Apple Investigating Potential Issue With Slide-On Cases And iPhone 4 Causing Cracked Glass Back Pane

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Investigating Potential Issue With Slide-On Cases And iPhone 4 Causing Cracked Glass Back Panel

Ryan Block of gdgt is reporting that Apple’s iPhone engineering team are currently investigating a potential issue with third party slide-on cases and iPhone 4. It looks like the slide-on cases that are prone to dirt getting caught between glass back panel of the iPhone and the case can cause...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Lee Yo
    Lee Yo Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

First

No problems with Rubber Cases.

Is this article referring to Hard cases or Hard and Rubber cases?

• Skyline
    Skyline Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I have an incase slide on hard case and it's fine. Only issue I had was from my ifrogz case, ended up scratching the metal band on the side (right by deathgrip spot)

• J
    J Posts: 131
    via Wordpress

my 3G with a slider case (incase brand) caused what i thought was a scratch..but it's actually a crack. wow.

POS.

• bakediPh0ne
    bakediPh0ne Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Well...... Obviously we have a problem here because I've had 4iPhone 4's and all 3 have been scratched on the backs very easily! On one the front got shattered. What seems the strangest to me is that not one of them has been scratched on the front which leads me to wonder if the front glass is a different type than the back?? If someone had the resources they could test it and prove or disprove this theory.

Lastly, with my current i4 I've been using the actual Apple brand bumper and the metal antenna has scratches and worn spots all the way around.

• Th
    Th Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

My iPhone 4 has a very noticeable scratch right across the Apple logo on the back. I only noticed it after using the free Speck PixelSkin HD iPhone 4 case. I took this case off to switch to the Otterbox Defender. I hadn't noticed the scratch until then and I baby my iphone to avoid this type of thing. Very disappointed.

• Dustin
    Dustin Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I believe that they are talking about the hard slide on (in two pieces) type of cases. The rubber cases should be safer i would imagine.

• Frederick
    Frederick Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I have a slider case as well on my Iphone 4 and its fine so far, well except i cant have a screen protector on it because as a slide the phone into the case the case lifts the screen protector, basically ruining it. Thats my only dissapointment so far with the slider case.

• Dustin
    via Wordpress

I also had an ifrogz case with the same issue, i wasnt aware that plastic could scratch metal???

• Dustin
    via Wordpress

My iPhone 3G NEVER had scratches on the front of the screen, despite being in my pocket with keys, change, and other ect items, my Iphone4 on the other hand, has small long scratches all over the front glass (ive always had a case on it, so the back is still spotless, i also have a thin felt sheet on inside of my free speck HD hard rubber case (i love how thin it is and doesnt feel like the phone has a case at all) and i wish i have also been thinking of a way to put silicone on the inside of the edge of the case so when i put the phone in it would seal it watertight (also particle tight) but i dont want the silicone to be pressed into the edge of the phone, so im still thinking of a way to get around that. shouldnt Apple have thought of all this before they released a less than perfect product???? BOOOO on you Apple, oh and BOOOO on you Steve Jobs for not getting back with me on my idea about the case with a built in antenna relocator, I'm working on it, and have almost gotten my idea put into a prototype. I wish i had more resources like you, i could out develop you and your helpless army of wanna be engineers with my weed smoking hand tied behind my back.

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

Maybe you people with the scratched glass fronts and backs, were simplay holding the phone in the wrong hand....... pun intended.

• yehia
    yehia Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

i think this issue is real problem my trust is getting to lower to apple , as i have my iphone 4 scratched faster than the 3gs ..

• S41N7
    S41N7 Posts: 27
    via Wordpress

I think apple can make up the loss in faith by offering iPhone 4 customers a discount on the next upgrade.

• Ali
    Ali Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

i was disappointed wen i ordered a normal soft plastic case scratching my iphone 4 sides resulting in annoying spots on the fone, i ave ordered a leather pouch now

• Z0192
    Z0192 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Using a rubber Casing, just yesterday I took off my cover and volia, there was a hairline cracked at the back of my phone... Took it back to the mobile store.

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

I'm using iskin solo for the iphone 4 and doesn't damage the phone at all. It's probably some of those hard cases that causes the problem. I don't necessarily think it's a design flaw.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

Iv'e been using the PixelSkin HD case for almost a month now....just took it off to check the back of my phone and VOILA.

THERES NO SCRATCH OR CRACK.

This problem is one that any gadget would have. If you have anything hard between the [hard] case and the phone, you have a much higher increase in the pressure at that point. If that particle is one that is physically stronger than glass, it will keep ebbing away at it. Plastic just cracks, glass is something that propagates the crack.

Not everything is Apples fault, you have to make sure you take care of your phone. Sliding on a case doesn't make in invincible. One must make sure the case itself is clean...i mean DUH if you have particulate matter it WILL scratch something.

and finally, just because its chemically strengthened glass designed to resist something at the point of impact. If you keep something pressed on it..it WILL get scratched, anything will.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

i lost my train of thought at the end: scratch the "just because"

• lcurry12
    lcurry12 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I thought this was a joke posted by an iPhone competitor when I first saw it on another website. It might be a good idea to take a damp cloth and clean your phone and case every now and then. Works wonders. With a little care, this issue won't exist.

• Macdaddypdx
    Macdaddypdx Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

By the time most of us find the scratch, a new iPhone will be out anyways ;) I actually am working with the guys at DefaultCase.com and they have a wonderful product for dirt cheep! You guys should atleast stop by the website and check em out! Solid business mold and a really great product :)

• Fyta
    Fyta Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

It doesn't. Dirt gets in there and thats what scratches it.

• swatdep
    swatdep Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I have been running with an Incase brand slider since I got my phone on launch day. It fits really tight and I have had zero issues so far. I actually just took it off for the first time after reading this and the back is pristine, and there is very little dirt inside the sleeve. I wonder how many of these cracked phones are actually a result of rough handling and not the case itself. Bottom line, be careful with your $600 phone and it will probably be just fine.

• Eskimo
    Eskimo Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
  • a
    a Posts: 76
    via Wordpress

I've got an iPhone 4 with a PixelSkin case...
    I took it off just to check if there's any marks on it and it's pristine.

People should probably keep in mind that while a case keeps the phone from sustaining MORE damage than usual, throwing it in a case isn't a way to prevent the phone from sustaining minor damage if you're rough with it.