How To Check Your iPhone Data Usage To Select The Ideal AT&T Data Plan

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHow To Check Your iPhone Data Usage To Select The Ideal AT&T Data Plan

As you may have heard by now, AT&T has announced major changes to its data plans starting June 7. If you are an existing customer, you may retain the unlimited data plan without the option to tether. Alternately, users who consume very little data may opt for a DataPlus plan...

Read the full story here

Comments

• marcos
    marcos Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I think this new things is dumb!!

• Chase
    Chase Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I have 3 iPhones in my family plan and I am definelely keeping this plan. It will come in handy down the road with increase in data usage from apps

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Definitely sticking with unlimited. I don't care about being able to tether. At least not yet. I hear everyone talking about going to Verizon but I have had their mobile broadband service and it sucks. When I couldn't get DSL or cable I started with Sprint mobile broadband because it was unlimited. When they changed to a 5GB cap I switched to Verizon who also had a 5GB cap but was faster. Verizon was terrible about monitoring usage. It would be days behind. I went over a few times and they charged $0.25 a MB. So go over by just 100MB which is very easy and there is already another $25. Go over by 300MB, $75. You get the picture. This news pisses me off. $5 difference between unlimited and 2GB cap? Then you're paying $45 just to use tethering but have to still share the same 2GB. That is complete BS.

If you are only getting 2GB either way there should not be a $20 fee for tethering. They are basically saying "Here, pay $20 more a month to increase your chances of going over 2GB." If you are paying $25 for 2GB you should be allowed to use that however you want. Of course they are hoping to get a bunch of users to pay $25 out of fear who only use about 500MB each month. If anything the prices should be $10 for 200MB and $20 (Like Unlimited used to be) for the 2GB (It should be 5GB though). A 2GB cap is just ridiculous and the pricing makes no sense. I will definitely not pay $5 less a month to cap my usage.

One last thing. Wasn't AT&T just bragging about how fast their network is about to be and getting up to 14.4Mb/s? Once the new iPhone comes out and AT&T increases their network speed I would guess that most users will be going over 2GB. Isn't one of the new iPhone 4.0 OS features the ability to download files? My DSL at home is the basic 768 Kb/s package so I'm looking forward to being able to download files on the go at 2Mb/s +. I would go over 2GB in a week or two easily. So before you guys decide to switch your plan for tethering think about that. I'd rather use my phone to download files with no limit than pay $45 for tethering with a 2GB limit.

• Topsy
    Topsy Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

What a long note to read. I will continue tomorrow.

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

lets say I use 1gb now... but i would prefer to pay 5$ more and get unlimited instead of constantly monitoring the data plan... and of course jailbreak for tethering.. but it really sucks!! ATT sucks!!

• jay lou
    jay lou Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

ya i have tether and i just checked and i used 4,400mb that is a bout 2gb so ill stick to unlimited

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

Well I just got the slingbox mobile app last month and blew by 2gb. So I'll be sticking with the unlimited plan. ATT really sucks! There speed is great in florida but if you go to NYC forget it there network speed sucks. They just want a cap so they can fight network congestion, instead of fixing there network.

• Quikslvrxx2000@aol.com
    via Wordpress

This sux but I do see why they r doin it. Keeping us who know how to work the system from working the system. But I will keep working the system by working the system... Jailbreak style, Baby!!!!

• I SAY
    I SAY Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

dude.. I have my 3gs jailbroken... and in just 10 days of my billing days i al ready have 3GB down... wtf!! what a dumb choice people will make... keep you unlimited, jailbreak.... skip you home dsl and say F You att... keep fixing your network...

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress

But what happens when I upgrade to the new iphone? Will I be forced to opt out of the unlimited? If thats the case im going to the htc evo 4g TOMORROW

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

You will be able to stick to the unlimited data plan when you upgrade to the new iPhone.

• Caddouch
    Caddouch Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

my plan is to keep that unlimited baby!am over 5Gb sometimes ,i cant afford some extra **** !

• Jayb
    Jayb Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

yeah im 10 days in my billing Cycle and i have used 1.5GB of data. **** U AT&T well this has hit every media and i guess now there saying is a test for now.

• Chase
    Chase Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

Who honesly cares about tethering. Not me. I have road runner high speed with wifi. Edge network tethering--I rather not!

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I will definitely keep mine unlimited rather than the dumbass tethering 2 gb cap plan! Just jailbreak and you should be fine. BTW if you buy an iphone at anywhere other than the apple store, I believe they won't sell you one unless you renew your plan, i.e. wal-mart. I feel bad for those who aren't in the know.

• welbo
    welbo Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I wonder if they will start monitoring usage from JB phones. I see that warning every time I start my tether app. Now that tethering is a paid option, we JB users may become targets and have our service suspended or stopped.

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

yeap, once they see ridiculous amounts of data usage, they will flag your account, qand try to charge you overage (i know it sounds stupid, but they will try). Thank god i switched to T-mobile and the HD2, I'm tethering all day at work, plus using tons of data on the phone. Last month I've used 25GB of data :)No way I would take that bullshit from ATT, plus I singned no contract and have unlimited text and web :)

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I just called my AT&T store. They said since I already have an iPhone with unlimited data it is my choice when I renew if I want to keep that option or not. The only thing to make sure of no matter where you go is that they keep you on the unlimited data plan.

• Hardknoxni69a
    Hardknoxni69a Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Absolutely ridiculous it has been one day of my billin cycle and I have already used nearly 700mb of space use up my 2 gigs in less than a week everyone needs to join together and get it to stay the same luckily i am unlimited at the moment but i don't want them to try to screw me in a couple weeks at the new iphone premier ppl are like save 5$ my @$$ wait till they actually start using there phone for what its multimedia communication device now video calls welcome to the poor house all the new people

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress
  • johnny ixe
    johnny ixe Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

You can also use the DataMan iPhone app to monitor your data use in real time. This useful app monitors your cellular and Wi-Fi data usage in the background, keeping a log of your activities. What's more, it geotags your data activities. To help manage your data consumption, you'll receive real-time alerts when you exceed your usage thresholds. There are 4 levels of alert thresholds that you can customize to your needs to prevent additional charges to your bill. You can find DataMan in the App Store.

• Baby Monitor
    Baby Monitor Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    whoah this weblog is great i really like reading your posts. Stay up the good paintings! You realize, a lot of people are looking round for this info, you could help them greatly.