Apple's New Digital AV Adapter Brings HDMI Output To iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad And iPod Touch 4G

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple's New Digital AV Adapter Brings HDMI Output To iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad And iPod Touch 4G

Apple announced two new accessories at yesterday’s iPad 2 media event: the first one was the Smart Cover for iPad 2 and the other one was Apple Digital AV Adapter.

The Digital AV Adapter can be used for iPad 2’s video mirroring feature, which allows users to mirror slides, movies, photos or everything else that they see on the iPad 2 screen to a widescreen TV, video projection screen, or any HDTV compatible display.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ffbb
    Ffbb Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I think its pretty cool specially if u wanna play games on ur Tv
  • nicacolo
    nicacolo Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    Options
    So what about air play? Going backwards again? Using cords? Nobody wants that! Make air play HD.
  • Roger
    Roger Posts: 65
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Why not iPhone 3GS ? is it because its hardware doesn't allow it ??
  • iPhonemod
    iPhonemod Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    This one is very useful in my opinion
  • Michael Heister
    Michael Heister Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Sometimes you gotta crawl before you walk. Video output is pretty heavy stuff for a portable device to just shoot off. Also, I'm guessing this is a power-drainer, since Apple's cord has a second connector to keep the iPad2 powered up.
  • kingslik
    kingslik Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • marcosx
    marcosx Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    probably because it is not fast enough and powerful like thta others that can
  • larryw
    larryw Posts: 24
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Last time I checked, TVs in hotel rooms didn't support AirPlay, so having HDMI output is very nice.
  • iLauncher
    iLauncher Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    Options
    as iphonehacks has mentioned, only the ipad 2 will be able to mirror its screen onto an hd tv. so playing games will only be supported on the ipad 2 using this cable. not to mention, the game will still be running on the ipad 2 while its being mirrored on the tv. when r they going to allow games to be played via airplay? i thought this wud have been supported by default when airplay was launched. i understand it will require high speeds of streaming (100+ Mbps) from the ios device to the hd tv since the response to inputs shud be instant and lag cannot be tolerated even for a millisecond. but thats the job of the wifi router and not the airplay technology. there are so many decent cost-effective routers that support N technology of data stream speeds 150+ Mbps. come on apple, games via airplay FTW!!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Is int there some lag when mirroring?
  • KS
    KS Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Options
    pretty expensive, but it's good for streaming Netflix at your friends' house that don't have Netflix compatible plyer. You just bring this adapter with your iPad or iPhone...
  • Joe Scott
    Joe Scott Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I'm curious if this means that you will be able to charge the iPad via a computers USB. I have the original iPad, and none of the USB ports will charge it, the battery icon even says not charging. This would be a great new feature if it's true, as you'll be able to charge your iPad 3 from almost any device with a working USB port, unlike the original.
  • Joe Scott
    Joe Scott Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    *iPad 2, not iPad 3. Hit the wrong key, sorry. I'm jumping to the next model already.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Consumers asked for hdmi support. iPad competitors are touting hdmi support as an advantage. Apple answered.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Older computers have usb ports that supply insufficient power to charge the ipad while it's in use. With your ipad plugged into your computer usb port, it'll still charge once you put the ipad to sleep. It stops charging when you wake the ipad.Try it next time and observe the battery percentage after about 30 minutes.Newer computers have high power usb ports and will charge the ipad just fine while it's in use. Mine does so just fine. The fastest charge is still the wall plug.
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    Options
    This will never happen! I never understand why people come up with stupid ideas like this when the hardware is clearly not capable, this is on par with the idea of a 10" retina display! You have to remember most games are tweaked to he'll to get the best visual candy the iPad can deliver, there is no CPU left for rendering a second HD screen. Even something as powerful as a PS3 which has a remote feature doesn't work well with games if at all. And finally let me make it clear why we can't have a retina display on a 10" iPad. Apart from cost and technical complexities of manufacture the processor could not render to a screen 4x larger and manage 60fps. Sure Open GL's hardware acceleration would get you close but the majority of programs that don't use hardware acceleration would be pathetically slow. I should know, I've released a few iPad apps now.
  • Karro
    Karro Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I really loved the smart coverAnd maybe this one will be the most affective to the buyers as me
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Because they want us to upgrade.
  • jixer
    jixer Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    well mirroring ipod, ipad and iphone has been around for months on a JB device. this hdmi adapter is just an added bonus
  • Fyta
    Fyta Posts: 29
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Actually, mirrored output does not require rendering twice. Your screen is rendered to a video buffer. Then the contents of that video buffer are pushed to the display. A mirrored display just means routing the output to two locations. Has nothing to do with rendering twice.I can only assume that the HW for some reason doesn't have the capability to send the signal to two locations.
  • Bradley Kelly
    Bradley Kelly Posts: 26
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Yeah I want to know as well. Is it because it don't has Retina Display?
  • tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress
    Options
    This is an excellent point. Mirroring has been available with JB for months (almost from the beginning). Why can't we do mirroring on the original iPad?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Finally, a digital audio out for my iphone. I just got the adapter and it works great for playing music through my HDMI receiver. Much better than the headphone jack w/ rca adapter and cranking the iphone volume.
  • Glen
    Glen Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Cable does not work on iPhone 4 only audio for video streaming apps. This is not what was advertised by the apple website.
  • alukado
    alukado Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Well, Chinese people are always good at copying these gadgets, they are available on some sites at a affordable price.Check this one : http://www.slickgate.com/_p1832.html$39.99 + free shipping, I just placed the order and would let you know when it arrived.
  • ahmed
    ahmed Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I got this digital AV adapter and hdmi cable and connected to my 42"plasma panasonic tv via iPhone 4 but nothing is coming on screen, can anybody help me please.
  • Gilby
    Gilby Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Same problem... The adapter works fine on my friends Philips LCD TV but is useless on my Panasonic plasma! Back It goes to the shop!
  • Jp Pod
    Jp Pod Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    My iPod Touch 4g, dont wanna stream Videos or anything else, im just getting the audio!... any help?
  • nsfw
    nsfw Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I have a 2011 Panny Plasma and it works fine. Anyways, on the touch you can only use supported apps. Try for example to use the official youtube app or use your ipod to play videos you bought from itunes or videos you shot with the camera. I don't know what is officially supported. MLB app works. But I got displayout from cydia now so it doesn't matter. everything works.
  • Gilby
    Gilby Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Good news from you ****, could you tell me what HDMI cable you used (brand, fully wired?). Thanks