Apple To Enhance MobileMe Service In 2011?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple To Enhance MobileMe Service In 2011?

Long time users of Apple's MobileMe service will swear by its utility. However, a number of free and low cost alternatives have launched in recent times.

These services offer similar hosting and syncing features that have led to a lot of debate among Apple customers over MobileMe's $99 annual fee and if that may be worth the price.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Gilbert Tang
    Gilbert Tang Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    As it stands, the $99 fee is not worth it at all. When I originally signed up, Find My iPhone was the killer feature that made me make the leap. I was really happy with the tight integration with iDrive and syncing (unlike some, I've never had a problem), but now that the location service is available at no cost, it's hard to stomach. Pretty much every person who reads this site knows how to use a combination services to the same effect, rendering the value of MobileMe questionable at best. What you're really paying for is the convenience of being under the Apple umbrella, which, to be honest, does have its benefits (but not $99 worth), fanboyism notwithstanding.That said, I've become dependent on the @me.com email address, which is still virtually spam-free (save for the license Apple seems to take in using the paid-for address when announcing their own new products), so I recently renewed via an Amazon purchase of an "Old Version" code, which is less than half the price. I'm really hoping for vast improvements. Otherwise, this will be my last year with the service.
  • brvhrt
    brvhrt Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Between Informant, Google Calendar, iCal, Toodledo and basic Jott subscription for $39 problem free and works all the time. I call Jott and dictated mail, text, to do or calendar and all sync together my iPhone4, iPad and computer.Who needs Mobileme when you can get the same for free, I drive a lot so I need Jott but for the rest its all FREE.Just a thought!
  • iStevejobs
    iStevejobs Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Unsubscribe mobile me .Sent from my iPhone
  • Gilbert Tang
    Gilbert Tang Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    ...And just like that they send me an email (to my @me.com address) regarding an upgrade to MobileMe Calendar. Some admittedly useful features: event invitations with RSVP, sharing, and the new web app. Nice, but again, not worth $99.
  • CristV77
    CristV77 Posts: 51
    via Wordpress
    in my case it is, as I use the server a loooooot, so, $99 for a whole year of 20GB plus all the rest?, its cool by me
  • eldukie
    eldukie Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Been a member since day 1 and currently also using Google Premium business and other 3rd party apps alongside. MobileMe needs not only to enhance all around, but also to boost connectivity speeds, allow users to purchase iDisk space over 60gb limit, multi user group sharing, etc. I love Apple but each dollar counts bad nowadays!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Looks like Apple is concentrating on what matters, its services.
  • Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress
    I have had Mobile Me for two years but now I have cancelled it. For a long time I have wanted improvements since $99 after all is more than not paying anything. Especially with the disk storage. 20gb today isn't that much. My pictures alone on my iPad is closer to 22gb and that's only my pictures.So about 3 weeks ago I ended my me account so that I could save some money for later on. Perhaps for the next product Apple will bring to the table.Besides
  • Dan
    via Wordpress
    Besides iDisk my contacts was most important to save in caseIi lost my iPhone. Now I use my gmail to sync with my iPhone - for free. And here it also uses the pictures for each person I have in my address book on gmail.So for now I'm happy with the Google alternative but if they bring something better to the table perhaps I would comeback back. It has to be good and unique though because otherwise I don't see the reason for not choosing the free alternative.When all this
  • Dan
    via Wordpress
    When all this - my studip rabbit keeps making me post it to early - when all this is said I'm still a happy Apple customer with my iPhone 4, iPad, iMac 27" and MacBook Pro
  • putters
    putters Posts: 57
    via Wordpress
    I think Apple will integrate mobile me with iTunes, basically providing an organized method of sending things to and from the cloud. Onlive recently perfected streaming and proved they could do it on the ipad, yet apple has a way bigger cloud data system...hint hint? Yes, mobile me's fantastic feature is streaming content (apps, movies, music, ect.) with 25 free gig (to encourage customers) to iOS and OS X systems, thus opening the market for great graphical games (since memory is greatly expanded) and thinner products (less physical memory=more power). This will be a game changer in the industry, reinventing the industry and putting android in a tough position, but also inspiring Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony to incorporate this streaming technology into the next generation of video gaming consoles