ARM Cortex-A9: A Look At The Next Gen iPad, iPhone Chip

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageARM Cortex-A9: A Look At The Next Gen iPad, iPhone Chip

Folks at DigiTimes had recently come up with some juicy rumors regarding the next generation iPad. In their latest report, the Taiwanese publication had claimed that Apple will be launching an upgraded version of their 9.7-inch iPad by the first quarter of 2011 that will deploy a powerful ARM Cortex-A9...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress
  • VoIP
    VoIP Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

A multi-core iPhone .. nice .. hope the cellular carriers can keep up to offer the service that will be demanded...

• my last iphone
    my last iphone Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It is all very well new tech is coming out all the time but I bet you they could have included all these in the current iPad and i4 before they released them which suggests they are milking all their customers for every penny they have the greedy bar stewards

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

I like the idea of apple making their own chips, so this makes me sad. but yea a 16 core ipad would be beastly for....i have no idea, but someone would make something truly amazing.
    maybe each app could choose how many cores to power on, you can selectively shut off cores in macs so its possible, and it would make it very efficient and powerful when you need it

• has
    has Posts: 27
    via Wordpress

i wont be getting an iphone 4 . happy with 3gs till the iphone 5 or whatever its called, comes out.

• BrizeyUK
    BrizeyUK Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Yep the iphone 4 is a dog. Im keeping with my 3gs also.

• a
    a Posts: 76
    via Wordpress

I don't know about releasing an A9 but most definitely at least 512MB for the iPad. Phones already came equipped with that much ram, it just doesn't make sense. And why don't they get multitasking yet? As for A9 they prob won't release it for at least another 2 yrs. I really don't see much of an hardware or software upgrade, for that matter, in the next generation iPhone.

• Chetan
    Chetan Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

The best thing to do now is to use what you have until it breaks or your contract runs out then start to think of what to buy next. Apple has milked their customers since the original ipod.

• Chetan
    Chetan Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I have the iPad but I really don't like it I just like holding it. The idea of having 16 cores kinda sounds as dumb as putting a eBay muffler on a BMW. No matter how many cores they add all the rest of the hardware would also need so type of upgrade and that only means their iPad will be somewhere near the price of a macbook. Not to mention why will anyone need that many cores? If you did you should be in the market for a full pledged desktop replacement or an actual desktop.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

just ordered my iphone 4 from apple.com a week or so ago 3 week wait sucks but cant wait to get it, and would love to see a super powered iPad or iPhone next year

• TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

They will never come out with a 16 core iPad this is just what the processor design can support. I can see them going dual core though. I don't see the price going up ether, if anything the price should go down a bit or android tablets will eat their lunch. Also for Z Apple will still make the processor like they did for the current iPad and iPhone. They license the designs from ARM and then make the processors themselves turning off anything not needed for the particular device.
    For those who say Apple milks their customers, please tell me a company that doesn't. Apple is in business to make money and gain market share to make more money. Microsoft has milked their customers for years also. I mean NO company puts all the features you would ever want into one product, if they did that no one would ever buy a new one.

• cody
    cody Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

They should be researching new BATTERY technology

We all know they can upgrade the specs that is no problem.

But what usually limits this is the battery life. They can offer unimaginable amount of power to the device but then they have to go back and limit and cut away at it because it drains the battery.

What we need is a new power source that can keep up with high spec demands for longg hours. At least a whole day.

• brianthreedee
    brianthreedee Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Personally I'm very happy with my new iPhone 4, I had a iPhone 3G. All this new hardware is great and goes along way to the longevity of the product. As for multi core cpu's, the only apps that could take advantage would be games, and content creation based apps. We're talking iMove, Photoshop, Games, not productivity apps.

• Fleur
    Fleur Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Usually, a dual core processor running at 500MHz consumes less power than a single core running at 1GHz. This is one of the benefit of multiple core.

Moving from A8 to A9 is another way to reduce power consumption.

• haha
    haha Posts: 33
    via Wordpress
    My Chinese android knockoff comes with an A8 and 1 gig or ram and 1 ghz processor so it sucks to me be you LOL