Concept Videos Of iOS 5 Features: Speech Recognition, Faster App Switching, Widgets & Notification S

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageConcept Videos Of iOS 5 Features: Speech Recognition, Faster App Switching, Widgets & Notification System

Jan-Michael Cart - a junior majoring in Mass Media Arts at the University of Georgia has created concept videos of features such as speech recognition, widgets, faster app switching and Push notification system to show how these features should be implemented in iOS 5.

Cart says that the purpose of creating these concept videos is to spark innovation and evolution in the developer community and hopefully within Apple itself. He hopes that it will open up job opportunities in the future.

Read the full story here

Comments

• doughnet
    doughnet Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    Interesting. Couldnt these things be done with the current iOS 4 by a developer?
  • Marusya
    Marusya Posts: 58
    via Wordpress
    yes.. but it's about moving forward.. and not backwards... to make us by a new one every few years...
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress
    didnt care too much for the notification concept it was ok but kind of like mobile notifier all of the other concepts werent that bad especially the widget one
  • Tyler 927
    Tyler 927 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Looks awesome! I think with the widgets taking up that much space they need to improve the folders
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    The concept is looks very good. But, I feel the home buttom is used to much ~ in fact, sleep and home button is too weak in iPhone series. Otherwise, all applications are using too much. Specially, home buttom. Maybe, apple need to improve the mechanical life ~
  • neo1111
    neo1111 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    apple should hire this guy...
  • iRSX
    iRSX Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    Apple needs to either hire this guy or steal his ideas. Stat.
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    I don't think this has been very well thought out. If you hold down the home button to bring up task manager you get the voice recognition dialog! I've never understood the need for improved notifications however if Apple do implement it they need to display more than one notification at once. Same goes for task manager, we need an overview of multiple apps, otherwise this is the same as multi-touch gesture task switching which developers have been able to use for months.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Will they need a dual core for this, I think so.
  • Woodlandstar
    Woodlandstar Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Love the widgets, the option to alter the size is great too. The notifications seem ok, I think the simplest and easiest option for Apple would be to add a new app to the home screen called 'Notifications' which when opened would show a history of all notifications sorted into groups I.e- one for facebook, which when pressed expands all the previous notifications regarding facebook. The usual swipe to remove could apply, and also to turn push notifications to 'private' so it says '1 new notification' instead of what the notification is about. Reason for this is I don't particually like a notification for some farming game pop up when I'm showing the lads pics of my new girlfriend! :)
  • bORK
    bORK Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    FALSE HEADLINE! THESE ARE NOT CONCEPT VIDEOS OF iOS5 - THEY ARE CONCEPT VIDEOS BY AN INDEPENDENT CONCEPT GUY!
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    Nice ideas and very well thought out except on the app switching. Most people, myself included, don't want to have to use both hands to use their phones. As far as the other features great job maybe Apple will at least see them and take notes.
  • Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress
    I'm not a fan of the widgets. Such a clunky process.
  • lawrence
    lawrence Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    The most needed feature is a simple way to force quit apps... Default should be to quit all apps at once.... Apple's reputation for simplicity and ease of use depends on it...I've spent so much time trying to help parents, GF and other family memebers just quit an app that is acting up...Concept videos look great...Only request would be in the demo for notificaton to zoo in on top bar...can't really see what's going on. The other were very interesting and exciting. THANKS!!
  • Songohans
    Songohans Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    I like the speech recognition idea :-)The faster app-switching is similar to the one included on the ipad when you enable the developer mode, using 4 fingers swipe, me like me like :-)Not a fan of widgets, me no like >:-/The notification concept doesn't convince me...Great Job Jan but i am not impressed.El JobsoSent from my Xoom
  • Yeah buddy
    Yeah buddy Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    all of that is sweet. but im not a big fan of widgets but i like the rest for sure!!Sent from my badass iPad
  • Dan Bradley
    Dan Bradley Posts: 81
    via Wordpress
    Something that really bothers me about iPhone, is the interface. It's terrible, HUGE icons, boring colors and no user control to expand options. Apple should be less worried about aesthetics of the body of the phone and worry about what really matters to 75% of iPhone users who have a sense of style. If I am paying $300 for a new iPhone, I want it to be my phone, not a standard replica set by apple. Until this happens, I will never be satisfied with the iPhone, I will always hack into my phone and design my own interfaces.
  • KastBlast
    KastBlast Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Show me something new. Old ideas on a shitty OS. Apple needs to keep up. I'm tired of these stupid ideas.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    Hmmmm keep an eye on Apple patents me thinks lol
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    I think it would be a better idea to have a notifications banner pop up where the page dots and magnifying glass are at the foot of the screen. I've always found those indicators kinda redundant and a waste of screen space since the introduction of folders. I for one tend to know which screen i'm on and which way i need to swipe to get to something else. As for always having to press the home key and double tap to invoke speech recognition, maybe a switch in settings to turn on/off voice recy and swiping an empty text box to invoke it. Leave tapping/double tapping for editing the mistakes. Possibly use a double tap swipe combo to add more voice recognition to a partialy completed doc/txt.
  • TN17
    TN17 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I love everything about the iOS5. Can't wait till it comes out
  • Agent Red
    Agent Red Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Let's see, the first two words in the headline are, "Concept Videos"... Just sayin'.
  • geekinit
    geekinit Posts: 65
    via Wordpress
    It's always 10000 times easier to make a YouTube video than to redevelop software. I find software designers are always better at making software look good and less talented at covering all the scenarios.