Apple: No Software Update To Bring New Features To Old Apple TV

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple: No Software Update To Bring New Features To Old Apple TV

Steve Jobs unveiled the next generation Apple TV at the media event in San Francisco yesterday. If you’re like me who owns the old Apple TV and were hoping for a software update to magically turn it into the second generation Apple TV so that you can stream movies and...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Phill Stevens
    Phill Stevens Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

this is rather a good thing as the first apple TV at least can download and purchase content. I don't see this taking off in that most people want to own what they buy not rent...Apple should have done its focus group for this product on a larger demographic base:-P

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

thot this site was only dedicated to iphones.

• TD
    TD Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

That is very disappointing, doesn't make sense why they can't just add a netflix app to the existing software. I paid a lot of money for that Apple TV

• original
    original Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Because they want another $100 out of you. Duh.

• Mick
    Mick Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Again we who supported apple by buying the old apple tv to hopefully push forward the tech have been kicked in the teeth, and how come new one 99 dollars in US and 99 pounds in UK? sorry steve with all the other things you have done to us. you can stick it were the sun don't shine.....

• Benjamin
    Benjamin Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

It is okay, the community will hack to the new aTV.
    Acquire the new apps and send them to the old one.
    Heck we can even adjust the menus to equal the new style.
    We can even hack it stream from a time capsule.
    So we get the good of the new and still be able to purchase from the old!

Thanks Steve, for making everything hackable and so we can it right for where you went wrong!!!

• iOS4
    iOS4 Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I did mention yesterday that the old Apple TV wont see the light and day of the new features. I for one only ordered the New aTV because of Netflix. I don't think i will be paying for TV shows when i can get them for free online. Netflix gives me enough movies to watch so buying movies is also out of the question. The only feature the new aTV is lacking to me is the storage but i believe with the usb port and the streaming from other mac/pc feature, it shouldn't be a hassle.

I will take the new aTV over the old one and time.

• VoIP
    VoIP Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I do not own the Apple TV, but this sounds a lot like Boxee .. http://www.boxee.tv/ .. and Boxee is free, catch is that you would have to hook your TV up to your computer. There is an iPhone app tho that turns your iPhone into a remote (works over wifi) and that's pretty cool. I think I will stick with Boxee rather than Apple TV .. I just don't really see the benefit..

• John Darabos
    John Darabos Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

is there a way to maybe (once the new apple TV is released) to put the software on a macbook pro?

• Steve B
    Steve B Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I too agree, they should release the SW to allow it to run on any Mac (Mac Mini or MBP etc...). They want you to Rent the content right? And if the Mac Mini or MBP's got blu-ray they would at least come up to what a PS3 could do there. I also find it funny that the Ping feature is listed under iTunes Store. Apple is always wanting to sell you something!

• Cafli
    Cafli Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm not happy of course. Gives me a reason to "try" something else (maybe Sony). I love apple products, but not religious in that sense, guess like a lot others. Apple will have to get back to their roots someday...or will face what history is all about.