U.S. Senators Request Apple To Remove iPhone Apps That Provide DUI Checkpoint Locations From App Sto

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageU.S. Senators Request Apple To Remove iPhone Apps That Provide DUI Checkpoint Locations From App Store

A group of US Senators have sent an email to Apple, requesting them to remove iPhone apps that provide DUI (Driving Under Influence) checkpoint (also called “sobriety roadblocks”) locations from the App Store.

iPhone apps like Trapster alert users about speed traps, red light, speed cameras and other law enforcement checkpoints so that they can avoid them. They're quite popular on the App Store.

CNET reports:

Read the full story here

Comments

• JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    They shouldn't. The idea is to prevent DUI's from happening, not making sure they squeeze every single person for every dime they have, even if they just have one or two beers. Maybe if they'd amend the app to include a taxi service, or call someone on their favorite's list, people wouldn't be upset about this app.
  • drrjv
    drrjv Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I doubt many drunks are using these Apps, so this is more a publicity stunt by our Senators (don't they have real work to do, like making a reasonable budget?). Do we want our Senators telling us what we can and can't put on our phones?
  • JayeDee369
    JayeDee369 Posts: 30
    via Wordpress
    They actually have a button on the bottom of the app that says call for taxi service and it lists different cab services in that particular area. I also agree with drrjv, these guys are just trying to find something else to do instead of their "jobs". I'm actually surprised these buffoons are still in office. How about you get in the fight against those that are trying to break up unions and put more people out of work-that was your rallying cry right-MORE JOBS?!?! How about you get to work doing that.
  • marcosx
    marcosx Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    yeah i dont think drunk people can even see their phones. also i know many people who use this to get around them because they aren't legal here in the US so if they pass a check point (even thou this type of check points are illegal) they get kick out of the country by boarder patrols.
  • RBD2
    RBD2 Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. Next they would go after sites that list speed traps and photo radar. I agree just politicians trying to justify there huge retirement packages. If you are sober enough to have the piece of mind open a mapping app and plot a stealth alternate route to you destination, then you are probably under the legal limit anyway.
  • VoIP
    VoIP Posts: 24
    via Wordpress
    It's rarely about Public Safety and most always about the money .. if it truely isn't about the money, then there would be an alternative punishment
  • jaimeguevara
    jaimeguevara Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    the police are required by law to release this type of information to the public.
  • Mitch
    Mitch Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    I bet if they could tax these apps they would start to like them
  • george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress
    no we leave that to apple.. *ZING*.. lol
  • Doz
    Doz Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    Yup, I repeat after drrjv, don't they hav freaking jobs to do? US is racking up projected $14 trillion, and these so-called lawmakers or congress people are talking about DUI preventive apps. I bet they were probably texting and driving, i.e, if they aren't driven by chauffeurs.
  • Reguard32@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress
    Best advertisement for trapster ever
  • hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress
    They do, it's called a sales tax.
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    How does advertising DUI checkpoints do anyone any good? Is anyone going to say that it's a good idea to show drunks how to get home without getting picked up? Drunk people can't read? B.S. Do you even drink?
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    So you have any idea how much we spend on catching drunks? Trust me, police/city/states make nearly zero money off of it... once you add in police time, overtime for special events, prosecution time, paying for public attorneys, paying a judge/jury(if needed), paying for incarceration(if only for a night or two to see the judge). It's about getting drunks off the road, not money.
  • Michael Heister
    Michael Heister Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Great idea, Senators, because NOBODY is going to think to simply set up a Twitter hashtag.Meanwhile, as others have pointed out, at least some of these apps make it easier to call a taxi.Idiots.
  • Johnny
    Johnny Posts: 93
    via Wordpress
    Typical dem...They always will pass laws to take away your rights and say it's in the name of public safety. I will never vote for another dem as long as i live!!!!
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress
    I mean, what the hell is the point of this? The last thing you'd be able to do when you're drunk is remember, oh crap, I should pull my iPhone out and check the DUI checkpoints. That is the last thing on your mind let alone being able to even operate your iPhone to search for the checkpoints. And if you are capable enough to pull your iPhone out while you're hammered, then you probably aren't all that drunk after all. What is next, banning websites from discussing DUI checkpoint locations? Because I'll just use safari and pull it up through a web-app. If this is what Congress is worried about when the US is flat broke and involved in three wars, then they need a slap in the face. Something called priorities comes to mind...
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    LOL, that will help them catch more people, eh
  • Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 327
    via Wordpress
    just another reason people will goto jail breaking. If app store removes it, it will go to the underground of app distribution.
  • TeacherKen
    TeacherKen Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    They are called lawmakers because that is their job. You have misused so-called. But that is okay because you are a so-called human. Oh by the way I agree with everything you said. These so-called lawmakers need to stop being republicans and democrats and start making gay ****. That would create a lot of new sc-called jobs in the television industry.
  • TeacherKen
    TeacherKen Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Are you serious? You will never vote for a democrat for as long as you live? Never is an awfully long time. With all of the union busting that the republicans are doing lately I am sure you'll change your mind, unless you like to bust unions and make babies hungry at night because daddy had to chose between food or medication! That poor little baby! Oh by the way I agree with you, the democrats like to take the tax breaks away from the mega corporations and the super wealthy! They are so evil, only resenting the working class! The everyday man/woman/gay/black/Asian/human is who the democrats protect from the horrid drunk driving idiot republicans.
  • shea
    shea Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Look, if you wanna complain about sumthing how about you spend your time with the jaywalking tickets they give out and not the DUI Checkpoints which stop drunk douche bags like you..im guessing.
  • netsnake
    netsnake Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Are you kidding me? Of course they make money off of it our local jail charges $50.00 a night for the privilege of staying there. Why else do small towns have brand new police cruisers to drive, and pull people over for anything like bumping the curb and crossing the centerline its all b.s. and really how many drunks can you catch by lining up 7 cruisers with their lights on? They would have better luck setting up a 50 ft beer bottle and a sign that says drunks enter here for free oil change. I'm also thinking this should piss more people off for being an attempt at stopping a form of free speech.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress
    IPhone apps Wow! This is nothing new to me. I don’t understand why this is a big problem. If people pay their hard earn money for something then they should have it. However, our government could do anything they want and its ok, but when it comes down to it citizens we are too stupid to think for ourselves. What is next for us? Will our government tell apple to remove all the fast food apps because people are overweight?