iPhone 4 Vs iPhone 3GS: Improved GPS Accuracy And Speed

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Vs iPhone 3GS: Improved GPS Accuracy And Speed

When Apple launched iPad 3G+Wi-Fi model, users had observed that the iPad 3G model (which includes GPS) took marginally more time to pull the final GPS lock as compared to iPhone 3GS running iOS 4 beta. However, the lock on iPad was stronger and its GPS was observed to be...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

I haved found the iPhone 4 to lock onto my position far quicker than my 3GS. Tomtom works flawlessly as well, where previously it would lose signal occassionaly.

• klutch
    klutch Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

It's amazing that new technology works better. When is this news?

• M
    M Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

Works great ... except it tells me that I am moving when I am sitting still...

• Ran$om
    Ran$om Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

its pretty amazing
    i was speeding down a street and it stayed with me

• Erik
    Erik Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I've noticed this too. In motions gps app it shows you accuracy of gps. On 3GS I never saw better than 56ft radius. With iPhone 4 I see 16 feet radius accuracy!

• Erik
    Erik Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I meant in MotionX gps app. Not motions. In my previous post.

• Caddouch
    Caddouch Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I noticed that too. I don't need my Magellan car dock to lock my signal and I can get great signal unside my house , that's amazing !

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

Be really great if we could just get Hot Spot and some sort of notifications and Privacy appsso we don't have to keep dealing with this Jailbreaking cat and mouse bullshit

• yo mama
    yo mama Posts: 117
    via Wordpress

hate to break it to you but you're probably not getting GPS signals inside of your house. GPS is line of site, not RF.

In your house, your phone is using triangularization by testing the signal strength of the nearest cell towers to you.

• 3gs
    3gs Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Exactly. I find a lot of these posts to be utterly useless and too biased at times. I understand this is an iPhone fansite but they could at least try to remain objective for arguments sake. And what I don't understand is why they are postin this when it comes from a readers post. Not to say it's not credible but couldn't macworld have just run this test themselves with an iphone4 to confirm it.

And before you fanboys call me an apple hater I'll I have you know I own the 3gs and I'm satisfied with it.

• GPS User
    GPS User Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

That is utter BS. My Garmin Nuvi can get a lock inside a house, no cell towers required.

• I SAY
    I SAY Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

What do you guys think? should anybody that don't have the iphone4 yet should we go real early to an ATT Store on June 29 and try our luck??? what are your thoughts people?

• Cooper
    Cooper Posts: 144
    via Wordpress

What do you have now? I traded up from a 3G and the 4 is significantly better. I loved my 3G and I am thrilled that I made the change.

• rh
    rh Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

GPS uses radio signals from satellites.

• Lewis
    Lewis Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

You and klutch need to get out more lol this is a site for updates big or small, if you don't like it don't read it, there are so many sites out there that only report "the big news" maybe that is where you should point your browser. And leave us "Fanboys" to our very Biased non objective Apple loving site.

P.s I have a Nokia

• Who
    Who Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

NEW JAILBREAK OUT!

...but I wont tell you where you get it.

• naveed
    naveed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

After updating iOS4 on my 3GS, GPS works gr8888.inside my house also.. previously it was showing i'm on the next street.

• Perth Lawyers
    Perth Lawyers Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I am happy about the new one as well..works well for me

• SAP Training London
    via Wordpress

In iphone 4 100 more feature has been added then iphone 3GS..

• Salvadorean
    Salvadorean Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

Totally it's gotta b seamlessly fast, with a4 processor.
    Heck yeah, I'm still not too happy with glass in the back.

Next iPhone operating system should include emoticons option on keyboard control enabler In settings.

It forces everyone too use those annoying cases.

If they could only build an iPhone that can actually b anti- scratches, it would b much more interesting anyway, I kind of like how accurate the locator point could be but, I really hate when people know where I am.
    Some rumors say that solar and possibly query keyboard may b in sooner future , who really knows.
    I just want it thinner and full speed, real fast.

• Bob Evans
    Bob Evans Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I got to touch one at the AT&T store the other day seems faster but I want to see it loaded up with stuff as for the glass back I wasn't to fond of that idea either but if it is as strong as military helicopter glass it should be fine that stuff is tough well see.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

cant wait to upgrade my 3g to the iphone4

• LowPerformance
    LowPerformance Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
  • Lewis
    Lewis Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

Hey are you 5yrs old lol

• Val
    Val Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I have a 3G and am planning on getting an iPhone 4. I am glad to hear this news and I haven't heard it reported anywhere and would be excited about a faster and more accurate GPS.
    iPhone 4 is new technology and works better, are we surprised? No. Do we want to read about it? Heck yeah.

• Val
    Val Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

So, how would line of sight work if you were in a car and the roof obstructed the GPS?

• JF
    JF Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Come on, people. Not evey article is going to appeal to every individual reading it. The point is that there is a wealth of info being offered here and you can pick and choose what to read and what not to read. I for one appreciate the wealth of info on the various Apple smartphone products available here and the tremendous work that goes into it. Thanks to iphonehackers I have gotten the inspiration to unlock and jailbreak my 3GS.

• sandwhich
    sandwhich Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Toot it and boot it...

• iOS4
    iOS4 Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I really don't know why the is a fuss about GPS signal on the iphone 4. I have been using my iphone 3G and 3GS with Tom Tom and Navigon and i must say i've never really had any serious issues except i would admit a few no signals on my 3G. I travel back and forth a lot from DC to NY and my 3GS works flawless.

Some people need to bear in mind that there are dead zone in satellite signal so its possible to have no signal every new and then even when using satellite gizmo's from the Military. I'm sure the iphone is equipped with a better GPS chip than the 3GS but why fix it if its not broken.

And by the way, i do get accurate GPS signal in my living room and both my 3G and 3GS. Might have to do with my location but i have no issues.

• I SAY
    I SAY Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

I have 3GS, think is worth getting up early and stand outsite att store tomorrow for the iphone 4?