Apple Acquiring App Developer To Revamp Notification System For iOS

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Acquiring App Developer To Revamp Notification System For iOS

Cult Of Mac is reporting that Apple is about to acquire a company to work on improving the notification system on iOS.

While Apple’s iOS is the best mobile operating system, its pop up notification system has been much maligned for being intrusive and modal, iOS competitors on the other hand have been doing a good job on this front of late. HP’s webOS for example has a banner notification system that has been widely acclaimed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mydan99
    mydan99 Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Certainly a major need and must for the next update, iOS has be far the worst notification system, something similar to web OS would be amazing, something that notifies you yet sleek and discrete... Not a bloody pop up!
  • anonymos
    anonymos Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I just don't get it what's wrong with this notification system?when i looked at one that android has, i didnt like it at all.I'm completely fine with what iOS got now.
  • James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress
    The article states: "While Apple’s iOS is the best mobile operating system...."ROFLMAO! Made my day that did.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    I had too chuckle at that too.Fee Fie Foe Fum I smell the stench of a fanboy man lololol
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Apple needs to acquire JB team to unlock phones, LOL.
  • Mikeyxx
    Mikeyxx Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    Status bar indictors like Notifier!
  • Abel
    Abel Posts: 183
    via Wordpress
    I don't mind the majority of the notifications. I just want them to incorporate t-lert. That app is amazing.
  • Bruhaha
    Bruhaha Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    They just need to get the BITEsms dev(s), and all would be perfect!!!
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress
    I agree with u there
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress
    Main I reason I am using Andriod for the time being even though I prefer IOS. The notifications are god aweful on iphone
  • SteveUnderhill
    SteveUnderhill Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    here here! great app, and a simple solution to not having real multitasking
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    Funny, but I've owned ios and Android. ios is a much more user friendly OS. Before you call me a fanboy, understand I had Android for a year and a half, and it took me a month to get it down. I switched to an iPhone, and understood the whole thing in less than a day. I haven't tried the windows phone OS, but if it's anything like the OC on a computer, then I'll stick with what I have.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    So what exactly is wrong with the notifications on ios? It's working fine as for as I could tell. The badges come in very quickly. The sounds chime in if I choose it. If I turn on alerts, the pop ups work well.It must be some inner workings that I'm not aware of. On the surface, it works well. From all the posts here, I haven't seen one single example of why it doesn't work.
  • Dr Puttingham
    Dr Puttingham Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    I agree with Abel. I personally use ELert as I don't SMS. Absolutely the best notification I've seen yet. Is a major reason for me to JB.
  • cristov
    cristov Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    I have been running Lockinfo with Nofified's GriP plugin... Its a pretty perfect notification system for the iPhone. I hope the new notification system in 5.0 is similar
  • LnS
    LnS Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    My main complaint and probably most peoples is that they are displayed as modal popu
  • LnS
    LnS Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Sorry 1 year old grabbed my phone haha... popups. They interior whatever you are doing and you HAVE to acknowlege them before being able to do anything else. This is especially a PITA when your on the phone and you get some texts. When you want to hang up you end up having to tap "ok" for each text before you can actually hang up the call.
  • John
    via Wordpress
    So the complaints are the popup notifications? There's an option to turn them off. There are 3 categories of push notifications that can be turned on or off, badges/sounds/alerts.
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    Maybe, multiple media notification such as voice, video, and photos
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    Apple should look to cydia to fix the problem maybe buy up the maker of bitesms they already do a great job with notifications.
  • Clayton Powell
    Clayton Powell Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    All I can say is FINALLY!!This is my one big gripe with the iOS. The notifications suck!
  • ---
    via Wordpress
  • Thor
    Thor Posts: 38
    via Wordpress
    You miss the point. We want notifications, they are necessary. We want better ones like other OSs have.
  • Thor
    Thor Posts: 38
    via Wordpress
    This has been explained in previous replies. The are modal pop ups that start stacking on top of each other and there is no log so I'd one is accidently dismissed it is gone forever. Maybe you do not understand what modal means. Once a popup is displayed, the device is frozen until it is given user input. Maybe I want to finish what I am doing like typing this reply befor responding to the three texts I just received.
  • John
    via Wordpress
    Yea, I understand now. The popup alerts do suck, but I personally don't use them except for sms. For the rest of my apps, I just have them set to sound/vibrate and badges. When something comes in, I hear the sound and know which app it's for such as mail, IM, game, etc. Once I unlock the phone, the badges tell me where to look incase I forget.
  • Mozbius
    Mozbius Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    I have played a little with Microsoft Phone 7 OS and I must say that I really don't like it. I've also played with Android OS which wasn't too bad (and actually there some features that iOS would definitely benefit from). Only os that I haven't tried is the Palm OS (the one from Palm Pre looked quite promising). Other than that I'd say Apple iOS is right now the way to go (especially with advanced features provided by Cydia!)
  • IdiotHunter
    IdiotHunter Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    They are pop ups. It's awful. They pop up in the middle of games, reading and phone calls, they heve no repect for time of day or if you are busy. A smart system would use gps to know when you've arrived at the location of your "3:00 meeting" or entered a movie theater. It would also put a small banner (like the one to return to call) at the top of the screen to inform you of notifications durring tandoori, and the whole phone wouldn't light up in the middle of the night. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that the way it does work is a pain in the a*$*s.
  • Jayydoggy
    Jayydoggy Posts: 28
    via Wordpress
  • yensid
    yensid Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I know this is a late reply, but I'd just like to point out that the thing this person is missing is that the pop-up notifications for text messages (which I'm sure MANY of us get frequently every day) can't be turned off.
  • rowu
    rowu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    What do you mean apple's notification system is "fine"... it sucks! When Android goes off, I know exactly which app is calling my attention. When iPhone goes "ding" I have NO frickin' idea! Even Apple knows it sucks, but they haven't figured it out. That is why they are "acquiring" a developer to fix it.