iPhone Hacking News: Instructions to Install Third-Party iPhone Apps using Installer.app for iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Hacking News: Instructions to Install Third-Party iPhone Apps using Installer.app for iPhone OS v1.1.1

Based on reader comments it looks like the various posts on iPhone jailbreaking, hacking, and unlocking for iPhone v1.1.1 has only resulted in confusing everyone, and I wouldn't blame you, it has got me confused as well. Unfortunately at this point of time things aren't as easy as it was...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Lumos
    Lumos Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

You Guys Rock! Thanks For Answering All Our Questions!

• Sara
    Sara Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

That really throws a lot of light. But a basic question I would like to ask is "I have a brand new iPhone with firmware v1.1.1. Is there a solution for me to use a non AT&T SIM in that?" I'm sure there are a lot more out there just like me with this question in mind.

• hardme
    hardme Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Yep, same question here. And the answer is... to wait.

• iPhone Hacks
    iPhone Hacks Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Hey Sara,

The answer to your question is YES but it is not for free and it is not for the faint hearted, iPhoneSIMFree have released the first unlocking solution for iPhone OS v1.1.1 so that you can use non-AT&T SIM.

You can read all the details about it at this link:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2007/10/iphoneunlock111.html

If you are looking for a free solution then 'hardme' is right, you will need to wait as the iPhone Dev Team is yet to release their latest version of anySIM which will unlock iPhone OS v1.1.1.

cheers!

• Hackz R Us
    Hackz R Us Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

WAIT EVRYONE!!

There's gotta be a better way to install 3rd party applications out there compared to the info that had been circling around with too many steps.I suggest everyone to wait because you certainly dont wanna mess up you Iphones.As new technology arise new softwares come along also and BUGS that comes with it.patience is a Virtue.

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

Question,

Ok - I have read this a few times but not getting it please help. =?

Ok I Have a iphone running version- 1.0.2
    I have tons of 3rd party apps installed via installer app from before. I havent upgraded to 1.1.1 because I was afraid I would loose them.

I also have AT&T for my service provider so the sim unlock problem will not apply to me.

So do I need to install the new version 1.1.1 then re jailbreak my phone to get the new installer app on it?

Great article - love my 3rd party apps trying to find the EASYEST wasy to do this.

I guess waiting for a easier method might be an option. =)

Please help

• iPhone Hacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Jason,

You are right, you will lose all your 3rd-party apps if you upgrade to v1.1.1.

If you upgrade to v1.1.1 you will need to jailbreak your iPhone and then install Installer.app by following the instructions mentioned in this article. You can then re-install the 3rd-party apps using Installer.app.

Also it would be a good idea to check out the list of apps that currently work with iPhone v1.1.1 by following this link:
    http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/UIKit_Based_Applications
    as it would pointless to upgrade if your favorite 3rd-party app does not work with v1.1.1 currently.

Hackz R Us is quite right, it would be a better idea to wait so that the jailbreaking process as well as installation of Installer.app is made more simpler, hopefully with a GUI based tool until then enjoy the 3rd-party apps on iPhone OS v1.0.2.

cheers!

• anemic
    anemic Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

3rd party apps and firmware 1.1.1 are defiantly possible. I followed the how to on this site and had no problems what so ever http://www.iphonealley.com/news/iphone-v1-1-1-jailbreak-apptapp-installation-guide

• Sara
    via Wordpress

Hey iPhone Hacks & hardme,

Thanks for the reply. But Im sorry to say that the information out there is still confusing me. Thats because of the info from iphone deve team's website itself ( http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Activate_1.1.1 )is talking about Activating with non AT&T sim.

There is also this link which looks very promising. ( http://iphone.simbunch.com/iphone.activate.1.1.1.php )

I dont mind even the hardest technical route as Im an unix engineer myself. I will never pay for unlocking / activating.

• iPhone Hacks
    via Wordpress

Hi Sara,

I picked this up from iPhoneSIMFree website and it should help in resolving the confusion:

"There is a difference between unlocking and activation. Unlocking is related to GSM standards and allowing a SIM to be used on different carriers (which is what you are looking for), and activation is something made up by Apple to further restrict their users."

If your iPhone is not unlocked, then your phone will report "Incorrect SIM" when you insert a non-AT&T SIM.

iPhone Dev Team have released instructions to activate iPhone OS v1.1.1 however they are still to release the version of anySIM, their free unlocking method, which will work with iPhone OS v1.1.1 so that the iPhone does not report non-AT&T's as "Incorrect SIM".

cheers!

• Sara
    via Wordpress

Thanks a ton iPhone Hacks! That made things crystal clear. I shall jailbreak my iPhone and use it as an iPod Touch for the time being and wait for the unlock from iPhone Dev.

Thanks again.

• Hackz R Us
    Hackz R Us Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Sounds better but still cloudy...the supposed easy jailbreak from ATLAS still requires the same procedure peresented here and other websites regarding downgrade to 1.0.2 firmware.Are we expecting the jailbreak for Ibrckr for windows to come soon?

• shai
    shai Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I installed the installer 1.1.1 alpha after jailbraking 1.1.1 and the instructions say
    [QUOTE]!!! THE TWO STEPS BELOW ARE NOT REQUIRED TO INSTALL SUMMERBOARD !!!

If you want to undo the previous SpringBoard patch, move:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard.original -> /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard[/QUOTE]

However, after using ssh to access the phone and navigating to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ I only see springboard @ 777,964 bytes (i think), but I donot see a SpringBoard.original file. Where is this SpringBoard.original file supposed to be?

• Mario Larios
    Mario Larios Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I install the sendsong and my iphone is death...what's wrong? help please!!!

• Ramadoss.N
    Ramadoss.N Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey, I have a an iphone which is manufactured in the week of 42 pre loaded v1.0.2. I have unlocked the iphone with same version. Is it possible to upgrade to v1.1.2. In this case again I have to jailbreak the iphone to unlock it/ when I update the software with itunes, present installer will accepts the software and keep the phone unlocked to use in other GSM carriers? kindly Let me know.
    Thanks
    Ramadoss.N

• J Yao
    J Yao Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hi there,

does it work for firmware 1.1.2?

i followed the instructions using my mac, but the following error came up on my terminal:

-bash: scp-r/Applications/Installer.app: No such file or directory

my phone is unlocked and already jailbreaked. i'm doing this again cos i lost my installer icon. i downloaded to many applications before i installed summerboard, so i'm not able to scroll through my springboard.

help pls! thankssss!

• J Yao
    J Yao Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hi again,

i tried it again, now this came up instead:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.13 port 22: Connection refused
    lost connection

any idea what's wrong?

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

my phone is unlocked and already jailbreaked. i'm doing this again cos i lost my installer icon. i downloaded to many applications before i installed summerboard, so i'm not able to scroll through my springboard.

Did anyone answer this, because I have the same problem?

• Floe
    Floe Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm not too computer savvy but I know how to follow directions...lol. When I clicked the icon to download the installer app for my iphone from this sites supported url, "nullriver" it said that it was no longer available for me to download. Can u please get back to me with a way that I can download this app. I really need some help.

Thanks