Apple Rejects Sony Reader App; Wants Apps Offering Purchases Elsewhere To Support In-App Purchases

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Rejects Sony Reader App; Wants Apps Offering Purchases Elsewhere To Support In-App Purchases

Last night, New York Times had reported that Apple had started rejecting applications including Sony’s Reader app since it allowed users to access content that is purchased outside the App Store.

This raised doubts on the fate of popular apps like Kindle and Barnes & Nobles NOOK for iOS devices as users have to purchase content from their respective websites to view content using the apps.

New York Times reported:

Read the full story here

Comments

• IT.Repk
    IT.Repk Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    apple will be apple, always after their 30% piece of the cake.
  • Qaiser Khan
    Qaiser Khan Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    So when we gone see Sony’s Reader app in Cydia? coz whenever apple reject some app we see those apps in Cydia.....
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they've gotta pay steve's medical bills somehow lol
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    don't be a ****. you wouldn't be reading this site if it weren't for him.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Now its the kindles chance next.
  • PeterSW
    PeterSW Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    As a small dev for iOS I can tell you we dont know any more than you do. We dont get given updates on policy though the TLAs make sobering reading as they are very one-sided and you can guess in whose favor the terms are. I dont use or want my apps to have in-app purchases but if I did I would also want those to be allowed from outside. This is customer choice and something I believe strongly about. Apple is a big corporation with one thing in mind - profit. They aren't Santa nor are they the great Satan. They are a business and their business is to make money.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    It specifically says that the "option" for an in-app is required. It doesn't say that's the ONLY method allowed. From my understanding, users could follow a link inside the ebook app to buy an ebook if they choose to while the option to purchase it in-app through apple is available as well.How does this affect us as consumers? It doesn't, so let's not start the steve bashing.
  • David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress
    in-app purchase is very handy and you must consider that not all iDevice users are going to be tech savvy.but if apple removes the kindle then i am just going to have to buy a kindle because iBook's selection blowsHear that apple?!?!?! some one else is doing a better job than you and I for one am spending $ somewhere else
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    or indeed crapples "control freak" policies lol
  • Sean O
    Sean O Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Apple's guidelines don't align with the real-world of the existing apps. They need to get their act together or the SEC is going to start beating up on them for monopolistic tendencies or favoritism of one competitor over another.From their guidelines:11.2 Apps utilizing a system other than the In App Purchase API (IAP) to purchase content,functionality, or services in an app will be rejected11.3 Apps using IAP to purchase physical goods or goods and services used outside of theapplication will be rejected.So how does this line up with Netflix or Starbucks (great app BTW - buying coffee with my phone is fantastic) or Amazon.I understand Apple needs rules to prevent the wild west but they need to make those rules consistent across apps.
  • JAYSON
    JAYSON Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Apple is an epic fail.