and still, even if there is a better flavor, let the consumer decide!

My recommendation is stick to your knitting! Adobe have worked miracles with Flash! Nobody can ever take that away as we have all benefited from it and Apple have equally offered us this with amazing products but in reality, I know that neither company could do without the other...

Apple, please continue to amaze us but please do not forget the most important part of your existence - your consumers!

We want options and choices and I think I speak for many here and with all honesty, if we can't have the option of choice, jailbreaks, etc, the products become less exciting and sales would drop - I know many consumers that have chosen Apple as their device of preference purely for this reason and taking it away will certainly change that...