Apple says NO to iPhone Hacks and Unlocked iPhones; iPhone Dev Team condemns Apple; to respond with

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple says NO to iPhone Hacks and Unlocked iPhones; iPhone Dev Team condemns Apple; to respond with a Restore Tool

The battle between the iPhone hackers and Apple is now out in the open and seems to getting more interesting. After approximately three months of uneasy silence Apple had yesterday finally released an official statement warning users that "unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs" could cause "irreparable damage to the iPhone's software"....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Spenser
    Spenser Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I don't know that it will stop me, but I will certainly wait to see what happens after this update before I do anything.

• felix
    felix Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

it will be intrrstng to see how fast the comunity can respond to the new locking methods that apple must be incorporating in the new firmware. since there seems to be some problems in jailbreaking the touch we might be in for quite a wait until the unlocked and generally hacked phones will be openable again and therefore upgradable. hmmm...... wifi itunes i guess will have to wait a bit.

• Eisa AlMuhairi
    Eisa AlMuhairi Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Apple is trying to lock down the iphone because the make a lot of profit from AT&T. However, it should be the users choice weather to unlock the iphone or not. I think its childish of Apple to lock the phone to a certain carrier. Even in the UAE they are trying to lock the phone with one carrier, Etisalat or Du. Which is ridiculous since all the phones that are being sold there are tri-band and world wide ready phones. They have at least French, English, and Arabic and much more features for business men and other consumers.

People will still unlock their phones to have the luxury of using their phones while traveling abroad and install applications to their needs.

I wish Apple were more open-minded about the cell phone industry and get rid of the idea of locking a phone to a certain carrier.

Nokia for example, is one of the biggest cell phone industry (i think), and most of their phones sold outside the US are factory unlocked, along with many other cellphone manufacturers such as Sony Ericsson, Siemens, iMate, and others.

If the US, i noticed that the cellphone technology here is a bit slow on progressing. For example, Ive been using blue tooth technology on my phones for about 2 or three years, syncing with my computer, sharing files with other phones and computers and being able to connect to auxiliary devices sch as headsets and car kits.

This is just my opinion on whats going on, and I support iPhone DEV team and others who are trying to make the iphone a more sophisticated and interesting device.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

Thank god we have a wonderful group of people such as iPhone Dev Team producing affective software which helping a lot of people to be able to use the iPhone without AT&T's terrible service and coverage, not to mention the outrageous roaming charges while overseas, also keep pushing Apple to be more innovative on their product line which is good for consumers like us.

• Monolith
    Monolith Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Great move by Apple there.. alienate the customer base that's responsible for the iPhone being successful, while negating all the development time that others have spent, simply trying to add things we've all asked Apple for since day 1 into the iPhone.

They're tripping over themselves because they are under contracs. I wonder if this press release would sound any bit as bad if the iPhone unlocking software/hardware did not exist. The press release seems to take much less care towards hacks than it does the unlocking. So I fully suspect it's a deal with AT&T that's causing the backlash.

More than likely AT&T noticed first, since so many seem to be unlocking their iPhones. I'm sure they can at least tell when the frequency of iPhones using their network suddenly plummets considerably. Sucks to be them I guess. Apple and AT&T should have seen it coming when they both decided we all had to pick -just- them for this to work. An then try to shove an SD-card-less, no IM, no GPS, tiny storage-size, gameless, java and flash-less iphone down our throats.

Let's hope apple finds the good way out of this, and tries to -support- what we want added. Because I can see the hackers coming up with all the add-ons we love wether Apple wants it or not. It's just a question of how far on top Apple is.. an at this rate they look set to loose control totally when we assert our filesystem control to it's ultimate level.. perhaps writing a new OS for the phone. :P

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

is this going to affect me if i just dLed a hack to transfer my mp3's to ringtones for free?

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

is this going to affect me if i just dLed a hack to transfer my mp3's to ringtones for free?

• iPhOnE LoVeR
    iPhOnE LoVeR Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

i don't get it, so now I unlock my ipod and use it as a phone?

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

phone froze all i get is errors during restore, everytime i start the phone it get plug into itunes! help help help!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Robert,

Why don't to try to use the recovery mode which is probably the last option to rescue the iPhone. Details are available here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2007/08/tips-and-tricks.html

• Mitch
    Mitch Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Here's an idea apple - instead of worrying so much about people (god forbid) using their OWN music to make ringtones (as they can on ANY windows mobile based phone), howzabout you actually giving me some new features? How about an integrated IM, so I dont HAVE to try to hack? How about native software from APPLE that I can install? The homepage has room for buttons, why the hell aren't you USING them? Oh, I'm sorry, thats right, those are only available to people who bought their iphones in the last 2 weeks.

Now we can all wait and be enfuriated when, 2 months from now, a 16GB phone, 3g and GPS enabled comes out, for oh, say, the same price as an 8GB now?

Screw apple. This will be my LAST venture into their products.

• madscientest
    madscientest Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I too am an upset apple iphone customer. Apple needs to pull their head out of there ass and realize that people are hacking into these phones to add features they need in a phone that apple should give us, but no, they feel the need to give us useless apps that cost us money like ringtones and the itunes store. What about the apps that dont run in safari like games!!!

I fully 110% support the hackers who bring us REAL function ability to the otherwise USELESS state that apple give it to us in. I have been an apple consumer since 1999 and i am starting to think that this will be my end to praising apple products. They lack consumer information and no real time of when and what they are working on.

I just updated to the 1.1.1 version of the iphone and hoped it would give us apps, but after a 2 month wait i again am very pissed off. An ipod with bluetooth but no bluetooth audio????? what the hell is this. I can rant and rave about all the things that the phone is missing all day long but this is not my point, which is this

If apple does not give us what we want in our device then of course we are going to hack it. If you actually listen to your customers then we would have all the missing apps and features that we used to have with our previous so called smart phones which you are making look like smarter phones.

Its starting to smell like ROTTEN APPLES!!!

• luddite
    luddite Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

While I can understand the frustration, it all comes down to a manufacturer controlling its products. If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy it - for crying outloud, it's an iPod with phone capabilities. US cellphone service is in the dark ages because of the landline infastructure. It will take years for the US to catch up - so why be surprised a phone marketed for US use only sucks every where else? I feel for you guys, but you had it coming.

• Pasha
    Pasha Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

By the way...I got an old iphone and ibricked it..haha..took me 2 days to recover, but i did, so thanks guys for the info.

But I also got another iphone to play with today (thanks to some rich guy, who wanted it unlocked, and use with non ATT card), but it was a newer version.
    This is what i did to unlock it, without ever inserting a ATT card:
    1. Downgrade to 1.02
    2. use iBricker to jailbreak
    3. install anySIM and run it
    (there was a success message, as you all know the new iphone now contains the new version of the baseband 4.01, sucks, i was stuck)
    Solution: (woof, took a risk and it worked)
    3. download FreeBDS and openSSH to iphone
    4. then follow the instructions to unbrick your iphone to downgrade the baseband back to 3.14
    5. run anySIM, then INdependence to activate...

maybe there is an easier procedure, but i used both mac and pc to get this working. sometimes the iphone would get stuck in the "connect to itunes" so used iphoneinterface from ibrick to boot up.