iPhone 4 Camera Beats HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy, Droid X In Showdown

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Camera Beats HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy, Droid X In Showdown

When Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone 4 earlier this month, critics had pointed out that the 5-megapixel camera on the new iPhone did not match up to the 8-megapixel sensors offered on rival devices like HTC EVO 4G. The Apple CEO had however underlined the fact that megapixel count was...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Cooper
    Cooper Posts: 144
    via Wordpress

Thanks. I've been explaining to people until I was blue in the face that it's not all about the number of megapixels.

• theBankRobber
    theBankRobber Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

Well I'm very pissed that my evo's fps has been locked on both gpu and camera. Once HTC and Sprint reset the gpu fps to 60 and not 30 I will be happy. The camera seems great for a phone. The iPhone does record better vids but I also heard the Evo takes better pics the the iPhone4 . Anyway, that's good for the iPhone4 but cameras don't make the phone a phone. Besides the camera the evo has everything else on pair with the iPhone. With that said I already know I'm going to have a lot of iPhone tea baggers gonna try and bash me but both phones have there pros and cons and ONLY FANBOYS ARE BLIND TO REALLY SEE THAT AS THE TRUTH.

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

30fps is not necessarily better than 24fps. Video has historically been 30 or 60, while FILM is 24. Blu-ray is 24, as an example. So filming in HD at 24fps will yield more "film-like" video.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

i heard some rumors that apple might release

***iOS 4.0.1*** as early as Monday to fix iphone4 reception issue is that true.

• Hmmm i see
    Hmmm i see Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

not sure which i prefer. the first vid has brighter colours but the 2nd vid i think has a clearer more defined picture just seems a little faded.

both cameras are good for mobiles. i personally would go for the 2nd camera cos its easier to enhance colour through editing on a pc but you cant really enhance clarity through editing.

would rather see a low light vid and see how these phones perform. most camera phones perform poorly in low light. also like to see how the digital zoom performs

• iphone owner
    iphone owner Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I don't take this article seriously coming from an Apple fansite. Just like anyone here wouldn't take an article from an HTC fansite seriously if it declared the Evo as the best cameraphone. Also why didn't they compare it to the Nexus. And more importanly why does the chart in your post say 8 mp for the Samsung when macworlds chart says it's 5 mp?

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

maybe an apple websites but the test werent run by this website and this shouldnt be shocking. if you look back on when the 3GS came out it compared the camera and videos to the other new phones on the market and it was beating most of all of them as well. also y compare it to nexus when they compared the 3gs to the nexus a year ago.

• Negrodamus
    Negrodamus Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

are u a tard? its clearly infront of the iphone 4 pics n video shits on evo

go back in ur cave

• Jayb
    Jayb Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

True but is funny that MACWORLD was the one doing the quality test.

But still 5mp is still low for a top of the line phone.

• PM5K
    PM5K Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

You don't have to trust or not trust anyone, look at the pictures yourself and decide.

As for 30FPS VS 24. I've always heard 30 is better for sports and other high motion situations, but can a 30FPS camera shoot at 24FPS, or lowered via software? I'd rather have 30 and be able to shoot or edit to a lower FSP, rather than having a lower FPS I can't raise.

• Doni
    Doni Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Only a MORON will believe 5mp iPhone is better than 8mp EVO 4G.

ONLY A MORON like the Steve Jobs LYING puk

• Doni
    via Wordpress

ONLY A MORON WILL BELIEVE MCWORLD LIES that 5mp iPhone is better than 8mp EVO 4G.

ONLY A MORON WILL BELIEVE MCWORLD LIES.

• Doni
    via Wordpress

iPhone 4 is dropping calls, losing signal because of shi#@#TY plate. THis time they can't blame 3rd party for their iCRAP product.

ONLY A MORON WILL BELIEVE MCWORLD LIES that 5mp iPhone is better than 8mp EVO 4G.

ONLY A MORON WILL BELIEVE MCWORLD LIES.

• The
    The Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

The test was done by Macworld which is an apple fansite. And Nexus came out this year not last and if you seen tests it beat the 3gs. Why didn't they have tests for low light situation or in the dark with flash?

• RazorTech
    RazorTech Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Wonder how accurate this information is, seeing as Samsung galaxy S is actually a 5mp phone and is listed as 8mp here. i think this is complete rubish...get your facts straight

• Don
    Don Posts: 111
    via Wordpress

i really don't blame apple for the signal loss in the iphone 4, how can they test it if the engeneer lost it in the bar??? stupid answer, Steve Jobs!!!!

• Victor
    Victor Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

it's clear that the Droid have a better image and video quality than the iphone

• somename
    somename Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

I guess you missed the entire point of the article.

• somename
    somename Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Grasping at straws I see ...

• The
    The Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

So if they did this with 5mp why not just do it for a 8mp camera. You know they are capable of doing it theyre just saving it for future models.

• Asdf
    Asdf Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

No he is just stating a fact. Just like this suppose test says 5mp iPhone is better than 8mp. If choose to blindly believe a test done by an apple fansite then that's to bad for you especially when the chart claims the galaxy is 8 mp when it's actually just 5mp.

• Donato
    Donato Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The person who wrote this article realizes the EVO uses the same backlit sensor technology. They just didn't think it was worth mentioning in their spec sheets. Backlit sensors are not as big of a deal to other manufacturers to mention.

• adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress

This is why Steve Jobs sucks, He knows everyone likes to mod their phone, for better performance, or to do more stuff. That's why the droids are such an amazing phone, because you can add your own software, and Ive been getting 60fps on my Evo4g. Apple decided to try to make it impossible to mod your iphone, and terminate your service if you don't bend over and take it......

http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/26/apples-new-iphone-4-anti-jailbreaking-unlocking-security-feature/

• Nicolas
    Nicolas Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Well yeah its a hardware issue, how could a software update fix the fact that your body can bridge the connection between the antennas?

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

That Apple fanboy site PCWorld...oh wait... agrees iPhone 4 has a better camera.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/25/AR2010062504039_2.html

• Zompac
    Zompac Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Steve jobs said that if you were to force an 8mp sensor in that tiny lense, than the camera will not capture as many photons creating the overall quality. Instead it will look like a low quality grainy picture, instead of a colorful vivid clear picture.

Believe me, too many megapixels make the photos look like crap if using too small of a lens. The iPod touch camera with .7 megapixels takes 10 times better pictures than my 2 megapixel camera on my motorola. But I'm not saying the camera quality is better on the iPhone 4 than the eve 4 as I have no photos to compare. Just telling you my experience with mobile handheld cameras.

• Santa Cruz
    Santa Cruz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

HTC is follow iPhone... (That is reallity). I don't want follow the Follower. I want follow the Leader coz I have bad xperience with HTC that wasting my money.

• willie bang
    willie bang Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

It beats the crap out my Nokia E72 as well. Dammit

• Good Boy
    Good Boy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Salam / hye.. wht you guys said here are really far different from wht ive read in Gsmarena (the user opinion.) most of them condemn iPhone. But thank God ive been here. Wht you guys said increase my confidence towards iphone.