iPhone OS 4 Now Called iOS 4; Release Date Is June 21

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone OS 4 Now Called iOS 4; Release Date Is June 21

Steve Jobs announced at today’s WWDC Keynote address that they will be renaming iPhone OS as iOS so iPhone OS 4.0 is now iOS 4. It makes sense as iPhone OS for iPod Touch and for the recently launched iPad didn’t seem right. We’re also hearing rumors that the new...

Read the full story here

Comments

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I really like some of the new features, another step away from Jailbreaking.
    Now we wait for Comex & Dev team to comment ;-)

• Ricky
    Ricky Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

will the new iphone 4 run on tmobile 3g internet???

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

No, not officially.

• JC
    JC Posts: 55
    via Wordpress

I think that one of the main reasons to Jailbreak is Tethering. I'm planning on keeping my $30 data plan and run MyWi as soon as it becomes available for iOS 4.0. Also, I like to see how 3G Unrestrictor would perform with video conferencing over the Cellular Network.

• jeet
    jeet Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

hi i have a iphone 3g 16gb and i am planning to upgrade to iphone 4 can i still get the unlimited data plan even if i upgrade it to iphone 4?

• Jamie
    Jamie Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

I wish they would have let us change the text message sound

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

3g unresticter is obsolete now. it has been replaced buy a better app though it cost a little bit more: My3g

• Mr. Tex
    Mr. Tex Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Yes you can. As they AT&T says it, if you already have the existing unlimited data....they will grandfather it onto your 4g. Only new customers will have those horrible options. I feel sry for them.

• jeet
    jeet Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

hahaha.....suks for my brother....lol

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

cant wait to see what other minor tweaks they included, would like to see the ability to make a folder in photos app for specific occasions, and ability to use mp3s for text message sounds

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress

Isn't the release date on the 24?

• naveed
    naveed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

1. Multitasking is availables with apps which have been developed for iOS4

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress

I misread the heading, my mistake. My excitement is getting the best of me.

• Wishkid
    Wishkid Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I dont know if this IPSW work but apparently is the iOS GM released http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8G11QUGG
    I compared to other ones I found and it seems the same. Will update after install

• Wishkid
    Wishkid Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Update..

Does not work apparently when it connects to apples server it's stop the software from performing the update or restore now im goinf back to 3.1.3.

• Randumbwhiteguy
    Randumbwhiteguy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I can't believe there are still people out there that even use a stock iphone the only thing on mine that resembles the iphone is the body; the rest is KDE or Nexus themes with 30,000hz text tones. Its called Cydia people wake up !!

Get at me for screen shots or tones
    probmx023@gmail.com
    and let me check out yours !

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

Hmm think it's not enough to not jailbreak Tim?
    Looks good tho, and bite SMS etc would be icing on the cake :)

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

just had some 'PlayTime' with the Dell Streak.......It's well nice but could do with the 2.2 droid fw

iOS4 looks really featured, think Apple are secretly listening to the 'forum voices' at last.
    Now, if they added Shrink, My3G & Infinidock to '4' id be happy

Haven't been home since we last talked Craig, not forgot those disk's though, away in a sandy province for a while longer mate

• Key
    Key Posts: 202
    via Wordpress

it's only really available for Mac users b/c there isn't a windows itunes 9.2 out just yet.

itunes 9.2:
    http://thepiratebay.org/****/5613353/iTunes_9.2_BETA

working ipsw of ios4:
    http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=672d94e

you don't need itunes 9.2 to actually install ios4, but to activate the phone and all you need to have it.

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

What's up with copying Cisco's IOS name for operating system. Wish Apple could get sued for using iOS. Since they sue everybody else.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Cisco has apparently licensed the iOS name to Apple so it won't be sued.

• Jamie
    Jamie Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

I'm not good with computers i wish I was I don't no how to jailbreak my iPhone are nothing I'm only 13 my parents won't even bye my a computer of my own

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

Hey Tim, it's cool I figured you must be on hols or similar.
    I agree mate, infiniboard and dock are awesome thanks for rec them to me a while back.
    And this active wallpaper business, whas that about?!

Do you or anyone know of SMS alert sounds etc on ios4? Trivial maybe but the standard issue are crap!

And SMS pop ups, hope they're gone,,I guess I'm kidding myself, will be paying Mr Freeman a visit again in near future eh mate?:)

• murray
    murray Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Seriously, jailbreaking is completely pointless. What is it useful for? All that happens is your warranty becomes void, and your phone now looks like a different phone. Frankly it's annoying, as you can't read the text under the apps with the personal background, and it just looks stupid when you change the apps to other pictures.I think I may be the onlyperson in the world to jailbreak their iPhone, then undo it because it was the most pointless move in the world. Really, why did you buy an iPhone, then hollow out the insides and stuff in some crap from a Nexus. JUST BUY A NEXUS!

• Mataccadacca
    Mataccadacca Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Now, n00b. Here's a little history lesson. iPhone come out. No app store! Dev team make their own app store(technically they didn't, but they made it possible). Apple go "that good idea!" and make app store.

Let's zoom forward in time. iOS 4 multitasking; Already done! Pic behind wallpaper; done! iPhone tethering; done! Unified inbox; done! In fact, there aren't many things apple haven't copied.

• kelly
    kelly Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

Hec No, they have AT&T exclusivity until 2012 agreements.

• Nico
    Nico Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Cisco licensed them to use that name, Apple went to them before they officially called is iOS

• Timo1994
    Timo1994 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It would be cool if the camera could be upgraded from 3gs to 5.0 mega pixls. After all, there are apps which enable 3g users to take videos...

• Mark F
    Mark F Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've finally been able to install iOS4 GM on my 3GS now that iTunes 9.2 is out for windows.

I'm wondering if there's a way to fake iPhoto faces & events information, so it'll show the apropriate options.

I'm assuming iPhoto just uses custom tags to tag photos with faces and events, which the iPhone detetcts and displays.

Anybody have any idea how to do this in Picasa or Windows Live Photo Gallery Wave 4? I've tagged faces using WLPG4 but am not getting the 'faces' option on my iPhone.

Places does show up and works perfectly, even with photos that are geotagged via other programs.

Anybody have iPhoto and can analyze an iPhoto tagged face pic for any clues?

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

Jailbreak still required. Tethering with the AT&Ts grandfathering will still require Mywi or you will fall under the new 2g of data plan