Apple's New iPhone To Come With Improved Display, 512MB RAM, Bigger Battery

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple's New iPhone To Come With Improved Display, 512MB RAM, Bigger Battery

Fresh reports from Taiwanese publication DigiTimes notes that Foxconn, the manufacturer of the next generation iPhone has been contracted to ship close to 24 million units of fourth generation iPhone for 2010. Of these, 4.5 million units are expected to be shipped in the month of June alone. According to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

Omg this iPhone thing is all over the place. Can't wait till June 7th to get all these crazy rumors and prototypes out the way. And see the real deal.

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i just want one. let me find one in a bar.

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i just want one. let me find one in a bar.

• Lavender
    Lavender Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I don't think it's fair to say that the fourth generation iPhone has been "dubbed iPhone HD" as this is only a rumoured possible name or a popularly applied epithet.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

That's true, changed it to say "might be". Thanks for pointing it out.

• phosphorus
    phosphorus Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

The iPhone 3g and the iPod Touch 2g have 128mb ram
    The iPhone 3gs amd the iPad have 256mb ram
    it would be reasonal if the iPhone 4g and the iPod Touch 4g have 512mb ram.

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

512MB RAM would be AWESOME. Seriously. I know the original system might run just fine on 256MB, but if you jailbreak and install all the fancy stuff then 256 definitely does not feel like enough. SBRotator sometimes takes like 15 seconds to respond to a rotate (presumably) because it has been unloaded from RAM.

• mabbent
    mabbent Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

Maybe they need more ram to run more tracking/reporting daemons, to better protect us from all the bad stuff Steve we should be forced to avoid. Or maybe iAds needs it.

• Luis
    Luis Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

so they'll have an "upgrade" for the ipad on the upcoming generations.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

They need to launch products that are better than the previous model and stay ahead of the competition. Apple isn't known for playing "catch up" to other companies. So far as we know all know, it's been apple that releases a new product/idea and sets the bar, while other companies rush to duplicate their success. We've seen it with ipad competitors rushing back to the drawing board once they saw the ipad for themselves.

With the 3gs not being much of an upgrade to the 3g, I think it's very possible that this year's iphone upgrade will be a big one.

With all of the new smartphones available today and potentially more android smartphones around the corner, apple needs to make sure their new iphone will appeal to a broader range of audience.

• Liviy
    Liviy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'll help with some of the confusion...I work for a large computer hardware manufacturer and it is common to create multiple prototypes with different hardware configurations. The whole point is to see how well they run. Eg does the 256mb version run as well as the 512mb version with the OS they are planning on releasing or does the A4 chip overheat in this setup or drain battery too quick compared with another chip. Yes 512 would sways in theory be better but the costs maybe be quite a bit higher and something with a product like a phone you can't just stick in better parts because they're better parts otherwise your product will have a massive price tag and you limit your market. So sometimes it makes sense to say go with 256mb instead of 512mb if you only gain a minor improvement for a major cost increase.
    Basically all bets are off until the final testing is done and the final design is chosen.

• JTC
    JTC Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

If I found the prototype in a bar, it would STILL be mine!!! :)

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but it just occurred to me how hilarious all this would be if all these "leaks" where misdirections by Apple and, in reality they have a totally different iPhone coming out, that would totally blow everyone's mind, and send the HTC Evo 4g running with it's tail between its legs.....Nawww. That would be too good to be possible.

Oh well, boring, blocky, underwhelming, new "revolutionary" iPhone 4G HD it will be.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Anything's possible nowadays. I'm convinced at least the form factor will be the new iphone coming out this summer though.

Steve will probably mention the leaks during his keynote then say something like "that IS our iphone, but..." and add something to spice it up a bit. It'd be another one of his one more thing moments.

• Justwondering
    Justwondering Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Isn't the Cortex 8 used in the A4 chip?

• original
    original Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

I have a feeling Steve's "one more thing" is going to be him having both Gray Powell and Brian Hogan brought out on stage and promptly executed.

• Mackay Lawyers
    Mackay Lawyers Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Sigh.. I hope of these can be happened one day...

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

And it will still be on the AT&T network. I Can't wait to get the new phone so it can drop calls just like the old phone.

If it can't make a phone call then it's just a new iPod.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

The apple a4 and cortex 8 are the same check wikipedia

• brian d
    brian d Posts: 1
    via Wordpress