Verizon Preparing Its Network For The Arrival Of CDMA iPhone

Whizkid
Whizkid Posts: 135
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageVerizon Preparing Its Network For The Arrival Of CDMA iPhone

It was just yesterday that we heard about the news regarding the possibility of Apple prepping a CDMA version of the iPhone for Verizon by 2011. The story, which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal has since then been updated with new information. The initial article on WSJ...

Read the full story here

Comments

• natim
    natim Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Can you say: short ATT stock? Almost everyone I know plans to leave for Verizon. Verizon has been working 7 days a week updating towers for iphone and LTE network.

• eddfredd
    eddfredd Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Will I be able to talk and surf at the same time? And I'm not talking about when you connect the phone into wifi either.

• iOS4
    iOS4 Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

As long as it's on a 3G network, you can talk and surf at the same time. I stand corrected.

• natim
    natim Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Close friend is high level mgr with Verizon showed me maps months ago of the LTE build out and iPhone updates being done to towers in prep for it's arrival. Last wk told me LTE is live in our area but no phones to take advantage of it yet. Also said first would come the air cards before phones that could use LTE, which he thinks will be sometime in 2nd Q of 2011 so they are ready for CDMA iphone anytime now full knowing they will have chance to offer upgrade to the next gen iphone next year in late summer. Does that sound familiar with Apples record of announcing upgrades?

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I would never jump to Verizon. "The grass is always greener..." Verizon is too restrictive on their phones with their proprietary software and crap. AT&T leaves the OS alone for the most part. I remember back in the pre-iphone days when I was using a Razr. My girlfriend had one on Verizon and I was on AT&T. Verizon totally locked down her phone. I was able to put mp3s on a microSD and listen to them on mine. She wanted to do the same but when I put the same card in her phone, it wouldn't recognize or play the files because Verizon wanted people to use VCast. Her menus looked terrible and were harder to navigate. They were all red and branded. My phone was left the way Motorola intended and was easier to use.

I was able to use my own custom ringtones and walpapers. Once again she could only use ones that she purchased from Verizon. This wasn't just true for the razr, but all phones on Verizon. Verizon wanted all phones to have the same menus and navigation whether it made sense for that particular phone or not. Verizon also blocked certain apps and features as well. I know things have changed a little since then but I am sure they still get in the way. I'm sure this was one reason they didn't get the iPhone to begin with.

With AT&T, I could always look at the insturctions from the manufacturer of the phone. With Verizon, if you didn't look at their specific instructions, you'd be be completely lost and sometimes even wonder if they were the instructions for the same phone.

I'll be glad when people switch to Verizon. That will just take the load off of AT&T's network. It's easy for Verizon to say they can handle it now, but chances are they will have the same network issues. AT&T has always performed just fine for me here in the Houston, TX area. I'll be curious to see just how many restrictions Verizon place on the iPhone. Bottom line, dealing with Verizon (in all aspects) has never been a pleasant experience for me.

• Tony pepperoni
    Tony pepperoni Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Not with verizon even on 3g

• Bye Bye
    Bye Bye Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Verizon isnt all that great either. My roommate who absolutely hates AT&T, left them 2 years ago for T-Mobile, he left T-Mobile last year because of reception issues. Then he got an Incredible on Verizon and he has to charge his battery 2 times daily with minimal use because signal strength is always poor. So he will be going back to AT&T (hehe). I live in south orange county, CA. My roommate works in LA and still gets poor reception there along with where we live.

I will say this though... when i was snowboarding in mammoth last season... AT&T reception was close to nill and my friend had a good signal with Verizon. Thats pretty much the only time I've seen Verizon having better coverage in CA.

Maybe ill be able to pull a constant 4mbps on AT&T when Verizon gets the iphone and relieve some of the bandwidth pressure. :)

• Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
  • akri
    akri Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Verizon better be ready b/c a lot of people are planning to jump ship to them and they don't realize that the network can get congested again..I don't like AT&T but they do have the best coverage and signal strength..even tho their customer service sucks..I'm curious to see how it all develops. Thanks iphonehacks for your continous and insightful coverage of apple news..love ya..:)

• svnstrslm
    svnstrslm Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I doubt verizon will restrict the iOS. Plus just wait for the jailbreak and it wont matter. Plus jumping ship right away is a bad idea. I know most are like me and do not want to wait but just do it. AT&T will drop alot of subscribers and in return so will their network load. Price cuts are pure speculation but i do think there will be an improvement in the network. Plus then it gives a chance for constructive reviews on verizons service, data load and what not.

• ewj
    ewj Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

Not on Verizon 3G network

• ewj
    ewj Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

It is not the carrier it the phone. The iPhone does a lot of things well but its reception as a phone is poor. I have two AT&T phones my Samsung connects in places the iPhone does not.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

I can't wait til they overload the network on verizon and then all that smack about att will be put to rest big red got slot of people on smart phones as it is wait til this hog come to town to feed lmao

• IOS4 3GS
    IOS4 3GS Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I had reception in yosemety on AT&T but my friend on verizon didn't

• Melissa
    Melissa Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

no way, IM from Houston too!! and well Hopefully verizon throws out the red iphone LOL

• philit
    philit Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

it's not cdma guys is LTE network it's the same thing as gsm but in 4g