Apple Investigating iPhone 3G Performance Issue Observed After Upgrading To iOS 4

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Investigating iPhone 3G Performance Issue Observed After Upgrading To iOS 4

Some of our readers who own an iPhone 3G have reported that iOS 4 has slowed down their iPhone, which has forced some of them to downgrade to iPhone OS 3.1.3 or try workarounds to make it faster. Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is "looking into" complaints from...

Read the full story here

Comments

• maccag
    maccag Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

First, just wondered is there a performance issue on the iPod touch 2g aswel or is it just with the iPhone 3g

• Topsy
    Topsy Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Yes 3G sucks. After disabling everything on my iphone 3G, it's still runs slow. Can't wait to get my iPhone 4. Disabled notification, spotlight still same story.

• kp@hot.com
    kp@hot.com Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

the way we solved the problem on 3g is to jailbreak it again but disable all options this seem to make it run smoother

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

the 3g isnt THAT underpowered guys, come on!

• Albert James
    Albert James Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I own an iPhone 3G. After my first upgrade to iOS 4, performance was poor with homescreen wallpaper enabled. I had used a custom firmware anyway.
    When I upgraded using the stock 4.0 firmware, I modified a file to enable multitasking but left wallpaper disabled. Performance at this point was almost fluid. I only experienced lag whenever I scrolled up and down long pages and when adding contacts too. Battery life worsened a bit too. :(
    I hoped that 4.0.1 would fix the performance issue but how wrong I was. Now I have both multitasking and homescreen wallpaper disabled, yet the device crawls. I can't even get to play games on it anymore.
    The only thing keeping me from downgrading to 3.1.3 is my backup. :(

• ZeppelinLed
    ZeppelinLed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

Off topic, but if I upgrade my old bootrom 3gs from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 can i still jailbreak pls?

Is Spirit still live?

• Mr djay
    Mr djay Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

What sad **** trying to pimp a shitty iPod for people voting for your **** music.

And what's worse you have to click that you actually like it just to be entered lol, maybe if you had any skill or a descent taste in music you would have to offer people incentives just to listen.

• MHIu
    MHIu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

As it seem the battery drain on the 3GS faster after upgrade to ios 4, some of the games designed on the 3.x.x are slso not able to work after upgrade, it crash before the game start.

It change to edge instead of 3G whenever a slight drop on the signal bar after upgrade to 4.0.1.

However, the graphic are shaper and clearer compare to the past, dropped call number been increased after upgrade to 4.0.1.

• NAST
    NAST Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

The F KN SOFTWARE IS TO FAST FOR 3G ITS A HARDWARE PROBLEM ITS LIKE PUTTIN SNOW LEOPARD ON A PPC G4 IT WONT WORK RIGHT WITHOUT YOU OVER CLOCKING UR COMPUTER ALOT OF YOU FORGET APPLE IS FIRST A COMPUTER COMPANY MAKING CELL PHONES THEY THINK LIKE WHAT A COMPUTER COMPANY THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE BUG IN THE IPHONE4 AND SOFTWARE BUT IF U PAID ATTENTION THIS IOS4 IS REALLY MADE FOR NEW IPHONE ONLY AND IF PHONE IS JAILBROKEN WHY WOULD U UPGRADE TO IOS4 ALL MAJOR DEVELOPERS OF JAILBREAK SOFTWARE TELL YALL TO HOLD OFF AND YOU DON'T SO UF UR PHONE IS SLOW GOOD LISTEN FOR ONCE !!!!

• SV
    SV Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

1. run-on sentence
    –noun
    a written sequence of two or more main clauses that are not separated by a period or semicolon or joined by a conjunction.
    2. ALL CAPS = YELLING
    Use caps lock, that's why it's there.

I chose not to upgrade my 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.0 for this reason. Unless they come out with a firmware that significantly improves performance on the 3G I won't upgrade it again. Good thing I also bought a iPhone 4.

• next
    next Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Geesus dude, that's a bit heavy?? and what's more, you've just made yourself sound like even more of a **** for writing such hateful comments over something most of us wouldn't think twice about if we weren't interested. Go and take your meds mate, and chill the **** out!

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 87
    via Wordpress

I did the same, IOS4 and enabled multitasking and wallpaper, it was so slow and I was so disappointed, and I had to downgrade it to 3.1.3 . lost some data as my backup was a month old..... I guess Iphone 3G can only handle up to 3.1.3 and 4 was not designed for a 2 years old phone.....
    Probably, I will not get an iphone 4 ... they don't innovate, even multitasking is not a real one ...

i don't feel that Iphone 4 is a big jump ... I would rather get an android phone and experience some freedom instead of feeling controlled of what i can do and install on my device ...

• Jerry
    Jerry Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Has any of you tried to set up your newly restored 4.0 as a new phone? After a fresh install, I did not restore from a backup and the phone was almost as fast as my iPhone 4 when comparing opening simple apps like the camera, SMS and phone. I didn't even have to turn off spotlight but I bet that would help.

Before restoring and not restoring my info from a backup, all functions were impossibly slow or crashed.

Please

• P_NY
    P_NY Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

I have the same issues on my 3GS dont know if is only me but I have downgraded my phone to 3.1.3 (new Bootrom)

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

i upgraded to 4.0 and then JB with Multitasking.. and guess what it suckked..... big time... everything slow..

so what i tried is to reJB with multitasking... which worked and took the multitasking off... but guesss what the 4.0 was still very slow.. i have 3g 8gb...

yesterday i upgraded to 4.0.1 and removed 3 gb of songs.. thought it would help !! and it did help... its now fast but slower than 3.0.. i shouldnt have upgraded it..

• markd475
    markd475 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I upgraded my 3g 16gb to 4.0 JB with everything enabled and it was very poor so I reJB and left it standard and it was still slow but I disabled Spotlight completely (never used it) yesterday then soft restarted my phone and it is snappy as hell and I would say its quicker than when it was on 3.1.2 ( i'm sure it had been getting slower at each update through 3.0 onwards)

• DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

multi-tasking is the real killer, make sure you disable it, or check to make sure its disabled, you can find out here:

http://xaviesteve.com/disable-multitasking-in-ios4-no-jailbreaking-needed/

i have done upgrades and JB's on quite a lot of iPhone and i cant deduce, when i disable multi-tasking, and now spotlight it runs so smooth, quick response when pressing the home button and battery now lasts much longer than 6 hours (usualy lost about 5-10%battery an hour)

you cant use multi tasking on 3g so dont even bother enabling it when you use pwnage or redsn0w

• DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

I HAVE A BETTER IDEA: DUMP THAT CRAPPY ASS 3G AND GET A 3GS OR IPHONE 4... THATS WHAT IM ABOUT TO DO LOL EFF THAT IM TIRED OF MY 3G AND ITS LAG.

• Max
    Max Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

Another one (me) confirming issues with iOS4 on a 3G. Slow, crashing apps... And on top of that, my bloodsucking contract with T-Mobile (Germany) finally expired BUT I'm waiting since 3 weeks that mama Apple graciously unlocks my baby. Considering how expensive the contract has been, never again will I buy phone+contract. Always and only purchase an factory unlocked iPhone.

• dc1157
    dc1157 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

iOS 4.01 is here... check iTunes!!

• Ryy
    Ryy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

what are the advantages of unlocked phone?

• kellylynn
    kellylynn Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i feel the EXACT same way. couldn't say it better!
    my problems keep racking up !
    slow performance, battery drain, false battery percentage, cant load apps, hardly any service at all !
    iphone 4, please be worth it .