Tawkon: Cell Phone Radiation Measurement App Shows How Death Grip Impacts iPhone 4, Nexus One, Black

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTawkon: Cell Phone Radiation Measurement App Shows How Death Grip Impacts iPhone 4, Nexus One, BlackBerry 9700 [Updated]

Apple had demonstrated how smartphones like iPhone 4, RIM’s BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC’s Droid Eric, Samsung’s Omnia II, Motorola Driod X, Nokia N97 Mini lose signal strength when you grip them in a certain way (death grip). Folks at Tawkon have added another dimension to the debate over iPhone 4...

Read the full story here

Comments

• yay me
    yay me Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • jose
    jose Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

But the iPhone 4 is the only one that is affected by the natural positioning of your hand on the phone, it's not fair for apple to act like this is common because it's never been an issue for me on any other phone and I have had alot of phones lol

• Pinasice
    Pinasice Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Wow, soon people will have mutated hands from using iphone 4...

• god of iphones
    god of iphones Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

shut uppppp I've many other phone that were affected by normal hand position.. went away with a case.. so get over it.. it is normal...

• Steven J Jobbs
    Steven J Jobbs Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I would her to apply that grip on me

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I hesitated to buy a 4 because of all the bad press on the death grip issue. I've had a 3G and 3GS...which dropped every other call. Now....not 1 dropped call or reception issues while using this phone. Yes the bars go down but doesn't affect my call one bit. Entirely happy.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress
  • Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

Well fake jobs, you would be funny if you had any understanding of english grammar

• wut
    wut Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Apple damage control fail.

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

I hope the developer uploads this app on Cydia!!

• Krew_92
    Krew_92 Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

I own a Nexus One and I call BS. That has never happened.
    Please stay away from the Nexus One, we don't need your bull crap excuses.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

"It is very clear from the experiment that smartphones face the death grip issue and is not limited to just iPhone 4, which again highlights that the iPhone 4 antenna issue is blown out of proportion."

I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest statement I've seen you guys make. Nobody is saying that other phones don't suffer from the deathgrip. Nobody is saying that the only phone that does is the iPhone 4. We already know that the deathgrip issue is not limited to just the iPhone 4. This DOES NOT highlight that the antenna issue has been blown out of proportion. The real issue is the fact that the external antennas can be bridged when being held. Come on, I thought you guys know this.

There is a hardware design flaw and I don't think that the actual issue has gotten ENOUGH attention. The only reason anyone thinks it is being blown out of proportion is because Apple is still convincing people that there is no design flaw and that it is just the same issue other phones face. Even with a bumper the iPhone 4 still loses signal from the so called "deathgrip" just like other phones. It takes a bumper to make it work like other phones with an internal antenna. Without a bumper it suffers from the "deathgrip" IN ADDITION TO bridging the antennas.

How can you possibly make a statement like that after everything that has been posted and talked about on this site? The real issue has been known for some time now whether Apple will ever admit to it or not.

• blak
    blak Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Krew_92 is gay
    Krew_92 is gay Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

nexus one can suck a cows asshole dry

• DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

more like, we never bothered to check but it turns out, you're a girl!

• DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

but thats how the real jobs speaks

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 314
    via Wordpress
  • Stan
    Stan Posts: 192
    via Wordpress

I can't agree more... I hardly comment on this site because the level of some guys here is so low that I find it extremely difficult join in the conversations. Grow up guys and let's deal with the real issues. STOP these crap comments and insults on each other.

I totally agree that there's a design flaw with iPhone 4 and is high time Apple come out clean on that.

• T
    T Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

I do understand what you're trying to say, and I think that companies like Apple build the antenna on the upper side where people don't use their hands. Then the problem will be solved...

Why do you think that Mark Papermaster, the senior Vice President who was in charge of iPhone’s hardware has left the company...

I personally think that Apple has his secret's here and there.

• J
    J Posts: 131
    via Wordpress

she seems to be trying to crack that blackberry with her hand..! lols

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

Why are you on here I you have a nexus one :/ just saying

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

The word "jobs" should be capitalized, It would be more proper to say, "an" instead of, "any", and you forgot to put a period at the end of your sentence.

• iOS4
    iOS4 Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

Okay time out iphonehacks, your site is my number one source for iphone info so i'm disappointed at this post. Like Steven M just stated, nobody is saying the death grip is an iphone 4 exclusive. Many smart phones suffer the same problem. The issue here is, iphone 4 has a design flaws and apple is not ready to admit it.
    Secondly, with the iphone 4, its not just the low on bars but the actual drop of calls frequently, also with other smart phones or when the 3GS you have to grip is very hard to get imitate the effect which i believe most people don't hold phone that way, with iphone 4 just the normal hold drops the bars and also drop the call. I had to return my fiancee's iphone 4 because she dropped more calls on her iphone 4 than i have ever dropped on my 2G, 3G or 3GS. She is a lefty and always uses her iphone with the left hand. There is an issue and it has to be admitted by apple, rather than comparing other smart phones with death grip issues

I don't want to stop reading your blog and stop referring your site to my friends for info but please keep your personal conclusion to yourself because this makes you sound more of an apple fun than reporting news.

Thank you for all your great work.

• duston f
    duston f Posts: 24
    via Wordpress
  • pHluid
    pHluid Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Aren't we supposed to be commenting on the radiation levels? All these comments so far are about signal strength. I'm a little confused.

• Rover
    Rover Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I agree with everyone except for the antenna at the top of the phone. They're not allowed to do that. Phones are supposed to keep the antenna as far as possible from the head.

And the "blown out of proportion" comment was really bad especially coming from a site that has "researched" the antenna issue. This is not the entertain biz where rumors spread without any basis. It really is a shame how people have let Apple slide with this one even with all the signs that point to a design flaw.

I don't understand why people still believe that just because they don't experience the problem then that must means it doesn't exist. Honestly, why would they offer free cases for a nonexisting problem that only affects 0.55% of users. Do people really believe Apple care about the consumer like that. Plain and simple, it was the "best" alternative for a recall with the least possible amount of damage to their stock. No one who reported about the antenna issue said the iPhone wasn't a good phone. This antenna design is really a problem that should have been properly fixed.

I wonder what would be Apple's reason for changing the design for future iPhones and also consumers' response. As they claim there is no design flaw and attenuation is a common problem so no need for a new design

• Rover
    Rover Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I'm sure after seeing this Apple will approve the app with the video embedded to further educate the uninformed user. And she is about to break that phone. I'm guess thats how everyone hold thier phones.

• a
    a Posts: 76
    via Wordpress

It's true. I used to read comments for some useful info and on ocassion for a laugh but that no longer is possible. People just like to argue without anything meaningful or useful to say. No facts just ignorant comments. With just a slight mention of Android or any other manufacter and the fight begins. What does anyone even gain from arguing? It's not like these companies pay anyone. If people have opinions that's fine but there is no need for bashing others or using foul language.

• >
    > Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Well just like you he probably owns more than one phone, previous one being an iPhone. Just saying

• Grow up
    Grow up Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Can only imagine what you do in your free time. Let's just hope you don't live in a farm.