iOS 4.2.1: Update For iPhone Jailbreakers And Unlockers From Dev Team

Comments

• TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Will do. Thanks! Which jailbreak should I use? I believe it's two out right now. I'm just learning about all of this so thanks for your help.

• TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

I know I can't unlock my phone right now. I was just asking whether I should jailbreak and wait on the unlock, or should I jailbreak it once the unlock is out.

• iP3g
    iP3g Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

iOS 4.2.1 update for iPhone 3G is useless. None of the updates work!

• JT
    JT Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I sure do hope so.. Im most def gonna
    try it...

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

What about if you already have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS using GreenpoisOn? Would you have to jailbreak your phone again once updated to iOS 4.2.1 with new jailbreaking tools? Or will GreenpoisOn still work? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Ed

• iPhoneDev
    iPhoneDev Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Once a device has been jail broken with the ability to install new software, why not use iTunes to backup a means of jail breaking again after an iOS change?

Simple solution: write an app that takes any existing app from the AppStore large enough to be a "wrapper" for the Cydia app and places the Cydia executable inside of it. The app would appear to be normal (even the checksum can be fudged) and would be backed up by iTunes. Running that app would just run Cydia. Afterall, we are just looking for a means to copy new apps to the phone.

This is how we use to do things with other platforms, what am I missing here?

• Microsoft fan boy
    via Wordpress

Not that I'm an expert at this or anything but I think there's a tad bit more involved in jailbreaking than just getting Cydia installed...

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

apple ships phones with the latest OS... like instantly... so if you don't have it in the next day or so... your SOL.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

would never work... apps installed by itunes are run in a sandbox... they have no access to anything but specific API's outside of themselves... they would never be able to have the needed root access to the phone to install other apps, change files, create directories, etc etc etc

you are over simplifying and ignoring the fact that apple has many security features in place.

• vivienne
    vivienne Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

If I've already jailbroken my iPhone 4 using Limera1n for iOS 4.1, and a new one is later released for iOS 4.2, how would I go about upgrading that jailbreak?
    Would I have to restore my phone, install 4.2, then jailbreak and THEN reload all the apps I had previously?

Thank you so much!

• iUrAs
    iUrAs Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Pwnage Tools 4.1.2 or SnowBreeze 2.1

• iUrAs
    iUrAs Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

If you have already jailbroken your iPhone 4, you just have to wait for PwnageTool 4.2, cook your custom iOS 4.2 firmware (using PwnageTool) and restore (use alt key) with iTunes.

If you update your iPhone 4 with official iOS 4.2 firmware your baseband will be update and unlock will not be possible.

• fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress

Finally we have some hope of converting ipod 4 to iphone 4

• samual
    samual Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i often found so many mature and philosopher like personalities here.

so iphonehacks.com soon will be turn into iphilosophyhacks.com

lolzzz

• Sumeeth
    Sumeeth Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

I have upgraded my 3G iphone to iOS 4.1 (8B117). The baseband is 05.14.02. can some one please help me with the following doubts?
    1. Can i jailbreak it using redsn0w?
    2. Is redsn0w available for windows users as well?
    3. I need to do the unlock as well. Can some one please tell me when is the ultrasn0w release expected to unlock 05.14.02 baseband?

• Alaa
    Alaa Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i have an i phone 3g withe ios 4.1 and Modem firmware 05.14.02 how can i unlock it please any one can help

• iPhoneDev
    via Wordpress

Yes, I did over simplify the process for the sake of boring some, but it is certainly possible. Here is how....

Let's say iOS 4.3 is released. We (the various dev teams) figure out the changes to the new version iOS and we would then know exactly what is required to patch it (jail break so we can access everything). So, now as a user (*before* updating to iOS 4.3) you would download from Cyida the special app that converts an existing AppStore app into our jail break app, call it "FauxRa1n". This is the app we created that will patch the OS and install Cydia. We run FauxRa1n it prompts you for a legit AppStore app (big enough to contain the patching code and Cydia). The app is modfied. Backup your phone with iTunes and the app will be backed up. Now, we update the phone to iOS 4.3 and then restore our backed up files. We then run the modified app that was restored and suddenly iOS 4.3 is jail broken and the Cydia icon appears. From here we can get PkgBackup and do a restore.

This process completely eliminates the need for a PC or MAC. Of course, this only works if a phone has been previously jailbroken.

• Cming from an older JB iPhone4 OS 4.1, how do u save/restore all your dwnloaded apps and like still manage to have it in ur latest upgraded version (say like 4.2.1)?? Anyone pls enlighten me with this? Tnx!

One more thing, if u have factory unlock unit that was already JB, would there be hazards involved by just upgrading latest iOS version via iTunes & just pick appropriate JB tool to JB again??

• iPhoneDev
    via Wordpress

"would never work... apps installed by itunes are run in a sandbox... they have no access to anything but specific API's outside..."

The sandbox can be washed away with an exploit.

• Lavender
    Lavender Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

You can also backup your SHSH blobs independently of jailbreaking (including before you jailbreak) by using the program TinyUmbrella (formerly known as The Firmware Umbrella).

This will make a backup of your SHSH blobs to your computer, and by default, it will save an online backup with Cydia as well. I recommend doing this TinyUmbrella SHSH backup now, whether you jailbreak now or later or never.

There's more to jailbreaking and whether you can or can't unlock - just don't update iOS until you know exactly what you want to do *and* how to do it.

• Zolk
    Zolk Posts: 184
    via Wordpress

I await your release of this jailbreak method.

• Koomoo
    Koomoo Posts: 52
    via Wordpress

For the last 2 posts go to limera1n.com download n save to desktop run it after follow the the directions after dat ur phone should be jailbroken n then there should be a green rain drop app tap it n install Cydia the unlock is not out yet being 5.14 will be out this week but after it's release it should be under manage>>>sources>>>repo666>>>ultrasnow

• Sumeeth
    via Wordpress

I tried limera1n, but is it supported for 3G. in the lime rain description posted in iPhoneHacks ite mentions only iPhone 3Gs and above. Could you please help?

• Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

Redsnow is your friend here...

• GreenBoss
    GreenBoss Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

what about my iPod Tou... i mean iPhone4 that i bought whith a built in iOS 4.1,,, when will i be able to unlock it :'(
    my band was one of the bands that is unlockable...yet...

• qwerty
    qwerty Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

use limerain much easier than gp

• Sumeeth
    via Wordpress

Thank you Zang.
    But is redsn0w available for windows users?

• הסרת שיער
    via Wordpress

Limera1n for iOS 4.1, and a new one is later released for iOS 4.2, how would I go about upgrading that jailbreak?
    Would I have to restore my phone, install 4.2, then jailbreak and THEN reload all the apps I had previously?

Thank you so much

• What about if you already have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS using GreenpoisOn? Would you have to jailbreak your phone again once updated to iOS 4.2.1 with new jailbreaking tools? Or will GreenpoisOn still work? Any advice or information will

• צריכת דלק
    via Wordpress

"would never work... apps installed by itunes are run in a sandbox... they have no access to anything but specific API's outside..."

The sandbox can be washed away with an exploit.