Does Apple's App Store Have A Spam Problem?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageDoes Apple's App Store Have A Spam Problem?

Controversies have always dogged the Apple App Store. Critics have frequently cried foul over Apple's iron-hand approach in approving iPhone apps. However, Apple has always defended its actions claiming that the approach was much needed to keep the App Store clean. A case in point is the recent mass purging...

Read the full story here

Comments

• xsvl
    xsvl Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

I have noticed these problems somewhat before, but it has never been that serious...to me at least. The search engine has always worked just fine for me, and who is getting "tricked" into buying applications? If you can't read the description and make a clear assessment whether or not the app really is just a thousand dollar picture of a gem stone (really existed), than maybe you shouldn't have an iPhone/iPod with a credit card linked to it.

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

The problem here is that Apple is reneging on its mantra of quality over quantity. In its haste to lay claim to the title of "Largest App Store" it is allowing developers with these so-called "cookie cutter apps" to sell worthless products on the App Store. None of these apps are worthy of iPhone app status, since all the "cheat" and "walkthrough" and related apps are just portals to iPhone formatted web domains. Apple could EASILY block these apps on the grounds that they perform functions identical to existing apps; something they've done in the past.

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Let me clarify that: they perform the same function as Safari does by navigating to a cheap website that isn't even good enough to appear on the first three pages of Google searches for whatever the app does. Apple could also just pull an, well, "Apple", and deny those apps without giving a reason. Would anyone actually care if the App store stopped having so many "joke" "cheat" "wallpaper" and "ringtone" apps?

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

Android has a **** app? another reason to switch to EVO

• El Barto
    El Barto Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

A touch screen filled with dirty sticky finger prints? I feel sorry for whoever borrows your phone.

• Capitan Ameerika
    Capitan Ameerika Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hahaha I second that.

It's so gross to think a person would use their phone to jerkoff

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

the iphone app store DOES have a spam problem. Apple: Kill It!

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Ah, but if you buy 'Resupported' & 'TVout' from Cydia and use the video leads you can watch on a full screen TV ;-)
    ( & if your local beer house uses Streaming to their big Fu*k off TV, then you can have some major fun too, my local publican goes nuts hahaha)

• Brett Sutcliffe
    Brett Sutcliffe Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Gee should I say really good a reason to switch...??

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i agree. don't think its a major problem yet..but i can see this getting out of hand. people are always looking for a way to exploit something for their benefit. just look at the iphone..

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i agree. don't think its a major problem yet..but i can see this getting out of hand. people are always looking for a way to exploit something for their benefit. just look at the iphone..

• Tebonin
    Tebonin Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

I am totally agree here. I really feel that should not link Ipod with credit card. I really doubt the secure or not.

• rolland c
    rolland c Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My issue with searching for apps comes when you try & search from a web browser rather than a mobile device. iPhone for example has a very limited approach because you have to download the iTunes Store (hate that). I have come to the conclusion that if I want to search apps on my laptop, I should use other marketplaces. I found the Facebook, AIM, & more on a site called RawApps.com