Onavo Helps You Save Money By Compressing iPhone’s Data Usage [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageOnavo Helps You Save Money By Compressing iPhone’s Data Usage [Updated]

Folks at Onavo have released an iPhone app on the App Store couple of days back, which claims to save up to 80% on your data plans and save you money on data usage.

It does this by compressing your iPhone’s data stream in the background by connecting your iPhone to their cloud-based technology, dubbed the “magical shrinking machine”.

Onavo explains how their app works:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Toni pepperoni
    Toni pepperoni Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    It's not fishy. Sounds cool.
  • Moose
    Moose Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    If the compression is done on the server side, that means you still have to upload data to the server to be compressed.. how does this save on data charges?? think about it....
  • compressionJoe
    compressionJoe Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    It is compressing the incoming data. If you have ever watched your data usage it is normally mostly from receive and not from TX. Of course if you upload youtube.com videos etc the opposite is true, but normal data is mostly RX. Notice he mentions maps in the post. Mostly RX.
  • jose
    jose Posts: 138
    via Wordpress
    Doesn't slow you down, but this could be due to drastic picture quality drop. Either way verry useful for roaming, still, it is probably still in it's testing stages that's most likely why it's still free. I think it's a great app so far
  • Ted Mosby
    Ted Mosby Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    It is a good idea but I don't want another company looking at my data. Google, Apple, and the NSA are enough for now. I use wifi when I travel abroad.
  • Tuan
    Tuan Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    It's sad how big companies like at&t are able to provide data at a much lower cost, yet they only provide 200mb and 2gb data plans designed to rip off consumers. A 200mb plan is essentially nothing, you cannot view more than 5 youtube videos before you'd get charged an extra $15. Even worse, say you go out and buy a smart phone and pay full price, it is yours, but once you put in your sim you're required to pay them for a noncompetitive priced data plan. It shows corporations are very greedy and willing to gain whatever even when the country is already in a shithole.
  • Don Johnsson
    Don Johnsson Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Take care the server is in Israel! It sounds scary to me.
  • Dvir Reznik
    Dvir Reznik Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hi guys,Dvir from Onavo here - appreciate the review and your comments. You're welcome to our support forum to join the conversation and stay updated on open topics: http://getsatisfaction.com/onavoRegarding some of the comments raised:Onavo is a VC-backed startup, aimed at helping users take back control of their phone's data usage, understanding what's costing them and helping to reign in these costs. Meet our team: http://blog.onavo.com/2011/02/meet-the-onavo-team/ .Indeed we currently support iPhone only, but working on an iPad version and hope to release it very soon. Since launch we encountered some connectivity issues with selected carriers - please visit the forum for details on that.We take our user's privacy very seriously so we store only the bare minimum necessary to support the service - all aggregated and anonymized. We do not store any content such as messages, passwords, etc. Additionally, any sensitive content that is encrypted (HTTPS) can not and will not be processed by Onavo.Onavo is free for a limited time, following the launch April 29th, but in the future we will charge for our service. A small fee in exchange for great savings.I'll be happy to answer any additional comments or questions, here, on our forum or via email: support at onavo.com.Dvir.
  • Moose
    Moose Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
  • Ingm83
    Ingm83 Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    yeah u right man !
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress
    yea im not a big fan of my information being on someone elses server being compressed and copied probably
  • DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress
    looks like its just a proxy service, to tell their server whenre to get the data, it compresses it and send it to your iphone app, which then decompresses it and then sends it to you browser or app.Honestly if you care about your privacy you wouldnt consider this, in fact you wouldnt be using a mobile phone since your ISP is required to keep a list of sites you visit. But its good for people just wanting to reduce costs and dont care. keep in mind this service wouldnt work with https encrypted traffic.
  • Luke
    Luke Posts: 51
    via Wordpress
    This is why I'm swiching to Sprint in June...
  • Spiky
    Spiky Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    God bless swedem. No fucking data limits nor internet tethering here. Only in US and Gay
  • Digitaltouch
    Digitaltouch Posts: 48
    via Wordpress
    Paying a flat rate here but for other ppl sounds ok.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    So people not on official dont benefit, sad.
  • Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress
    Not working for my IPad 2 on Verizon network..Operator not supported... Sucks....
  • Reguard
    Reguard Posts: 24
    via Wordpress
    Might work to hide tethering from carriers
  • 4ror
    4ror Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Id imagine if you use their service they will have a lot of metrics about you and will target ads some how to make money. They just need to introduce it free for a year then they will have your exact locations you visit frequently, search keywords, URLs, what's apps you have installed, and probably how you like your morning tea or coffee?? Mobile or wifi data if the app is always running it always knows...
  • iLauncher
    iLauncher Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    Onavo isn't working for me. After installing d profile i started 3G. Although I got an ip address, I cudnt open any URL. Safari wud timeout after a few secs for any website. I even rebooted my iPhone 4 but still d same prob. After removing d profile my 3G started working again. I cud open all URLs now. My carrier (Vodafone India) is supported by apple n I'm running 4.2.1 jailbroken via sn0wbreeze 2.5Can anyone confirm whether Onavo works on Vodafone India or what I'm doin wrong here? Thanx in advance
  • Roi
    Roi Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    Contact @onavo on Twitter or support@onavo.com to get it fixed.
  • Jaa Guevarra
    Jaa Guevarra Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • que_pasa_hombr3
    que_pasa_hombr3 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    It's not working for me. "We're sorry. Your operator is not supported". My iphone is unlocked on Orange Romania with Gevey.
  • akri
    akri Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    Totally unrelated but def worth mentioning..BIN LADEN IS DEAD!!!!!Oh happy day!!!! ;)
  • KR
    KR Posts: 41
    via Wordpress
  • akri
    akri Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    Kr if I could I would.. I would have loved to have that bastard's head myself.
  • geekinit
    geekinit Posts: 65
    via Wordpress
    I can't believe this is actually possible using Apple iOS APIs. I mean since when can an app control functionality at the operating system level???
  • Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 124
    via Wordpress
    This doesnt really make sense - the party that is sending the data controls what is sent and how it's received, not the party receiving the data. You've already received the data by the time this app has the data to be compressed.
  • Quone
    Quone Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Great app, been using it for a couple of months and saved over 100mb. But I have unlimited data so it doesn't really help me I just wanted to test it out in case I ever drop my UNlimited Data plan