Will AT&T's Network Be Able To Handle iPhone 4?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageWill AT&T's Network Be Able To Handle iPhone 4?

The past few days have been quite eventful for Apple and its carrier partners. The company announced earlier this week that over 600,000 iPhone 4 units were pre-ordered on the opening day. The unprecedented rush among customers to pre-order iPhone 4 caused the servers of both Apple and AT&T to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

i know that they have upgraded there network and they are turning them on in june probably this weekend.

• duston f
    duston f Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

lol, June 24th, probably 500,000+ Iphone's are going to power up within a hour or two, crash the AT&T servers, and no ones going to be able to activate there phone;)

• Tyler 927
    Tyler 927 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

I hope by the time the white one comes out all the problems will be solved!

• Jorgie
    Jorgie Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

I think the network will be fine in the long run. I never had any unreasonable problems with AT&T. One dropped call here and there, but I am always able to get txt msgs, always able to surf net, and always able to use my phone to its full potential.

It will be fine.

• pinalty
    pinalty Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

you wish my verizon friend

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

600,000+ iPhone pre-order's is scarring me. I hope that I'll get the iPhone 4 on launch day, I pre ordered it on the first day at 3:00 PM EST according to my ATT bill.

• CBR900RR
    CBR900RR Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

If they cannot handle the pre-order on the 15th, I don't think they can handle the activation on the 24th.
    But on the other hand, 3g and cell service here in Hawaii/Oahu are excellent, compare to mailland.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I doubt ATT is going to be able to handle all the data flow with the new iPhone 4 and iOS 4. And the new data plans are going to screw a lot of people. ATT is saying that a certain % of customers (sorry can't recall how many) do not use past 500MB, but how about with the multy tasking feature in iOS4? Apps running in the background are certainly going to use a decent amount of data over time, that plus regular data use means a lot of overage charges. So most people are going to get overage charges and won't be enjoying the full potential of their iPhones, is not like ATT is going to credit every customer that has reliability issues.

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

ive never had probs with AT&T and I use my phone on wifi most of the time. Either way people will leave when the Verizon/Sprint phone comes out in the fall or the Tmobile gets the phone so less congestion. I suggest people keep their unlimited data plan at least a month or so after getting their new iphone so they know how much data they will use with the new OS so they know if they can handle going down to 2gig data or not

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

Well I'm sure AT&T isn't concerned about their ability to handle all the new OS4 phones coming on line June 24.
    So expect the usual cluster **** from AT&T like its their first day in business. And the subsequent reassurances that they are upgrading their networks to handle the traffic. Its Apple's fault for selling too many iPhones.

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

At&t wont have to worry about overflow internet data
    by next year,when different carriers will be available.
    People finished with thier 2 year contract will leave and go to
    Tmobile,Sprint,Verizon or any other Carriers Available for iphone.
    New Customers who sign contract this year will be stuck with At&t
    and limited Internet with $325.00 Cancelation Fee who will leave.

• SSS
    SSS Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I just got hung up with my wife two times while I was a the beach. When it hung up the first time she started to talk ****. Second time she didn't call back. I'm in big **** now. There's no way AT&T is going to run smooth that day.

• notreally
    notreally Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

yeah and the majority of iphone 4 owners will be previous iphone owners upgrading from the 3g and 3gs. So there really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

and some, maybe a lot, of these 3g & 3Gs will be passed on to family members and still remain on the ATT network.

• EVO
    EVO Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HTC EVO. A great phone with an affordable rate plans might add unlimited data my iPhone 3g plan ends exactly on July 1 but I will not be upgraded to the iPhone 4 I'm on my way to sprint to grab that white Evo...Apple could not impressive me that much with the iPhone 4 especially with video calling only on wi-fi wtf apple..... Hey its a plus for me because when everyone gets their iPhone 4 i will be the first to call ATT to get my credit for my phone not being able to make calls because ATT network is going to crumble

• President Kush
    President Kush Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

its apple's fault, but not because they are selling too many iphones..(that's just GOOD business) but because they are selling all those phones on one network. If iphone first came out exclusively on any other network, they'd probably be having same problems as att. but once they are spread out on multiple networks the problems should go away, or at least greatly improve on ALL networks, including att

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

When you jailbreak your iPhone it allows facetime on 3G .. i've done it already..