Analyst Claims iPad 2 And iPhone 5 Will Get Dual-Core Chip

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAnalyst Claims iPad 2 And iPhone 5 Will Get Dual-Core Chip

Ashok Kumar, an analyst at Rodman & Renshaw claims that Apple’s iPad 2 and iPhone 5 will come with a dual-core chip to compete with RIM’s PlayBook, which is scheduled to be launched in early 2011 and Android “Honeycomb” based Motorola Tablet.

According to the analyst, the next generation iPad will get a dual-core processor featuring a pair of 1GHz ARM Cortex A9 cores.

The Rodman & Renshaw analyst claims:

Read the full story here

Comments

• iphone 4 unlocked
    via Wordpress
    dam a new iphone soon =/ that sucks
  • Alessandro91
    Alessandro91 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    I believe another proof of that is the inclusion, in iOS 4, of GCD (Grand Central Dispatch)... That was first created for multi-core Macs (introduced with OSX 10.6), and let developers handle multiple threads much easier.As the iPhone/iPad did have a single-core CPU, GCD is not showing its full possibilities... But, if that was introduced thinking to the next "A5" CPU...
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress
    That would be awesome but what about power consumption. I like my iPhone and iPad battery life. But im not opposed to it either.
  • k.dubb
    k.dubb Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    good point. it would definitely be awesome if the dual-core processor doesn't consume extra battery life. but i suppose the good ppl at Apple are already on top of it.so maybe a better lithium-ion polymer battery is on the way.
    ............ Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    well, didn't ARM came up with a ultra fast but low consumption chipset? I bet if APPLE invest more into battery technology, things will better.
  • phosphorus
    phosphorus Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    Every year apple improves battery life and the processor speed. I assume this year won't be an exception.
  • FredMC
    FredMC Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    hmmm maybe the iPhone 5 should have dual battery too.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    wot is the use of all this wen apple cant even offer them on time
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress
    would luv a multicore system, maybe they can tweak the A5 for variable clocks even turning off one core, doubt it ... still variable clocks maybe the best bet to balance heat, power and performance, don't know about cost though ... Steve really wants to maintain those high margins on the ios devices ... still Im not very familiar with ARM architectures it can't really be compared to the likes like Nehalem found in the epic core i7s ... for now Im just hoping.
  • The Dre
    The Dre Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    FredMc: Stupid? Dual core ARM consumes less power handling the same tasks as a single
  • iPhonist5Gs
    iPhonist5Gs Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    I put all my russian roubles on Intel's Atom Moorestown SOC which runs on 1.5GHz and is proven to be extreme power efficient. Apple must have a working prototype iPhone 5 already and the Atom Moorestown soc is available since May 2010 so i wouldnt be suprised if Jobs already gone back to Apple's roots of chosing Intel as the cpu/gpu supplier for its devices.
  • Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress
    Any chance of a larger screen size? I know it might cause a little havoc with existing apps, but......That might give room for extra battery space.
  • Andrew R
    Andrew R Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Uh, they won't. ARM processors are incredibly efficient with battery life, more so than a huge laptop processor. I don't care how power sipping the atom processors are, the ARM processors always will be more power efficient. Also, Intel GPUs suck.