CDMA iPhone 4 Codenamed N92 At 'Engineering Verification Test' Stage

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageCDMA iPhone 4 Codenamed N92 At 'Engineering Verification Test' Stage

We have heard several rumors lately about the CDMA-based iPhone coming to Verizon. John Gruber of Daring Fireball who has a good track record with Apple rumors has revealed some interesting details about the CDMA-based iPhone, which is codenamed N92. According to him, Apple is working on a CDMA-based iPhone,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I thought the code name was "Hard Hat"

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

Hey your first you got to call it...for the CDMA phone would be nice but verizon would be just to expensive and doubt they will carry unlimited plan ... Every carrier has switche to a capped plan now ... So unlimited AT&T for me

• MattXD162
    MattXD162 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

I'm staying on AT&T. I actually have service where I need it, so I'm satisfied.

• crackjap
    crackjap Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

CODE NAME "LARD ASS"

• jimmi
    jimmi Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

What's the code for iPhone T-Mobile 4G?

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I'm glad someone got it :D

• Monkeywrench
    Monkeywrench Posts: 59
    via Wordpress

fail bot 9000 cus t mobile service is scetchy

• kyro
    kyro Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I dunno what the big deal is. We've had CDMA iPhones in Canada since the 3GS, and the 4 was released here on all carriers. Why don't they just use the same CDMA technology as the one used in our CDMA phones? Doesn't make sense why they would have to make a whole new batch of phones.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

i think they should hit verizon and sprint at the same time but not sure they could keep up with the demand on those 2 networks there not even keepin up with AT&T so it will be interesting to see what happens

• Marian
    Marian Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Great. Just wondering is it uncoded in the uk, because if bought abroad it can prevent me from making Cheap international calls.

• jimmi
    jimmi Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Making CDMA iPhone is pretty dumb idea! They are valueless....globally.

• duston f
    duston f Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

lol what??!?!

Canada man here, we actually have had CDMA phones for several years.. Also there is no CDMA technology in any of the Canadian Iphones.. yeah their on almost every carrier but every carrier evolved to GSM.. so what the f*ck are you talking about buddy.

• Legba
    Legba Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, a CDMA phone shouldn't have a SIM card, so there is no "unlocking" it.
    Plus, if you go abroad you will absolutely be roaming with no possible workaround.
    With a GSM iPhone you can unlock it and use a different carrier at home (or like in my case, mine was bought natively unlocked: yeah! Full Price!) or when you go abroad you can get a different SIM card and use it on your iPhone.
    Maybe in USA Verizon has better coverage, maybe. But if you want more mobility I guess the GSM version is more flexible.

• rupesh
    rupesh Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

CDMA is crap. I don't understand why there are networks that still use this. It's such outdated technology. To be honest, why would someone sit there and let there cellular company take full ownership of their phone. At least with a sim card, you have the possibility of unlocking the phone and/or putting it on a different network.

No other country that I have been to doesn't have the option to buy a prepaid plan with a sim card. I guess the CDMA/Verizon version is just for people who don't want to leave the US.

• Sokudo ONi
    Sokudo ONi Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

True CDMA is not for everybody but look at this.

With AT&T we pay roughly 49.99 + 30.00 unlimited data(OG subscribers) + misc fees a month and come up with an average bill of $86-$90ish bucks a month for one line. OH! lets not forget to add in unlimited text for an additional $20 bucks a month!

So lets just roughly say the average iphone user with the old plan roughly spends +/- $100 a month for one line.

Now lets say if Apple in fact does release this CDMA iphone. Guess what? I bet alot of people are going to get this iphone flashed (may not be easy as the Android phones) and jump ship to....Yup Metro PCS.

Yeah Metro PCS gets even lower coverage than T-mobile however at $40 a month for unlimited everything I wouldn't care for "slow downloading"

Downloads are very comparable to edge however..i'm not the type to drain my phone downloading on 3G or browsing etc. Half the time I leave my phone on edge to conserve battery life and when I do download, im always in a wifi zone anyways. The wifi uses less battery than the 3G antenna on the 3GS.

I have 3 phones that I use on a daily basis. iphone 3GS 32GB,iphone 4 16GB and a Blackberry Storm 1 flashed to Metro PCS.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the CDMA iphone would actually be a CDMA+GSM world phone like the Blackberry storm? That would totally solve the international issue if you were to go abroad... just have your SIM cutter handy ;)

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

verizon all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FredMC
    FredMC Posts: 73
    via Wordpress

why would they expand to Verizon if that network still can't support simultaneous voice+data?

My money is still on the iPhone going to TMobile first

• rupesh
    via Wordpress

That's right! I had completely forgotten about that. The fact that Verizon's network can't support simultaneous browsing and phone calls is a deal breaker. It would seriously gimp the iPhone's features.

You can't call your friend and look up something on the net at the same time? Sorry, you lose.

• rupesh
    via Wordpress

I agree with the GSM + CDMA option. I still think that it won't work as well on Verizon, mostly because of the lack of ability to call and browse at the same time. I think that is a huge feature that will gimp the iPhone on their network.

AT&T is super expensive and they're probably over charging us, but at least we have most of the iphone's features. No talking and browsing at the same time defeats the multitasking feature. It makes it pointless.

• moz
    moz Posts: 63
    via Wordpress

There's no such thing as CDMA iPhones in Canada. You're definitely confused. Yes Bell (and Solo) & Telus (and Koodo)are mostly CDMA mobile phone service providers... But they have integrated HSPA to their network allowing them to support iPhone.

http://www.tipb.com/2009/06/25/telus-bell-hspa-hungry-iphone-3gs-canada/

• ?
    ? Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

Multitasking on the iPhone? Really? Since when?

• rupesh
    via Wordpress

Stop being a sarcastic jack ass.

• Dante
    Dante Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Uh...no he doesn't. Voice + Data can mean skype over 3G or and VoIP client.

Though it probably isn't the case as often in real life, the iPhone commercials where the dialogue is along the lines of:
    "Hey, let's meet up at a restaurant, where you want to go?"
    (Spokeperson): Put the call on hold and navigate to Yelp for places to go all while holding your call. That's what makes the iPhone magical, only at AT&T.

I personally hate AT&T but they do have a point. I would love to see the iPhone go to Verizon (because they are rolling out LTE in 2011-2014 which should help with the voice+data) because of the better service and support.

• Cheap Calls to India
    via Wordpress

Are the tests now done?

• Cheap Calls to Russia
    via Wordpress
    I've heard that the iPhone 5 is about to be launched... any one know when?
  • Free International calls
    via Wordpress
    Thank you so much for providing plenty of useful content. I have Bookmark your blog site and will be without doubt coming back.