iPhone Tips & Tricks: Fix for iPhone's low ringer volume

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Tips & Tricks: Fix for iPhone's low ringer volume

One of the complaints of the iPhone, probably the most hyped gadgets ever created, has surprisingly been iPhone's low ringer volume. It seems to be well below the standard, in terms of volume, established by other mobile handsets. Most of the users have blamed iPhone's tiny speakers to be the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress
    Options

I agree completely. Two great high-pitched ringtones I enjoy are five seconds of the electronic soundstrack from "Space 1999" and the repeating flashback siren sound from "Kill Bill". The latter is so loud it freaks me out when the iPhone rings!

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Options

I set the bridge of 11AM by Incubus as my ringtone. it's definitely loud enough, but the bass seems to be a little distorted when it plays. Any ideas?

• Arthur Freydin
    Arthur Freydin Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

almost any ringtone I've tested sounds much louder than apple's stock tones.
    currently, I use the theme for American Beauty for my girlfriend's ring and a couple others for other people. Every ringtone sounds louder than stock.

• Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    Options

For the bass in the phone's speaker... Drop the ringtone in Garageband, (try Soundforge 'PC', or try Audacity 'MAC') run a graphic equalizer or something of that nature and cut out any frequency below about 80-100Hz Those frequencies will just muddy up the speaker, especially a bass-heavy mix. I don't have time to give a step by step, but try decreasing the bass.

As for the volume of Apple's stock ringtones: They are no where near the industry standard of 0dbs. I've made sure to normalize the audio for ringtones going into my phone to THIS level (0dbs), the result... the phone produces more than adequate volume. I've had my phone maxed out and really couldn't hear it before. Now most all ringtones sound loud. (and good, aka no buzzing or cracking in the speaker)

WARNING: Most "warm" or "mellow" sounding songs and tones are not going to produce enough of the frequencies that cut through the noise of everyday life. Songs that are classified as ringtones, such as those that download strait to the phone, have been very "adjusted" to cut through. Not just conversion happens in this process, but boosts and cuts in key frequencies. I guess Apple didn't get the memo.

WARNING: Louder is better, Right? If 0dbs is good, how about +10dbs! Not a good idea, overtime you WILL hurt your speaker. There is a reason it's called an "industry standard" anything above 0dbs is not recommended.

Lastly, no worries. I think I speak for most to say that the iPhone's "pros" far outweigh it "cons."

• Reg
    Reg Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

It's Mac, not MAC.

(Unless you are SHOUTING or referring to Media Access Control.)

Mac is an abbreviation of Macintosh, not an acronym.

• Kendrick
    Kendrick Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

ya i used to have a blackjack and it played loud ringtones just fine. i used the same song for the iphone and it sounds horrible. i tried reducing the base as much as i could, but it doesnt work.

• Kendrick
    Kendrick Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

ya i used to have a blackjack and it played loud ringtones just fine. i used the same song for the iphone and it sounds horrible. i tried reducing the base as much as i could, but it doesnt work.

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    Options

the modded "Cell Phone Ringing" works very well...

thanks!

• john rogersonsteinsberger
    via Wordpress
    Options

^ Christian thinks hes bad ass for correcting you for such a small meaningless error.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    Options

^ Shawn think's he's badass for pointing it out.

• mike
    via Wordpress
    Options

• mike
    via Wordpress
    Options

• Bedok
    Bedok Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

^ Mike thinks he's badass for triple posting.

• AlKu
    AlKu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

you guys are nuts :P

• shane blyth
    shane blyth Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Options

"You can download the enhanced version of "Cell Phone Ringing"

ok so what do i do with this file when it has been downloaded... sorry i am new at this
    cheers

• Miakosan
    Miakosan Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

Friends, please don't kill me an once :) . As "shane blyth" I am a new user of iPhone and almost destroyed it by installing iFantastic just to get the file inside device :(
    What should I do to get it work, if I have:
    1) iPhone vers. 1.1.1 (3A109a);
    2) Mac OS Leopard with iTunes vers 7.6 (29);
    3) file "Cell_Phone_Ringing.aif" on my Mac and not on my iPhone?

Thanks!

• Miakosan
    Miakosan Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hello!
    I converted my own file Loud.mp3 to format m4a by program Switch Plus, and transfered it to iPhone by iNdependens 1.3.1. It is now on the iPhones sound list as Loud.m4r (as all other sound files there with an extention m4r), but... it does not work (no sound at all). I can hear only original sounds from the list. What I did wrong?
    Thanks!

• Gustavo
    Gustavo Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    Options

thanks, this really works, but do you have any other enhanced ringtones available ?

• Rich Cook
    Rich Cook Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

HEre's how to get ringtones onto your iPhone if you have a Mac without hacking the iphone!
    How to make ringtones with iTunes 7.6 and iPhone 1.1.3.

Apple has stopped allowing mp3s to work with iPhone ringtones. Also, ringtones need to be "short" (< 30sec? make 29 secs or less in iTunes)

How To:

1) Copy out songs or files to a folder and open them with QuickTime player.
    2) Shorten them to 29 seconds
    3) Export them to AIFF format
    4) Import aiff files into iTunes.
    5) Convert them to AAC format.
    6) Copy aac files out to folder. They will have .m4a extension.
    7) Change their m4a extension to m4r
    8) Delete the original aac files from iTunes
    9) Empty the trash
    10) Drag the m4r files onto iTunes. They should appear into ringtones area and get put onto phone next sync.

• elmo
    elmo Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

I am new to the iphone. I have 16G and used ziphone. i downloaded some stuff thru the installer but now i can't see my calendar icon. please help. thank you
    k_hundred@yahoo.com

• adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress
    Options

hey I got an 8 gb and I used iliberty does anyone know how to make edge work

• Sukhwinder
    Sukhwinder Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

elmo, edge is simply setup,
    just goto setting>gernel>network>edge>apn= your carrier APN address like i am using Cellone and its APN is gprsnorth.cellone.in
    you have done it enjoy

• Tracy
    Tracy Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

For custom ringtones, followed the path: library/audio/apple loops/apple/life sound effects/jingles

Those jingles are songs. Choose ones that are higher pitched and they'll make good ringtones.

To make the volume louder, double-click the jingle to pop it in to itunes.

Under ' get info', click on the options tab, and adjust the volume all the way up. Allso pull equalizer preset to bass reducer

Download the application PocketMac RingtoneStudio. It is very easy to use.

Open the application and drag your song (the new edited version, not the original jingle), onto the window. Clip it to <30 secs, and it will dump it into your ringtone folder in iTunes. Next time you sync, it will be on your phone.

You can use the same process with music files from your iTunes. Just make sure you duplicate the original song and give it a different name or you'll lose your good song.

• Tracy
    Tracy Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

For custom ringtones, followed the path: library/audio/apple loops/apple/life sound effects/jingles

Those jingles are songs. Choose ones that are higher pitched and they'll make good ringtones.

To make the volume louder, double-click the jingle to pop it in to itunes.

Under ' get info', click on the options tab, and adjust the volume all the way up. Allso pull equalizer preset to bass reducer

Download the application PocketMac RingtoneStudio. It is very easy to use.

Open the application and drag your song (the new edited version, not the original jingle), onto the window. Clip it to <30 secs, and it will dump it into your ringtone folder in iTunes. Next time you sync, it will be on your phone.

You can use the same process with music files from your iTunes. Just make sure you duplicate the original song and give it a different name or you'll lose your good song.

• Raybob
    Raybob Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Off-topic, sorry: how do you get an AIFF file on an iPhone (NOT in iTunes already) into iTunes? I have a friend with a very new iPhone (she's a non-techie) and just came back from a Native American gathering where she recorded about 80 songs to her phone in AIFF and she wants to get them into iTunes to burn CDs to share with her gathering friends. Any help here is appreciated. Thanks!

• Hussein EROL
    Hussein EROL Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Claire Godwin
    Claire Godwin Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi, this is without question THE most usefull site. ever. I have managed to set my Iphone up ok (Im not very techie.... was also dissapointed i have no MMS capabilities) But please help. I NEED a longer and louder incoming text tone/alert. The standard ones are rubbish....what can i do??
    many thabks, Claire

• tzuwho@comcast.net
    via Wordpress
    Options

Anyone have a fix for the actual phone volume? The ringer is ok but I can't hear anyone when I make or receive calls.

• dougan.alan@yahoo.co.uk
    via Wordpress
    Options

hi guys my iphone volume was really low i have taken the mesh cover out at the bottom and using a small needle poked a few small holes right through the mesh and the glue on the back and the sound is 100% better try this it really works, how they expect any decent sound to come through the glue on the back of the mesh is beyond me !!!

• Scorpio
    Scorpio Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Really?? After reading this article, the only thing you could find to say was to criticize someone's use of capital letters? Here's a few for ya:

GET A LIFE.