iPad 2 Data Plans: AT&T Vs Verizon

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPad 2 Data Plans: AT&T Vs Verizon

If you’re planning to buy iPad 2 with Wi-Fi+3G in the US, then it is important to remember that you get an option to select the model that either supports AT&T’s network or Verizon’s CDMA network – not both.

Though Verizon was selling the original iPad along with AT&T, the original iPad with Wi-Fi+3G only supported AT&T’s network so Verizon had to offer the MiFi mobile hotspot with the original iPad with Wi-Fi only model for 3G data.

Verizon’s iPad 2 3G Data Plans:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Assy McGee
    Assy McGee Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    I know it's obvious, but really tired of companies screwing us with 3G data. Unlimited should be unlimited. If I have unlimited data on my iPhone, I should be able to use it on the iPad without paying more. It would be like my ISP charging me separate data charges for each freaking device I have it hooked up to. My xbox, ps3, computer, appletv, and cable box. I know they don't give a crap and get away with it. Glad we got JB alternatives to avoid paying for 'extra' unlimited data. Assholes.
  • ohjayp
    ohjayp Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    I have been searching for a article like this but what I really want to know is which one is faster??I live in Houston and would really like some feedback on this. ATT or Verizon?
  • Davewcoble
    Davewcoble Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    The AT&T IPad is faster (always) and better for almost all of Texas ( I live in Texas right now 2 ) look up the soliderknows best video on comparing the verizon at http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/profile?user=SoldierKnowsBest&v=pFxMux2PyoU&view=videos this is over iPhone 4 but it's the same concept as iPad
  • Gary
    Gary Posts: 37
    via Wordpress
    I can't wait to get a AT&T iPad 2. Currently using s verizon MiFi in Wash. DC and it just sucks. Streaming video is of poor quality and often hangs while it is buffering. Verizon has better voice but data speeds sucks bawls.
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress
    Got a question....is the weight of the ipad 2 same on At&t and verizon or different? Thanks
  • Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    I am going to get the 64gb iPad 2 on AT&T, i will probably chose the postpaid 2gb plan
  • Dustin
    Dustin Posts: 116
    via Wordpress
    Get the wifi version and get Sprint's 4G mobile hotspot. I think they call it clear? i would LOVE to have 10Mbps 4G on my iPad....
  • iPad user
    iPad user Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Verizon's pricing is smarter. Most people will opt for the 3gb $35 plan but use less than 2gb. ATT customers will only pay $25. ATT is leaving money on the table. They should both consider a $40-$45 unlimited plan. Many would select this plan fearing going over. Greater profits for the carriers and piece of mind for the customers.
  • Jrmedic19
    Jrmedic19 Posts: 31
    via Wordpress
    I'll be getting the Wi-Fi only version. I can't see spending the extra money for an extra data plan when I already carry my JB iPhone EVERYWHERE I go. As for the differences in carriers. Chevy or Ford.....Verizon or AT&T (lol) we can argue forever about which is what and better and why. It's still a matter of opinion and personal experience and always will be.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Not great data plans by any stretch.
  • Ordinary_guyz
    Ordinary_guyz Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    guys.. are the ipad2 3G model is the factory Unlocked?
  • josemir da silva
    josemir da silva Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    ipad2 on verizon. AT&T is only edge where I live.
  • Sfgf
    Sfgf Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Att has great speeds and coverage in houston
  • Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress
    AT&T doesn't make sense. You save more money with postpaid plan as oppose to the prepaid plan. Shouldn't the deal be with the prepaid plan to lure the customer in?
  • welbo
    welbo Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    The 3g version of the ipad has gps hardware built in that allows you to use mapping apps. So i got the 3g version even though I didnt buy a plan. I wonder if it will be the same in the ipad2? As for data, mywi from my 4 unlimited. Although mywi is starting to suck too. Had to buy it again when ios4 came out and now they want more $$$ to unlock more features. Maybe mywi really is a secret Apple product.
  • Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress
    I like the personal service I get with AT&T so I am going with the ipad2/32 with AT&T 3G.
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress
    I kind of agree in a way, but you said it. You are paying for unlimited data on your 'iPhone'. Not on your iPad. So if you want 3G data on your iPad you have three choices, buy a data package for the iPad (legit way). Use your iPhone as a personal hotspot (jailbreak) or wait for next release of iOS. Or take the SIM out of your iPhone and put it in your iPad. Unless of course you have verizon, then I guess your option is to tether.
  • iPad user
    iPad user Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Real competition will occur when one device can handle multiple carriers. Imagine being able to switch carriers on the fly as they fight each other. Buying either iPad 2 ties you in to a carrier. The jailbreak solution is best only if you already have unlimited data on your iPhone. No additional monthly fee, plus unlimited data on your iPad 2.
  • smartfuck
    smartfuck Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    are you sure that mywi is charging more?? Like what do you mean? I use mywi and everything works perfect!
  • Ladieb2
    Ladieb2 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I agree, I'm sticking with At&T also. 1. There service is great! 2.I'm scared Verizon will cut out features like they always do. 3. I rather have faster downloads.
  • Carol
    Carol Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    I've been between the Ipad2 and xoom...leaning toward Ipad. Will get it unlocked or whatever you call it and use my sprint mifi. Anyone know if that can work. BTW....I'll be using Ipad to download their NOAA charts app to bring boat up Atlantic Coast from GA to NH. I'll actually have it as a backup to my Chartplotters.
  • Carol
    via Wordpress
    Can you actually buy a gps receiver? Is it like a GPS puck? looks like a hockey puck? I've heard they use that at sea to navigate.
  • Carol
    via Wordpress
    I was on a loooong time with an Apple tech today and unless I misunderstood him, I can use the wifi, 3g, gps with my sprint mifi. Use my own carrier. Does anyone know differently? I hope I didn't misunderstand him.
  • Carol
    via Wordpress
    do you mean buy an external gps for use when a sprint customer? where do you get that?
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    Both my ipod and ipad use the GPS built into the GPS from the verizon mifi unit. No need for internal GPS in the IPad.
  • Brian F
    Brian F Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    AT&T customer now and its service is the WORST i've ever had, NO and I mean ZERO bars on my daily commute to NYC from central NJ. Just not accessible at all, it goes in and out of service, dropes Wifi all the time.... I hate IT.I will buy Verizon as a 2nd iPad, and give the junker to my kid..
  • Alec
    Alec Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Verizon sucks. You have to buy a plan for the ipad 2 upon purchase. On the otherhand, Att doesnt require you to buy a plan.
  • dee
    dee Posts: 56
    via Wordpress
  • tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress
    Nobody can force you to sign up for a plan. I bought mine without a plan and told the apple salesman that I would sometime in the future when I am ready to travel. I do have a question, though. On the month to month Verizon data plan is there an activation charge added each time you sign up for it?
  • Rick
    Rick Posts: 104
    via Wordpress
    No... i spoke with Verizon last night and it was confirmed that there is no activation fee. you can cancel anytime you want etc... just like ATT..im still debating... ATT customer service is one of the absolute worst... verizon on the other hand dont use sim card so that could be an issue for me if im traveling. other than that i'd go with verizon but sim card issue is making me think more