AT&T CEO: Losing iPhone Exclusivity Not A Concern

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T CEO: Losing iPhone Exclusivity Not A Concern

It is now three years since Apple announced its exclusive partnership with AT&T to bring the iPhone to American customers. Apple's terrific success in this period has resulted in a 5000% increase in bandwidth consumption over the AT&T network. This has caused widespread network congestion in recent times. Consequently, a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ej
    ej Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

I really don't care what carrier I'm on as long as my internet is fast and I have an iPhone in happy

• Sm1087
    Sm1087 Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

AT&T data speeds are quite simply outstanding and incredibly reliable for me. Voice is a different story, dropped calls are far too common. Everyone I know Is on AT&T and I'm also on a corporate plan and family plan. Moving to a different carrier would be a big headache. I'm hoping AT&T along with new iPhone hardware can address the dropped call issues, I would then be completely happy and stay with AT&T.

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

I'm happy with AT&T, their network is much faster than Verizon even though Verizon has more coverage. But I live in the area where I don't have problem with coverage. If Verizon increase speed to match or excced that of AT&T and with great discount. I may switch, if not I'm stay with AT&T. I have great discount with coporate discount.

Joe

• My name
    My name Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I don't care much for AT&T but if verizon did get the phone I would wait to let the competitive effect happen. Let a bunch of AT&T customers jump over and improve the AT&T network in doing so and wait for AT&T to drop the price an have verizon respond to the drop. Then I would kiss ma bell goodbye.

• joe montayana
    joe montayana Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

whatever is cheepest. as long as the new carrier(s) bring in some competition and bring plan prices down. Everyone knows that your not paying much for the phone, your paying for the plan. I'll sacrafice some coverage for a better deal every month because that 5 or ten bucks a month adds up and comes out of my pocket

• samsung jack10835
    samsung jack10835 Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

staying with att because in the year 2010 they would be upgrading their networks for us. plus to me verizon is a rip off with there high prices .plus i get good coverage where im at on the iphone3g,3gs and the samsung jaack and att is getting better phones like 3 new android phones and 2 palm phones and the blackberry slide thats coming out.im staying right here were i belong for the past 6 years i been with att

• ernierr@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

Yes I have two lines with ATT that are off contract and I can't wait to move to Verizon.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I have always been extremely satisfied with At&t. In just over six years with the company i have experienced 1 dropped call. 3g internet is fast on my 3Gs iPhone and i almost always have service. I live north of Atlanta Georgia about 2 hours and travel into Atlanta often. At&t will continue to get better and I will continue as a loyal customer.

• Caddouch
    Caddouch Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

YEAH PEOPLE PLEASE LEAVE AT&T AND LEAVE IT FOR ME AND ONLY ME ,HAHA ,I BEEN HAPPY WITH AT&T FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS AND AM NOT CHANGING , I DID VERIZON FOR A WHILE AND I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WHAT SO EVER , PLUS AM NOT GETTING NOT CDMA CRAP ,I NEED TO HAVE A PHONE WITH SIM CARD SO I CAN USE IT OVERSEAS AND AT&T OFFERS THAT OPTION FOR ME (UNLOCKED IPHONE ) LOL , SO AM GOOD !

• ruki
    ruki Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I have the moto droid on verizon. 3g net maxes out at 300k down and 30k up. Zero dropped calls, and i get service, including in the middle of no where. Its my corporate account paid by my employer.

For my personal use, I have a 3gs. There is no 3g where i live. On the edge network i get 10-15k down and 2-5k up. Yes its horrible. i also drop 1/3 of my calls, no matter where i am. If i drive (not kidding) 2 miles in any direction. I get 3g. 3g maxes out at 1mb down and 30k up.

Bottom line is, att has much better customer service and better phones. Verizon has a better network. If att succeeds in expanding their 3g service to everyone. They will get more customers. The droid doesn't even compare to the iphone in terms of speed, quality, or apps.

my 0.02

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

just cant believe how many people att is paying to support them in this forum

• AT&T Sucks
    AT&T Sucks Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Go Verizon! AT&T is terrible in SF. So many indoor spots that lack service, so many dropped calls (how does AT&T come out with an ad campaign that says fewest drop calls), and honestly they are the same price as Verizon. So Verizon is a YES FOR ME!

• Josh Holt
    Josh Holt Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Verizon has a better network....hahahah...perhaps Verizon's inferior 3g network covers more area? I live in Indiana, and hour outside Chicago...in the corn...i just tested using speedtest app 1696Kbps down, 225kbps up...Uhhmm, yeah, that's five times as fast as Verizon...ohhh, and i constantly use the internet, regardless if I'm on the phone...sorry Verizon...and as far as customer service...at&t has been last in nearly every major, independent 3rd party testing...I worked there for a few years...Where at&t lacks the most...IMHO...is leadership...Fiance runs the company...not the CEO...3rd quarter last year 92% of new activations were iphones, CEO complains about data usage, while at the same

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

This is why At&T has the worst coverage!!!
    lets do the math...

70% of AT&T's subscribers today are on family plans.
    +40% of subscribers are on corporate discount plans
    -------
    110% WTF!!!!
    They have 110% of their subscribers in these 2 plans. If we add the individual plans then we are probably at 150%

How can you have 150% of subscribers?? 100% is the maximum you can have.

De la Vega should not be quoting numbers until he has checked them. what an idiot.

• Preston
    Preston Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Do the math 70% + 40% doesn't add up. Someone is falsifying numbers!!! Just sayin! Which also means of 110% of their customers none are on a single line plan!

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

A lot of those people getting corporate discounts through their employer have family plans. Yes, that's right they fall into both categories. You don't have enough information to check their math.

• Brian Williamson
    Brian Williamson Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I live in an area where Verizon just simply doesn't work. They can show all the commercials they want, but until I have a Verizon phone at my home working I won't even consider it regardless of the price. I also think that the dropped call are blown out of proportion. I have a call fail to go through maybe 1 out of every 30-50. I rarely ever have a call drop unless I'm on the road. I mean what do you expect when your traveling on the freeway under power lines and bridges!! It's funny how much people expect. Let these people go back 10 years and use the brick phone with 30-60 minutes a month for $70.

• Linsey
    Linsey Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Verizon would have to fix the issue of not being able to surf the web while being on a phone call in order for me to switch...possibly...i happen to like at&t plus i receive a corporate discount which i wouldn't get with verizon

• ae6057
    ae6057 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

FYI, none of us is AT&T paid customer. I beleive Verizon is paying ppl to trash AT&T and its obviously not working. **** Verizon

• rebeljedi
    rebeljedi Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

the bottom line is that each carrier sucks in their own right. customer service, speed, coverage, costs, messed up contracts. it's all the same somewhere in the US. what we should be looking at is the profitability of these companies and wonder why the investment hasn't been made to compete with services that seem to be much better in other nations. We're getting screwed here either way. Stop being so proud of companies you have no stake in. Stop drinking their kool-aid because it comes from the same place!!!!
    for the record I own an iPhone 2G and still do because it's been hacked to my liking. Apples idea of the "App" is changing the way we get programs. Now with the iPad what next? a desktop computer with less flexibilty? f*ck that! I'd rather donate straight to the developer and keep Apple just a hardware manufacturer or consultant.



• Pissed
    Pissed Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

AT&T added the data plan without my approval. I could see them "asking" but texting they signed me up is a piss off.
    Thing is there is NO internet coverage in our area, yet they still feel they can charge. Them raising, really going up, the data cancel fees show they ARE worried many of us will go elsewhere. Verizon offers unlimited on ALL access at about 1/2 cost!

• dunkindonuts
    dunkindonuts Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hopefully we'll be like other countries where we can just legally buy unlocked phones and get services wherever. Thus mobile companies offer better services to their customers because there really is competition, not "hey, you're locked to us, bwahahahaha, pay this if you wanna leave!"