AT&T Plans To Offer Free Wi-Fi To Fix Data Congestion Issues

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Plans To Offer Free Wi-Fi To Fix Data Congestion Issues

AT&T has launched a pilot Wi-Fi project as a solution to fix data congestion issues in places with high smartphone density like New York City. The carrier has deployed a new Wi-Fi "Hotzone" in bustling Times Square area to offer free wireless internet connectivity to its customers with 3G smartphones...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

I read about this I thnk it's a good thing, but it also shows how AT&T infrastructure is weak and iPhones and ipads are making it weaker, Which that's the big problem I'm having. Don't no if I should stay with a company for in other two years with problem with droped calls and technology taking it's time.

• Mark East
    Mark East Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

How is this supposed to work without requiring smartphone users to manually log in to this WiFi SSID and set it to automatically connect??

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

It's a case of choosing between a known devil vs an unknown God. It's anybody's guess how other carriers will handle the surge if they get the iPhone.

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

Must say u put that in a very interesting way, But I get it and must say, true!

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

It is specially designed and set up to work with the AT&T phones, the phone will automatically switch over, once it sees that this special network is available, it has built in instructions for handling this.

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

So, is there anything to stop someone from deploying a wi-fi network called hotzone and hijacking all the traffic? How does the phone know it's AT&T?

• Strongfist
    Strongfist Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I guess this is good. I mean with Apple controlling the throats of its users this should give a little less room for complaints against AT&T.

That or you can just switch to android...

i mean have you even seen the new updates? Lol i think if Steve jobs watched the google i/o he would have pissed his pants lol

you can find a decent article on the latest android updates at www.getyourgadgetsgoing.com

the Android - apple war is growing big time!

• Armanius
    Armanius Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

i hope its not gonna be only in NY city =/

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

Heck Id just like to have the 3G Iv been paying for for the last few years......