Apple Offering SIM-Free And Unlocked iPhones In UK, France And Canada

2»

Comments

• Squire Davidson
    Squire Davidson Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

O2 happily unlock your iPhone for free anyway, as long as you fulfill and contract, or £15 on payg, nothing new here in UK, had an ulocked 3G for quite some time

• freddieboy217
    freddieboy217 Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Pre-Ordered my iPhone 4g here in the uk direct from the Apple store unlocked 16g £499
    I got the 3GS 7 months ago on Orange so not entitled to an upgrade as I paid £20 to Orange to get an Apple unlock for the 3GS as Brian says in another comment can always sell th 3GS on

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

paying $750 (UK) for a $200 (US)phone in the UK is pretty funny.. and to believe that people think apple is doing them favor is even better! Great job apple.

• freddieboy217
    freddieboy217 Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Josh I don't look at it as dollars we use £'s here
    I got my 3GS for £89 in Nov not I am not entitled to a subsidized phone again till next year I don't want to wait so I am prepared to pay full price for it the 200 dollars you quote is a subsidised phone that locks you in to high price plans mine will be unlocked and can choose who 's sim and plan goes in my phone

• TimW™©
    TimW™© Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Nah, bitter & twisted I'd say.
    Need some help here Nig J:
    I wonder what network I can join this time?? Hmmm let's see, there's ALL 5 main carriers to choose from!!
    Or should I just buy a sim free?
    Then again, can always ask O2 to UNLOCK my 3Gs and stick with it
    or
    Maybe I should move to the USofA and get tied to an apparently substandard network and send begging tweets to Geohot to release an unlock?
    Nope, UK is fine for iPhone Freedom

• Pie
    Pie Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Apple Ireland will also be selling sim free 3GS and 4 phones, starting July 2nd with the 8gb 3GS for €499.

• draz
    draz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If you buy the phone directly from Apple Canada it will be unlocked.

If you purchase it from one of the 3 'big name' carriers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and their 'discount' brands (Fido, Virgin Mobile, not sure about Koodo just yet) then it will be locked to that network. But you get the huge discounts of $99 (16gb 3GS) and $149 (32gb 3GS) AND stuck on a 3yr contract AND it will still be locked after the 3yrs.

Apple Canada sells the 8gb 3GS Black for $549 CAD. That is right an 8gb 3GS model whereas all the carriers are selling 16gb/32gb 3GS. No word on the iPhone 4 pricing or if Apple Canada will have it for sale unlocked.

But yea considering that nearly all of the carriers that have UMTS networks in Canada already carry the iPhone it was bound to happen. The UK has a number of carriers that also sells the iPhone too don't they? So that could be why Apple is selling it unlocked in these countries and not in others where only 1 carrier has the iPhone (such as in USA)

• K-Train
    K-Train Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

AT&T destroys anything the UK has. Prolly cuz all the tech comes from the US...

• hunnyluv78
    hunnyluv78 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

the USA is supposed to be the greatest country in the world, but I can't choose which cell carrier to use if I pay full price for a phone.

• Triver
    Triver Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

Well you only get two choices. Att or T-mobile.

As far as the USA being the greatest country in the world. I would love to hear/read why you think that?

• Saikhanbayar
    Saikhanbayar Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Is cutting mini sim to micro sim work fine? it says micro sim is limited to few carriers at the moment. Does cutting sim to micro work?

• IP Lawyers Melbourne
    via Wordpress

Sigh..why not in Aus...sigh..

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

Yeah it works. theres loads of tuts on the net for it.

• Vinko
    Vinko Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Unlocked iPhones had been the norm in Hong Kong ever since the official launch of the iPhone 3G in 2008.

Mobile phones in Hong Kong had not been sold SIM-lock for over 10 years.

• Vinko
    Vinko Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

The fact that T-Mobile will be selling the iPhone 4 in UK does not mean that all T-Mobile sister companies around the world will get it.

The mobile carriers negotiate separate contracts locally.

Case in point, not all Vodafone or joint ventures get to sell iPhones around the world.

• Saikhanbayar
    Saikhanbayar Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

I mean, if i cut my GSM sim card here in Mongolia, will it be supported by iphone 4?

• L0nd0n74
    L0nd0n74 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Currently I'm still going old school on the original 8gb 2g jail broken but have the 4 unlocked on order from Apple. I've saved well over the amount of a a new phone as I've been contract free here in the UK on T-mobile for over 3 years.

By not upgrading through t-mobile and resigning a contract with them I currently pay only £25 a month for unlimited calls, text, data and for an additional £5 I get 2 hours worth of free international calls per month.

Suck on that AT&T. (I can rightly say that because I'm originally from the States and once a received end of AT&T's cost and contract, without any lube...)

• L0nd0n74
    L0nd0n74 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Addition to above...

Just had a look on AT&T's site and for me to get the same amount of usage that I have here in the UK I'd be paying $115 per month. That and the estimated cost for the phone would cost me $150.

Simplifying the figures and using todays current currency conversion from £'s to $'s (and not including tax in the US) I'm already saving $70 per month by being contract free here on T-mobile. So even if I pay $600 more for the phone then AT&T contract users will have to pay ($750 unlocked cost for 16gb phone minus the estimated $150 contract phone price in the US). I've paid for the phone in 8.5 months and over a standard 2 year contract saved $1,085.

• Jerry
    Jerry Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I was just wondering, on the apple store it states that you can purchase an iphone 4 32g for 799 US, I'm Australian so it'll cost me about 815 AU I'm assuming its sold unlocked is it? And also, would it work in Australia referring to Sim and Voltage variance between countries?

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

No, its still locked to AT&T just that you don't have to sign a two-year contract.

While the unlocked iPhones sold in UK and other countries is SIM-Free, which means you can use it with any carrier.

• M
    M Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

Well that would make sense considering Apple is a US company so the solution would be to start investing in your own tech industry

• tal
    tal Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    hi !my cousin bought me from canada iphone 4 .i understood that this is a free sim version.so if i live in israel and i want to put the micro sim of my carrier the iphone will read the sim ?am i right?