T.J Maxx And Marshalls Selling 16GB Wi-Fi iPad For $399

Whizkid
Whizkid Posts: 135
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageT.J Maxx And Marshalls Selling 16GB Wi-Fi iPad For $399

Folks over at Engadget recently reported that the discount department store chain T.J. Maxx and their sister chain Marshals have started selling 16GB iPad Wi-Fi only mode in select stores across the US. While that might not sound significant, the price at which they are selling surely would! At $399...

Read the full story here

Comments

• pacosan
    pacosan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I would not buy it for even $199. Ok, to re-sell it yes not to keep.

• JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress

that's because you have no use for it. As a business owner, I can see TONS of use for it. I am just waiting for the next version. Also, how are they selling it for a loss? It's cost Apple, what? $259 to make? They probably sell it to resellers for $379 I'd guess. But still, even at $399, no one's taking a loss. they're just not making any money. Any idea how much apple sells them for to resellers?

• Expert
    Expert Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

What happens is that the iPad is being bought for $400 (or slightly lower) and then being sold for $300.

Not many are being sold -- only about 80 according to cnet, most of them being located in its eastern stores.

• JDB
    via Wordpress

What?! "bought for $400, then sold for $300"?! That doesn't make sense. No business is going to give away a hundred dollars, and besides, they're selling them for $400. Unless I misunderstand you, what are you talking about?

• BestBuyGuy
    BestBuyGuy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Expert is NOT an expert! It's a misnomer. He couldn't even get the prices right. They're buying DEFINITELY for lower than $499. And then selling it for $399. They are NOT losing money, but just not making a big profit at all. They're lucky to even be able to sell the darn pads.

• JDB
    via Wordpress

Good deal. That's what I thought.

• my 2cents
    my 2cents Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

its called in the business a loss leader, people go in buy the IPAD which they make a loss or no profit but then buy something else or become a new regular customer, hence in the long term they make money, super markets do this all the time

• DAKPluto
    DAKPluto Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

They probably are selling for a loss. But they make more in the long run. The press they have gotten on this sale would have cost Millions in TV and Print ads. By selling, say, 1000 iPads at a ~$50 loss each, the $50k cost is saving them millions in advertising.

Example, when most new Game systems are released, like the Playstation, the companies normally sell them for a loss. But that's because they want as many systems out there so they can make billions in game sales that are so cheap to make the profit margin is staggering.

• Bomber254
    Bomber254 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Is it that big a secret what Apple sells ipads for wholesale. Surely one of the readers must know this. I wonder if big movers like BestBuy get a better deal?

• philit
    philit Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

it look like apple is getting ready for the new ipad next year

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

You guys need to re-read this entire article. They're selling ipads at a loss as a marketing scheme to attract customers to their stores. This is often practiced by big retail stores.