iPhone 4 Comes With New Antenna System - Will It Result In Fewer Dropped Calls?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Comes With New Antenna System - Will It Result In Fewer Dropped Calls?

Apple is a company well known for its aesthetically designed products. You may have however noticed tiny black seams across the rim of the new iPhone 4 that may seem to deviate from the company's regular fixation for aesthetics. This had even caused a lot of people to question the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jay Shawn
    Jay Shawn Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

What's with the blurry pics?

• Monkeywrench
    Monkeywrench Posts: 59
    via Wordpress

It looks good for design but if this type of antenna system is worse for function then we are worse off, you know like conectivity issues when demoing the product and stuff could be indicators as what's to come

• Monkeywrench
    Monkeywrench Posts: 59
    via Wordpress

They weren't taken with the iPhone 4's HD camera!

• Aton Allen
    Aton Allen Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The reason nobody has done it before is that it is in general a bad idea.
    Having constant body contact with an antenna worsens the effectiveness.
    By touching the antenna your body's impedance is draining the signal.

Apple has probably thought of this though.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

We will all be fried by RF signals then when we are all bald we can sew Apple lol.

• MEME
    MEME Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

That's not the only antenna in the phone. There's another one inside, these are just connected to give that extra boost in signal in times when u may need it. And I'm not sure about the flawed air interface design, I have never had drooped calls or have seen my bars drop below 5.

• Mega
    Mega Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Aton,

Havnt you ever used your own body as an Antenna? It does not make it worse, it makes it better.. I have proven this to friends who did not believe me.

Think about the time we used to use rabbit ears on a TV, when you touched them, they always produced a better signal. Or a car alarm when you walk too far away from the car for the signal to reach, you can put your remote to your body and it will then enhance the signal enough to reach the alarm.

• mr Notiq
    mr Notiq Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

@Josh yah we can sew them up! lol!

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

Here in New York I never had dropped calls!!!

• Tick
    Tick Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

The connectivity issue was while demonstrating the video chat. Which only works on wifi right now. The reason behind the issue was because there were so many smart devices in close proximity eating up all of the band width.

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

Vishnu then u either use 100 minutes a month or don't have att. Ive been playing around with andriod nexus one just for kicks and its as worse as the iphone for calls. Conclusion; ATT sucks regardless of the phone

• Michael Parr
    Michael Parr Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

@Jordan I don't have problems either and I am in LA, well suburbs of LA but yea. AT&T has always been fine for me, except in carports, and basements. Other than that I can't complain.

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

Haven't u ever cupped your hands around you're iPhone, an seen the bars drop instantly....I've often wondered about that. Funny how I drop Alot less calls when I'm on Bluetooth as opposed to holding the phone to my ear. I hope this corrects that.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I agree but if Aton doesn't believe you, he should get himself one of those Apple cases (Bumpers) lol

• 
    via Wordpress

lol, that AND they were screenshots of the WWDC.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Story of my life :\ I wonder how much radiation these touchscreen phones emit.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

then why does my radio get clearer when i touch the antenna?

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

LOL. He won't get it.

• yave
    yave Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Yea that's true I was at that same plAce for the web 2.0 expo that took place in may. Our professor even told is that the wifi is not stable since so many people with rtheir laptops..

• I hate sarcasm
    I hate sarcasm Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Haha don't be stupid. If you cup your hands around the phone then you aren't "draining" the signal. In fact your blocking it!

Our bodies are huge conductors that can act as an attena enhancer.

I'm going to use an analogy that you might understand...
    Say you are trying to vaccume a pile of dust while cupping your hands over the exit. The vacume will have little to no pressure. A signal is simular in that you can't be blocking the nessisary wave paths and expect it to work at it's maximum capacity.
    Also where the current iPhones don't have an exposed attena how are you supposed to touch it? But if you could touch it it would definately enhance the signal.

• Jcm800
    Jcm800 Posts: 175
    via Wordpress

Well here in the Uk in my area I've never had a dropped call, maybe when the other person lost signal, anyway, this surely will be an improvement for areas that are weak?:)

• Frak
    Frak Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Stainless steel (the bezel they use for the antenna is highly lossly and not the best choice. Doubtful it will make any difference.

• muphinDOTnet
    muphinDOTnet Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

thats an oxymoron, your body is blocking the signal but your body enhances the signal, which one is it?

i dont thing anyone has hands big enough to cover the iphone without touching it.

in fact since the human body is over 90% water and combined with iron particles it is a very good antenna. Only issue i have is with this extra boost what radiation issues are there? since "its never been done before" its never been thoroughly tested.

• armhunter
    armhunter Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

This statment is actually true.. You cant touch the anntenna on the older phones, so there is no way to test to see if you can enhance the signal or not. Which also makes sense on why cupping it would make the signal worse!