AT&T Hit By Class Action Lawsuit For Overcharging iPhone Users For Data Usage

Whizkid
Whizkid Posts: 135
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Hit By Class Action Lawsuit For Overcharging iPhone Users For Data Usage

A disgruntled AT&T user has filed a class action lawsuit against US Carrier alleging that it is overcharging users of iOS devices like the iPad and the iPhone for data usage.

Patrick Hendrix alleges that AT&T is claiming bogus data usage even when an iOS device is left idle and claims that he hired an independent consulting firm to conduct a two month study on AT&T’S practices for data usage.

According to the lawsuit:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
    I've always felt that cell phone companies charged too much for data, minutes and any other service.
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Wow! Everyone is filing a lawsuit everyone.I'm thinking of file a lawsuit for not release unlock for 4.1 Lol...... JK ..,,, release sooner pls
  • hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress
    Don't you enable the Fetch feature automatically when you disable Push Notifications? It would be a logical explanation unless he has it set to manually.
  • Someone
    Someone Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    I still have the unlimited plan so I could care less :)
  • Christoph
    Christoph Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Hmm, until recently you had to sign up for an unlimited data plan if you wanted to have an iPhone. So personally I have never been "over"-charged for data (let's ignore how I feel about the base price). Of course, things now look different with the new, capped data plans.
  • Jatt
    Jatt Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    i love unlimited data........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... 6gb..................................................................................7.5 gb...........................................................8gb
  • Greg
    Greg Posts: 106
    via Wordpress
    Doesn't beat P Diddy being sued for $1 trillion. 900 billion in child support and 100 billion in loss of income. Also accused of masterminding 9/11.
  • Koomoo
    Koomoo Posts: 52
    via Wordpress
    Lol @ AT&T hope they lose a lot of money over the lawsuit
  • USA
    USA Posts: 16
    via Wordpress
    this idiot just want some money.... he even hired inspector gadget.... wowyou can always talk to att and adjust the mistakes if there's any... they're very good at that.
  • Arran
    Arran Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    awww its so sad to hear all the complaints in the US about data related stuff. In singapore, all telcos give 12gb free data everymonth, basically its impossible to finish that allowance! yes 12gb, no typo here.
  • Jared
    Jared Posts: 67
    via Wordpress
    i had/have a very similar problem. wish i could talk to the guy.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    The problem is that att doesn't always post the data usage info at the time it's used and instead consolidates some into one entry while they single out other entries. In looking at my data usage, I also notice that there's 1-2mb of data per day being charged to my account even when I'm home and on wifi the entire time.It's due to the iphone turning off wifi when it goes into locked mode. During that time, it seems that data is being sent through 3g and not wifi. I'd like to see this fixed by apple through an option to turn it off.The only solution that I know of now is to turn off cellular data network when at home or when I'll be around wifi access for awhile.
  • DaddyRex
    DaddyRex Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I had been suspicious of fraudulent practices like this. My wife got a limited data iPhone last month and has only used the phone a few times. Essentially no data use and 2 apps that she hasn't used. When I checked her data usage, it shows a surge of about 250 KB almost every night after midnight when we are sound asleep.
  • FredMC
    FredMC Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    What is there to Fetch if no mail accounts are configured?
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Looks like ATT needs to recheck it act.
  • Harry
    Harry Posts: 57
    via Wordpress
    I bet you the phatom datais from the clock and weather app and if you have a 3GS or iPhone , even the compass.
  • Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress
    This is likely a software issue with the iPhone and not so much a network issue with AT&T. The real test is if the phone is turned completely off, does AT&T still clock in even a bit of data usage onto the account? If not, then it's obviously the phone and not the network that's initiating the data transfer.That said, I still wish AT&T would give us back unlimited data plans!
  • flyez
    flyez Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    i agree with you 100%, lets file a lawsuit against the Dev team for not releasing 4.1 unlockand another lawsuit against apple for closing all the port holes that dev team uses to unlock iphone :)
  • John M
    John M Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    As somebody who posted on this site and clearly has access to public information, you would know that At&t came out and already stated they would re-enact unlimited data for current iPhone subscribers.
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress
    loving my unlimited data plan so i dont have this issue with being over charged but man this dont look good for AT&T although it does sound like more of an iphone issue
  • King
    King Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    I am going to file a lawsuit on Apple for not releasing the unlock code for the iphones (2g, 3g, 3gs) which were out of contract...:)
  • Crazy Asylum
    Crazy Asylum Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    its probably the iphone, the only way i could see them having a solid case is if every type of smartphone on at&t network got these charges
  • common sense
    common sense Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    The reason why the IPHONE connects to the internet even when idle, is because the network is constantly updating the phone's profiles, but because the iphone cant receive OTAs (over the air) viathe regular GSM network the only other way is thru GPRS.This is why a data plan is required on most smartphones, some of them behave like this. Its not AT&T fault, its the design of the phone. So the lawsuit should be aimed at apple.
  • Flame Red
    Flame Red Posts: 42
    via Wordpress
    Probably the Iphone sending "Hello" messages to keep the connection going. So it could be Apple's IOS feature, or a feature of the firmware or chip set.
  • djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress
    It seems that idiots are always the first to call others idiots. Not that I'm calling you an idiot. Not at all. But, it's a class action suit which means that if AT&T looses all affected AT&T customers win. We all would get a share of the award. Also, the suit, if it is not baseless, publicly exposes an issues we should all be aware of and would force AT&T to correct the "problem."
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress
    I think the disgruntled user needs to stfu. If you don't want data usage, don't get a smartphone. Otherwise stop being a cheap ass and pay for the unlimited plan.
  • Mustang
    Mustang Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I worked in Tech Support for over 7 years for AT&T and believe me I cannot stand that place. I do still have my cell phone service thru them though. That guy is barking up the wrong tree though. The issue is with the iPhone, not the network or the billing system. The iPhone is designed to "update" itself periodically by its designer and AT&T has absolutely no control over that. Every time it does those updates you will incur a data connection and data charges will apply
  • USA
    USA Posts: 16
    via Wordpress
    Get a job idiot. Didn't mean to call you an idiot, idiot. Lol but AT&T won't give you money for a cheeseburger.
  • stranger
    stranger Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    you mean you couldn't care less.cause if you could care less that suggests that it does hold some sort of importance.
  • Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress
    Umm... No, AT&T hasn't publicly come out with unlimited iPhone data plans. Get your facts straight kid.