Poor Performance Of Flash Player 10.1 On Droid 2 Justifies Apple's Decision To Not Allow Flash On Th

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imagePoor Performance Of Flash Player 10.1 On Droid 2 Justifies Apple's Decision To Not Allow Flash On The iPhone

Adobe had recently launched its new Flash Player 10.1 for mobile that is now being offered on the latest version of the Android OS. The launch has raised considerable interest and has got several iPhone users wondering if this could in any way bring Flash to their iDevices. However, according...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Itachi_Uchiha
    Itachi_Uchiha Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

yeahhh... flash not a good idea

• DarkReaper
    DarkReaper Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

We as consumers, payed for our devices and should be given the choice to toogle what we want.

• Legionofone
    Legionofone Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I run frash, it makes it nice for websites that don't use flash for gaming or videos but rather for there navigation and information pages, homestar runner works PERFECT!

• Mason
    Mason Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Good article but I honestly don't think anything is going to change. Not soon at least. Steve Jobs made it very clear he didn't like flash and Adobe also made it clear they stopped working on flash for the iPhone. So even if we are given the option, same problems will happen.

Why not just start making stuff in HTML 5 instead?

• Abel Goddard
    Abel Goddard Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

I put Frash on my phone, but it rarely does me any good, and I've actually had it toggled off for a while now.

• JC81
    JC81 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I like having the option to install what I want. I really don't care what Stevo Jobo says. We bought this off his company, now let me do whatever I want. Frash is awesome.

• iLauncher
    iLauncher Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

is frash better than imobilecinema? i have imobilecinema installed but dunno how to test the extent of flash compatibility on the iphone using it. has someone done a head to head comparison between imobilecinema and frash? thanx.

• Mackie
    Mackie Posts: 52
    via Wordpress

I agree. I am not a Apple fan but I must say Flash is not a stable platform even on PC. I got an Nexus One and after installed flash for few days I must uninstall the "crash flash" from the device

• T
    T Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

Why would he even bother playing flash games online. They are not touch customized so of course it wouldn't work. And optimizing flash for mobile phones is a lot cheaper and faster than redesigning using HTML5.

• Johnny
    Johnny Posts: 93
    via Wordpress

That would make this loyal iPhone user of 3+ years move to android!!!

• Patience
    Patience Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Somewhat agree but not sure about the cheaper or faster although I would think it would be. And imo I think this article is bs. Anyone would be dumb to think flash would work on a mobile as if you were on a PC (As this reporter seems to think). And honestly, why would owners of websites go full out with HTML5 when they can just optimize flash for mobiles and work like he said smoothly. And what people fail to realize is that this is just the beginning. I'm sure Adobe will work together with Google to improve flash on mobiles. Plus Adobe is launching AIR for Android by the end of the year. That should really be interesting

• ?
    ? Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

For that why don't you ask the owner of this website.

• >
    > Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

If Flash is not as stable or secure as Steve Jobs says then why have it at all on Macs? If Flash is a dying technology then he should just go all in with HTML5 and no longer support Flash whatsoever. That should really drive home the point.

• ?
    ? Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

What websites were you on that made your phone crash so much?

• Manuel
    Manuel Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Ever since I use Click-to-Flash my web experience has been better and my MB battery lasts a lot longer. Give us flash but please give us the option to shut it off. I don't care about the technical aspects, I want a trouble free experience.

• garoti
    garoti Posts: 27
    via Wordpress

steve crying baby jobs is always crying on somethings. flash is not allowed on iphone because he does not make any money by doing so. my crying baby jobs is not ass smart ass my comex.

Frash is not perfect but better than nothing. Set up steve crying baby jobs.

• Bill Gates
    Bill Gates Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Just like Steve Jobs said, flash was originally designed to run on actual PCs or other full fledge computers, not mobile devices. Obviously Macs are more than capable of running PC apps which is why there is a working flash drivers for Safari. However, take a close look at how much resources are being hog up whenever you visit a flash enabled site and you will see Jobs viewpoint on flash. If Adobe still hasn't been able to optimize flash on Macs, would they even be able to do the same on Apple's memory-leaking sensitived mobile devices?

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

well if websites need to go back and redo all videos to optimize them for the mobile platform they might as well make them html5 since they have to do work anyway. i dont miss flash at all but when i get my iphone 4 on monday i will install frash on it just so i have the option of viewing flash videos. thats all we really need is the option of viewing it thats what has so many people upset

• yech
    yech Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I could careless about flash. smartphones are phones not computers if I needed something that needs to play flash I'll just go to a PC or Mac. big deal

• Motoman
    Motoman Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I don't see what the big deal is either. I use an add-on to block Flash content on my PC,since almost all of it is advertising junk.

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

I have droid 2, great phone over my 3gs. Flash has worked pretty close to perfectly for me. One or two complaints about ads in flash and incompatibility with a few sites, but as for laggy or low fps in Video, it has barely been noticable. I couldnt care less whether im getting the true experience from the source, im getting a way better experience from my phone than i did on my jb 3gs. I still get several hours of video with flash with minor configuration of background apps and services.

All this being said i'd still like for html5 to become more priminant, however, id be pissed if half the stuff i want to see online isnt available right now.

• Russ
    Russ Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Ya - and if we abandoned a technology every time we experienced a performance issue where would our "actual PC's" and other devices be today. What a lame ass "see I told you so" stance this is.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

youtube and hulu, both available on iphone in other ways.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

the only reasons i have it are for all flash sites (stupid, but there are still some) and to shut people up who say "my phone is better because it has flash, even though it sucks ass otherwise"

• iphone expert
    iphone expert Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

yea i dont miss flash at all it sucks on mac and pc and big surprise sucked more on mobile phones the new youtube web app the uses html5 video is fantastic and never has problems so apple made the right choice and all those winers who were like o bla bla ipad doesn't have flash can now shut up and and eat it

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress
  • Jonas
    Jonas Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

q: Does a car really need a radio when it was made to take us from point A to point B, and 90% of the time no good music actually plays?
    A: No, but it is a whole different experience

• Jonas
    Jonas Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

Flash should exist in iphone, and more and more people are switching to android because of these damn limitations jobs puts on our iphones

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

Who is it who works the software for the Flash App? Would Apple hire people, or would Adobe? Pretty sure it'll mostly be Adobe. Why cant they just make it so that Flash only when requested, like on Andoid's Skyfire. That way only the people who want Flash can slow down their personal phone and the people who love the taste of Mr.Job's knob in their mouth can not use it. Stick a disclaimer on the App saying it slows **** down and eats battery more.Beautiful thing about my Droid 2 is that i spent an additional 7.50 on it and have a spare battery. Havent used it yet because i havent gone more than 24hours without being near a power outlet.

• KC
    KC Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I'm using flash on my droid (original droid rooted, flashed with a custom rom, and overclocked from .5ghz to 1.2ghz) and it seems to run pretty well Hulu was working but when they found out the debug desktop workaround it quit but word is out that hulu is developing an android app.....