Microsoft Acquires Skype For $8.5 Billion - What Does It Mean For iPhone Users?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageMicrosoft Acquires Skype For $8.5 Billion - What Does It Mean For iPhone Users?

After several rumors that Google and Facebook were in talks with Skype to buy them, Microsoft has surprised everyone by announcing that it has acquired Skype for $8.5 billion.

Skype’s VoIP app for iPhone is one of the most popular apps on the App Store.

Microsoft and Skype issued the following joint statement on what this acquisition will mean:

Read the full story here

Comments

• WozUK
    WozUK Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Could go either way. I'm know there are iPhone users who pay for Skype credit and I'm sure the branding of Skype will remain the same. I don't see this becoming an issue for iOS users as, at the end of the day, we are still part of the user base. Quite a large one i imagine.
  • Aaron Guilmette
    Aaron Guilmette Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I believe Microsoft will continue to develop for non-MS platforms, especially in light of yesterday's announcement for the release of the Azure development toolkit for IOS and the forthcoming toolkit for Android in June.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    TIll Windows phone 7 does not become popular what will they do by not supporting iOS>
  • dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress
    I think this will accelerate native iPad versions of skype, hopefully looking/acting more like it's desktop counterparts
  • Lé
    via Wordpress
    Damn!! This is a super bad news!!
  • Ohyouknow
    Ohyouknow Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Sure hope this doesn't mean that Linux will be neglected..
  • DrunkMunki
    DrunkMunki Posts: 62
    via Wordpress
    If Microsoft was smart they would develop for all OS's and reap in the profits from sales, if Microsoft was dumb they would consolidate all skype use to windows and try to force people to use windows for the software, reducing its profits but ensuring it keeps the tech away from Apple.i shall look on with some popcorn in hand.
  • jussayin
    jussayin Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    funny as KPN and I'm sure within the coming months other networks will follow, announced it will be charging extra for using skype over their network!!!!!! probably another dumb ass thing microsoft has done, after their venture with nokia......