Breaking News - $200 price drop on 8GB iPhone official: AT&T stores better prepared?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageBreaking News - $200 price drop on 8GB iPhone official: AT&T stores better prepared?

As expected the $200 drop on the 8gb iPhone isn't going very well with early adopters of the iPhone. Strangely folks at Apple stores have been caught off-guard as based on initial reports they seem to have heard of the price drop exactly when Steve Jobs announced it during the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

I am here to say ATT is not very friendly on this matter. I bought my 4g iPhone 18 days ago. To my surprise to find out my $500 phone is now discontinued didnt sit to well with me. So I called ATT before I knew about the 14 day refund procedure. There answer was "Sorry about your luck" well that didnt go over well so I proceded to call Apple. The very nice employee there told me if bought from a Apple store they are making exceptions to the 14 day rule and since I bought mine at a ATT store I need to contact a manager there. I proceeded to do just that and got the same response "Sorry about your luck". So I call apple back and by now im frustrated but still professional when talking. I then get this comment from the apple employee who would not let me speak. He told me what is my problem just deal with it and hung up. NOW WERE ON PISSED OFF STATUS and ive been on hold with apples corporate office for 20 mins. When they answer they are getting a huge earful. I did not spend $500 18 days ago to find out my phone is discontiued and recieve the customer service I have.

Good luck to anyone dealing with ATT..

• kyle
    kyle Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

All the Apple fans paid big bucks for these phones. The phone stuck out among all others and now they drop the price by $200 just a few months after release. Now pretty much anyone would spend the money to buy them and now these phones aren't going to be that special anymore. I felt betrayed. I'm sure those who bought the 4GB feel even worse. We were screwed over.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

I was lucky. I bought my 4gb iphone on Aug 30. I followed the Apple Special Event via engadget.com this morning and found out about the 4gb being discontinued and the 8gb model dropping in price. Yeah, I was pretty pissed off myself. So I jumped in the car and headed to the Apple store. They were really great about everything, not even asking me why I was returning it. They even set up my 8gb iphone for me. Mad props to Apple employees. If you bought an iphone in the past 14 days get yourself over to an AT&T or Apple store asap before they sell out of the 8gb models.

• randy
    randy Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

The two hundred dollar price drop does not hurt anyone. Early adopters of the iPhone got much more than $200 worth of ooooh and ahhhh out of the phone by impressing both themselves and others.

Grow up people. You still got a great deal. The poor people that will buy the iPhone at a lower price will never get that extra $200 of ooooh and ahhh.

And for those about to buy the less expensive 8GB iPhone. Be ready. The 16GB is just around the corner. Maybe you should hold off and wait. But then the new version 2.0 and 32GB will be around the corner.

If you are a baby and are worried about this then my advice is that you NEVER buy anything computer related in your life.

That way you can sleep at night.

• Eduardo Cavasotti
    via Wordpress

Geez... I bought mine 18 days ago.. I will call apple (i bought mine on an apple store) and see what they say...
    have any one succeed on getting money back after the 14 days? what should we tell them on the phone?
    Thank you for any input...
    This website is amazing.. I check it several times a day.. keep up the good work guys!!

• Rudy
    Rudy Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I just thought that I would mention I bought my iphone on september 4th, literally one day too early. But I called the AT&T store where I bought the phone and they said to do just what this article says. When I got there, I was the first person to ask for the refund, so it took them about 10 minutes to figure out how to do it. They were very friendly though and as soon as they figured out how, gave me a $200 refund on my credit card since I purchased the 8GB phone. My sympathies go out to all the early adopters, and if you bought yours within the last 14 days hurry up and go to the store ASAP.

• Rudy
    via Wordpress

sorry for doing two posts, but there is one other thing everyone here should know about. Most credit card companies and banks offer price protection through your card. Call your bank or credit card company to find out. Most of these policies are good for 60 days as opposed to Apple and AT&T's 14 day policy. It is kind of a pain in the ass to do, because they ask you to send in a printed, dated advertisement with the previous price, and often a second ad with the new price. It would be really cool if iphonehacks.com had these ads somewhere and could post them for people to print out, so that not all of the early adopters will still be screwed.

• Rudy
    via Wordpress

sorry for doing two posts, but there is one other thing everyone here should know about. Most credit card companies and banks offer price protection through your card. Call your bank or credit card company to find out. Most of these policies are good for 60 days as opposed to Apple and AT&T's 14 day policy. It is kind of a pain in the ass to do, because they ask you to send in a printed, dated advertisement with the previous price, and often a second ad with the new price. It would be really cool if iphonehacks.com had these ads somewhere and could post them for people to print out, so that not all of the early adopters will still be screwed.

• Eduardo Cavasotti
    via Wordpress

well, just called apple and they said they have a STRONG policy that is has to be within 14 days... I dont know what to do now.. maybe this second option Rudy gave.. I will read it again and see... good luck guys
    later!

• kyle
    kyle Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

$200 of oooh's and aaah's doesn't really cut it for me. But I love my phone so much I would do it again to have it earlier than the later adopters who paid $400. Just wish I could get $200 back lol :P

• Eduardo Cavasotti
    via Wordpress

Rudy,
    I called the bank and the credit card and none of them know anything about this possible Price Protection. I am trying know to get a hold of VISA to see if they have anything.
    I will keep you all informed.
    Ed.

• Judson
    Judson Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Steve Jobs's Letter to iPhone Customers:

The following is a letter released Sept. 6, 2007, by Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. ...

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

You can read more at Wall Street Journal if you have an account.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118910674094519630.html?mod=US-Business-News

• Eduardo Cavasotti
    via Wordpress

Better than nothing! :)
    Let's wait then and see...

• E1
    E1 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Pretty cool of Jobs to offer prior (the faithful) customers a $100 store credit, when in reality we all internally agreed to pay the $599 when we bought it. Even though I was bummed, to a small degree, yesterday when the price cut came out. I have to say it should not have been a surprise that this would have eventually happened. Totally agree the more users the better, the more useful apps, web sites etc... just please don't lock out the hackers or the hacked phones, they will stimulate new apps and capabilities, just look at what’s already been done!

Personally if Bluetooth stereo (A2DP), autonomous Bluetooth outlook calendar sync, Bluetooth GPS (prefer internal with turn by turn navigation), and ability to turn off Cell data access (for international travel) were added I would be happy with not cashing in on the $100 credit as its an awesome phone that would be so complete with these features. Its the first phone that makes data plans worth having. Until the iphone only RIM had figured out the formula to make data plans very valuable but at $40+ per month to gain enterprise access for Calendar wireless sync they were not very consumer friendly, and aligned with mostly the upper echelon of large corporation. Iphone has changed the consumer front for the better and i look forward to the future changes, will be easy to catch-up to Korea with data plan usage on such an excellent platform :)

Awesome product and company!

• Travis
    Travis Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
    Apple CEO

• randy
    randy Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

I think this is very lame. Why is Steve/Apple paying for people that have bought technology? I bought a computer yesterday and now it's not worth what I paid for it. I bought a used car and drove it three tenths of a mile and now it's worth a fraction of what I paid for it. I bought some food and now I'm hungry.

I love my iPhone. I would rather give Apple $300 cash than be so embarrassed and such a Poindexter that I beg and complain about my technology going extinct in three weeks, let alone two months.

It is sad that Apple is giving any rebates at all. Why? Really, why? If your feeling are hurt too bad, but rebates?

All I have to say is WOW.

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

First on the block to have the latest and greatest comes with a price. I was one of those people for a while. I enjoyed the internet before most people knew what the internet was.
    When I was in high school I worked all summer to save for a TRS-80 Color Computer with 4K of memory. Shortly after my purchase (about 3 - 4 months) the 64K unit was selling for the same price, $299.00.

This is not a new marketing strategy. PS3!!!! Xbox!!!

Cutting edge technology always slices into the wallet.

Enjoy your nice phone.. I still have a Katana on Sprint.....

• Leon
    Leon Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

**** you Eduardo Cavasotti,
    wtf is this faithfull customers comment, gtfoh

• Leon
    Leon Posts: 20
    via Wordpress